Getting Things Right: To Nitpick or Not To Nitpick...

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:32 pm

I am in agreement, Mists of Avalon is definitely one of my all-time favorite books. Has anyone seen the made-for-tv movie of it? Also very good, though they were forced to leave a LOT of stuff out. I think I'll go re-read that book now that I'm thinking about it...
"Love like you've never been hurt."

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:10 am

morgana wrote: Has anyone seen the made-for-tv movie of it?
You don't mean that silvery disc shaped object that I've just thrown in my computer now do you? :lol:
/|\

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:42 pm

I saw the movie first. Fell in love with it. THEN, I checking the extras, and went "OMG, It's a book, too!" :lol:

I'm still looking for a copy of it, but haven't found one yet. The book is 10 times better, but even making it a 4 hr tv movie (or however long it was) they had to cut out the "important" parts. :lol:

You really want to spend an afternoon ranting and raving... Catch it when they actually show it on TV and try to make it only two hours. You wouldn't even know they were the same story. :lol:

One of my biggest irks of the movie though was Morgana's aunt (Damn it, can't remember her name, and I'm at work so I can't check). Even in her worst moments in the book, she was nowhere near the double crossing, power-hungry, insane "kill 'em all, question them later" b***h that she was in the movie. Really, could they make her character any more different. :roll:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:16 pm

It's on dvd?? My mom was looking for the dvd for me for Xmas, but couldn't seem to find it, so unfortunately I only have it on VHS (here's where the young'ns say "What's VHS?" lol). :-D

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:32 pm

Yeah, that's what I rented it on. I'm considering checking on Ebay. I figure, they've gotta have it there. They have everything there. :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:42 pm

I did like that book. Man I haven't read a good fanatasy in a while.

I go through periods where I get bored of stuff that I loved and come back to it a few years later. I think I am in a bored with fanatasy phase. I am waiting until July 21st........Oh YEah, Harry Potter book 7!!!!

And for the next (and final?) Robert Jordon (Pray to whatever you like that he doesn't die).

Seriously though, I hear Terry Pratchette thrown around a lot...what is a good book from him/her to start with.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:02 pm

George R. Martin in the A Story of Fire & Ice is an awesome book series. There are only 4 books finished out of the 7 in the series. It's awesome.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:29 pm

For perhaps obvious reasons, I have moved this thread to book club.

Sorry to interupt. Please feel free to carry on. :-D

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:58 am

Oh, and for anybody looking, the Mists of Avalon DVD is selling on ebay for a little more than you might pay for lunch at McDonalds (approx. $8 Can, $6 US). Just search for Mists of Avalon DVD and it comes up with about 17 different sellers. :lol:

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:05 pm

Thanks Kitsune! :-D

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:15 pm

forgotten oceans wrote:Windwalker: D**n it! Now I feel the need to go read Watership Down again for the one thousandth time. I think my favorite part was about the story of El-ahrairah and the Black Rabbit of Inle. heheh
It always bugged me that they never finished that story. Have you read Tales from Watership Down? Good, but odd. And not nearly enough Bigwig for my taste.

Has anyone read the Witches of Eileanan series?

The book that always makes me cry, every time, without fail, is Phantom of the Opera. Erik's monologue to the Persian at the end, seriously....
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:59 pm

I liked Tales from Watership Down, but not as well as the first, I think I missed Blackberry more then I thought I would. :lol:

*gasp!* Phantom of the Opera!! I love that book/movie/old rock crap movie. The whole story just twists around me, seeps in and leaves me satisfied, like trashy love novels for house wives. Whenever I get an itch for romance, that's what I read.

*trudges off to spend a week in the closet reading everything over again*
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Talking of "Watership down" type stuff, have any of you read William Horewoods "Moles" series?

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:23 am

No, and now I must! (I spent much of my childhood searching for another book as good as Watership Down. Tailchaser's Song was pretty good, but didn't qualify.)
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:19 am

I think the official title is "the Duncton wood chronicles" or something similar.