Getting Things Right: To Nitpick or Not To Nitpick...

Love to read? Share your books, ideas, thoughts, etc.
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:16 am

I refuse to buy any book with les than 300 pages myself.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:08 am

I'll buy books shorter than 200 pages... they're called short stories, cause they may last me an hour, two if I'm lucky :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:40 am

:lol: I'm like that too! I buy books to take on holiday, but I end up reading them way before I go. People have to hide books from me :lol:
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:29 pm

My Wife is a bit like that.

If any of you know the Diana Gabaldon "Jamie" books? 1000 odd pages, and she can read one in a day! #-o

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:15 am

My husband only reads a book once, I read a book sevral times, especially if it was a good one, reason being, I might have missed something and I also forget sometimes what I read, so I read it again, and Lo and behold, I missed something :lol: :lol:
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:23 am

SageWolf wrote:My husband only reads a book once,
With novels, I am the same. The only exceptions being Dracula and LOTR.

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:42 am

Have you ever read the Clan of the Cave Bear series? For some reason I just love those books.

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:52 am

All except the latest.

Iwas the same with that bloody Potter character. If I need to read the whole series from scratch, just to remember what is going on, because it is so long between publications, then they can stick their books where the sun don't shine.

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:59 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've read the Potter series sevral times as well, and so has my son, he is now into the Eradragon series, my sis in law is as well, I'm gonna have to read em and see what the hub bub is all about.

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:57 am

OMG, I got so hooked on the Harry Potter series it's disgusting. At first I refused to read them or watch the movies just cuz I saw how crazy people were being about them, but then my mom's friend ended up loaning us the dvds, so I was forced to watch them. It turned out they were really good, so then I started reading the books. I got so wrapped up in them that I actually cried when Dumbledore died in the Halfblood Prince book! I don't usually get that emotional over a book, but I really liked Dumbledore and I wasn't expecting HIM to get killed off. Anyway, needless to say I am impatiently awaiting the final book in the series.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:02 am

Oh good I wasn't the only one who cried, notice how they are taking out all of Harry's peeps? I don't like the fact that he is dropping out of school tho. But I'll see what happens in the last book.
SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:08 am

Yeah that's pretty messed up. I always figured they'd at least leave Dumbledore alive for him! And really, his dropping out of school makes sense though cuz he does HAVE to fight Voldemort, and he's not gonna do that at school without risking a whole lot of kids' lives. So I can see where that comes from. I think you just don't like him dropping out of school cuz your mommy instincts are saying "You have to stay in school and finish your education!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:24 am

yeah good point, hypocritical aren't I? I dropped out of school at the age of 17, tho I did get my GED, so its about the same as grarduating eh??
But the thing is you honestly think Ron and Hermione are gonna let Harry go it alone, not to mention Neville and ermm Loony Luna will let him as well? Plus Ginny, And when are Ron and Hermione going to realize they are in love? I started reading Harry Potter cause my son asked for the book and I always screen things, so I read it first, I don't screen for him so much anymore, I figure he's 12 he knows, what he can and cannot read watch or write, so.... Not to mention the fact that he's soon to be a teenager :cry: I'm so not ready for that, he's asking for things I don't think he's old enough for but eh the trials of motherhood.

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:34 am

Yeah I got the impression from the Halfblood Prince book that Ron and Hermoine wouldn't let him go alone. As for Neville, Luna, and Ginny, I dunno. But I really hope that Ginny sticks with him since they seem to be made for eachother. And I'm thinking that Ron and Hermoine will finally get together in the final book. Hopefully one of them won't end up dead immediately afterward, I hate it when that happens.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:19 am

I'm a Harry Potter fan as well, although I started with (and still love the books) and I'm not so fond of the films. I hate it when my favourite books are made into films, the actors they pick are never the same as the way I picture the characters in my head and I despair of how kids prefer to watch TV instead of using their imaginations and reading books.

Ron and Hermione will definitely go with him to Godric's Hollow...but then who knows? Harry might come over all heroic and demand they turn back, like the way he dumped Ginny (I don't like Ginny, but poor girl, she finally gets the guy of her dreams and then he dumps her because of his 'higher calling'!)

I think JKR is being quite clever by bumping off all of Harry's supporters one by one. In this genre, the hero has his period of being the student and learning from the master, but then he has to stand alone for the final battle. It's sad, because he's barely 17, but in the Wizarding World he's now a man and old enough to go it alone.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men