The God Who Wasn't There

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

The God Who Wasn't There

Post by Windwalker » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:20 am

I think I've heard of this movie vaguely, but this is the first time I've come across something concrete on it. (Has this subject come up before? Maybe I missed it. Sorry if that's the case.)

Check it out: http://www.thegodmovie.com/

Now, this is done by a previous fundamentalist, so theoretically it's fair play what he's doing to other fundamentalists. If a born and bred atheist did it, it would be more uncool. And he seems to have some interesting ideas.

But the website says that the movie proves god isn't there. Obviously we'd have to see it to be convinced (has anyone seen it?). But by "god" here, does he mean Jesus in particular, Jahweh, or deity in general? My belief in my deities kinda embraces all that science has thus shown and probably a great deal of what it will show in the future - I mean, how amazing is evolution? How fantastic is an atom?....and so forth....

This movie will make many people question their faith... but will it do so for only Fundamentalist Christians... or all Christians... or all religions? My stubbornly faithful side is being shoved to the side by the part of me that believes that wisdom and knowledge are extremely important things, and even if I do question my faith, I'll leave wiser, and that's important. Also... well, I've read a few quotes now, and it does seem very good, echoing many things I've thought to myself more than once.

Sorry, Jesus ;)
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Green
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Green » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:30 pm

Once I was a real christian zealot. [-o< My belief was big and strong and occupied much of my life and time. I spent hours studying scripture and going to church meetings and Praying numerous times a day. It gave me hope and security. I no longer follow any organized religion and i wouldn't even classify myself as limited to "Christian" anymore

I believe in spirit and I believe there is a greater power, being, force, I don't know....something.
Last edited by Green on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love Nature and so as a reminder to myself...

"You must become the change you wish to see."
Ghandi

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:58 pm

So..this is interesting because most of these people are already people who I know believe that Jesus either didn't exist or that he was a metaphor (The only author they are missing is Tom Harpur and Dan Brown). It is kind of that book case for Christ whenthey try to prove that Jesus did exist...but you already know at the beginning what they believe.

Anyway, as an person who studies religion, I see no point to these movies. Documentaries and books that work to prove or not prove that Jesus/God did/didn't exist really have no purpose. I think our time could be better spent on dialogue.

I also wonder if movies proving there was no Buddha, or that trees don't have souls, or there is no reincarnation will ever be made, I am always frustrated by the either totally ppro Christian agenda or the totally anti Christian agenda. Why can't we question useful stuff. Ugh, dichotomies tick me off *Grumbles about Hollywood*

Anyway thanks for pointing this out, I am sorry I am in a contrary mood today...again I have a rant to post about that. Looking for some good discussion here.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:50 pm

What Holds my faith together is this, I've been so low, probally as low as you Green and then I've seen the light,so to speak, I've had things happen to me with no explantation. Good things and bad, but you have to have the balance too much good or too much bad throws the balance off. I've gone through a terrible abusive marriage, but my marriage resulted in 2 beautiful children I wouldn't trade for the world. I went through single parenthood, and I even lived 5 miles out of town dead broke no car no phone no job, not enough money to put gas in the tank so I can have heat and a stove to cook and have warmth in the dead of winter, and then out of the blue, My brother calls and offers me a job (my grandpa who died when I was 5 visited me one night) and then I move to another state, I get a job and I buy a pc, well I got laid off from my job and spent alot of time on the internet, well then I meet this guy, he's so OUt there it's not even funny, But then we fall in love, and then we get married, then my ex files for custady of my children, My new husband goes to Iraq and I have to face it all alone, and all the sudden I develope a relationship with my mother who I've been enstraged with for quite a few years. SO I take the good with the bad. We all have our problems and our doubts of faith, but it's all a test too see if your worthy of something. I keep my faith because at times it was the only thing I ever had. I've felt literally felt the presance of the Goddess, not a god but a goddess, And in all honesty that one presance I've felt that one time, let me know everything will be OK, no matter what happens. IT's a balance Like I said before.

I hope things with you and your wife work out for the better. I think it will because of the love you have for each other to still be there.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:55 pm

OMG! It's the belf from LFG! Teeheehee, I love that webcomic! :-D

*cough*

I hope your marriage heals.

I think a very important aspect to my own faith is that the gods don't make sure good things happen to us. Sometimes, they make sure bad things happen to us. If I have a bad time of it, I take reassurence from my deities, but I don't expect them to save me.

You can't force faith. It will come when it comes. All the best.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:08 pm

A request to all

Can you please break your texts up into paragraph blocks. It is much easier to look at, and therefore much more likely to be read by others.

Thanks.

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:14 pm

But but Ragnar I just love it when I annoy you :lol: :lol: Sorry, I forget how to use my grammer most times, I almost didn't graduate because of it.
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 pm

I am in favour of punctuation. It reminds me when to breathe.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:27 pm

SageWolf wrote:But but Ragnar I just love it when I annoy you :lol: :lol:
I will go into a serious sulk. :-D

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:41 am

Aw... yet another useless documentary made by people trying to leech off of Michael Moore's success. There's a big fat line between controversial and stupid. Michael Moore knew how to walk that line but the posers don't.
Maybe not?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:59 am

Graver wrote:Aw... yet another useless documentary made by people trying to leech off of Michael Moore's success. There's a big fat line between controversial and stupid. Michael Moore knew how to walk that line but the posers don't.
Seen it have you? Or is this another example of how the christian leaps to conclussions when it feels threatened?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:52 am

Ragnar wrote:A request to all

Can you please break your texts up into paragraph blocks. It is much easier to look at, and therefore much more likely to be read by others.

Thanks.
Sure...will someone fix the spelling error on the main page? That hurts my eyes!

BTW? Is there an unserious sulk?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:51 pm

Ahhh...What spelling mistake?

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:07 pm

**cracks knuckles** Well, let's see here....

The thing under "magick and energy usage" uses "affect" when it should use "effect".

Possibly "Virii" could do without the third "i". (Interestingly, "viri" is also latin for men. Take from that what you will.)

Oh! Under alternative religions, it says "religeons". That one does actually hurt the eyes.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Well, I only noticed one and three!.....Dems da ones.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)