Goddesses of the Week - requests, etc.

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Goddesses of the Week - requests, etc.

Post by Windwalker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:32 am

Okay, in the interest of clarity, this thread is a carry on from the Uncle Ragnar thread in the Paganism section.

Post requests and ideas for Goddess of the Week here, and hopefully someone who knows a bit about her will offer to write the article. Or just say you'd like to write an article on whichever goddess you want, to claim the week, if you know what I mean.

Shut up, it's late and my brain is turning to mush.

Previous Goddesses of the Week:
Bast - http://www.paganlibrary.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4812
Ceridwen - http://www.paganlibrary.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4825
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:39 am

Thanks Windwalker, Ragnar, Jescissa, Kitsune, Daibanjo, and everyone else involved with the speading of learning. :-D

Does anyone know about a sea Goddess named Ran? She hails from Europe somewhere...I think. :-k
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:30 pm

You're welcome :-D I'm looking forward to seeing who will write what next week!

I've not heard of Ran? She sounds Norse to me... Uncle Ragnar...do you know a Ran?
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:31 pm

Encyclopedia Mythica says:
Ran
by Micha F. Lindemans
Ran is the goddess of storms, and the wife of the sea god Aegir. She rules over the realm of the dead which is situated on the bottom of the ocean. She sinks ships and collects drowned sailors in her nets and takes them to her hall where she tenderly ministers them (drowned persons neither go to Valhalla nor to Helheim). With Aegir she is the mother of nine daughters (the billows), who wore white robes and veils.

Article "Ran" created on 03 March 1997; last modified on 20 November 1997 (Revision 2). 78 words.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/r/ran.html
© MCMXCV - MMVI Encyclopedia Mythica™. All rights reserved.
http://www.pantheon.org

Usually, when I want a little bit of info on a god/goddess, I go here, which give me enough info to look for reference.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

I think that I would really like to find out more about her. I would offer to do this weeks again, but I'm insanely busy this week. :roll:

She's got my vote for interesting gods & goddesses though. :lol:

I love water deities. =P~
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Ran sounds very interesting! Is there anyone on the boards, besides Ragnar, who follows a Norse/Asatru path? Is Born of the Earth still active?? It would be really interesting to hear stories about a Norse Goddess this time around, I don't know much about them at all, but it was very interestin when Ragnar told us about Tyr/Tiw!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:27 pm

Well, if Uncle Ragnar's too busy for story time, I'll see what I can find, but it won't be nearly as good... *hint, hint ;) *
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:35 pm

I might be able to do some Indian Goddesses if there is interest.

But I would love if someone could tell more about Gaia!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:50 pm

Well, I can't find anything on Ran that Kystar didn't already produce, unless Ragnar knows more. If Willow wants to share... :-D

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Willow, as for Indian, do you mean Hindu or Native American? If you're talking about Hindu goddesses, I've always wanted to learn more about the goddess Kali. I dunno why, but her image has become fascinating to me, but I just haven't gotten around to REALLY researching her besides knowing she's supposed to be something of a war goddess wearing a belt of skulls (of her enemies?). Anyway, just an idea I thought I'd put out there! 8-)
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm

I can do Kali, I know a reasonable amount about her. She can be a bit hard to process.

I'll start writing an article on her, and if we can't find someone to do Ran, I'll post it on Sunday. Or Monday, because it's still Sunday for heaps of you when it's Monday here :-D

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:41 pm

Aye. Ran and Aegir are the sea eqivalents of Odinn and Frigg.

Heimdallr, the guardian of the rainbow bridge, Bifrost, is their son. My surname is a kenning on Hemdallr; Vågmörnasson.

Which breaks down so;

Våg = wave, mörnas = maidens, and son.

Aegir owns the brewing kettle which was stollen by Thorr, Loke and Tyr, to take to Vallhala, and it brews enough mead per day to satisfy the whole of Asgard, with more to spare.

Ran is deffinately the boss in this relationship. It is her who selects who gets into her halls.

I wrote on a thread about traditions at sea. One of them is to carry gold. It is by sacrificing this gold to Ran, that can save shipwrecked sailors. Or if they can not be saved, and Ran chooses them to go to her halls, then the gold is an offereing of thanks for being chosen.

Tyr is also known as "The son of nine Mothers". It is accepted by some that he is the Brother, or half Brother of Heimdallr.

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:37 pm

Yay!! Thank you Son of the Wave Maidens. heheh ;) So what you're saying is, you've always been in the Navy? Coincedince? heheh :-D

Morgana, I don't know everything about Kali, but what I do know is she's very mother and crone all rolled into one, much like Ishtar/Innana of Babylon/Sumeria. Very 'I love you but I'm still gonna cut your head off' kinda women. o_O

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:42 pm

forgotten oceans wrote:Yay!! Thank you Son of the Wave Maidens. heheh ;) So what you're saying is, you've always been in the Navy? Coincedince?
Well, lets just say that when the family shaman picks your name, it is normally pretty spot on. ;)

Also Ragnar was what was known as a sea king. So...

I will root out what I have over the weekend, and see if I can add anything.

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:52 pm

forgotten oceans wrote: Very 'I love you but I'm still gonna cut your head off' kinda women. o_O
Heehee, pretty much, although Kali's a bit more of an "I love you, and that is why I am gonna cut your head off, it's for your own good" kind of woman. :-D

Will you write about Ran for us, Uncle Ragnar-Son-of-the-Wave-Maidens? Pwease? **big giant puppy eyes**