Coming out of the broom closet

All things wiccan...

Are you out of the broom closet?

Yes
39
45%
No
11
13%
Kinda
36
42%
 
Total votes: 86

User avatar
SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by SageWolf » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:41 am

My family knows I am a pagan, It has been braught up when my ex husband sued me for custody of my kids, they were worried I would loose them for the simple fact I am pagan, I wasn't worried about it really, The funny thing, I will tell you this, I knew when I met my current husband I knew My Ex was going to sue for custody and I also knew I was going to win, And I will tell you this I did win, My ex withdrew his petetion for cstody.

The only one person I haven't told in my family is my grandmother, she is a Tight christian, and I really don't want to argue with her, She is the Matrarch of my family and I deeply respect her, but I also stick up for my beliefs so I decided that out of respect for her,that she won't know what and who I am, that also gets really hard when she yells at me that I need to go to church and that my kids need to find God, I just say yes grandma, On that note I allow my kids the Freedom of Religion, they get to choose what religion they want to be, I live in the middle of the Bible belt so they go to church alot, I layed down the law on that, They will not be allowed to get Babtised until they have studied every religion that is out there, the old and the new, It was an arguement from my family, but I've stood firm on that, I want my kids to make an educated choice, and I wish Half the time I was my own parent :lol: I at least allow them to choose.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

User avatar
serenarian
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:38 am
Contact:

Post by serenarian » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:22 am

Some people know about my Pagan beliefs, others don't. I suppose I am half in, half out of the broom closet. :)
"A loveless world is a dead world. And always there comes an hour when one is weary of prisons and all one craves for is a warm face. The warmth and wonder of a loving heart." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Windwalker » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:03 am

:lol: I don't think I even knew this thread was here! (Serves me right for not going through the archivey bits.) I don't go around telling people randomly, but most of my friends know. The majority of people I know are atheists or agnostics and don't really bring religion up. My family know, but after telling them originally I don't go into it and neither do they.

Although my father recently asked me to do a spell to help him win the american lottery. He didn't win... but a Wiccan did :lol: He stole my mojo!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

User avatar
Crazy Healer Lady
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3589
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Mission, BC
Zodiac: Libra
Contact:

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:48 am

That's pretty funny!!

My family just know that I'm... "weird." LOL. They know everything, because when I was young didn't even know that I was following Paganism, I was learning and trying to discover how the universe works, I was pretty open about it all. It's good, because if they're stuck for gifts at Xmas or something, they know they can never go wrong by buying a good book on it ^_____^ Even my sister, who is rarely allowed in my house for reasons I will not go into here, calls herself athiest and says she does not believe in anything "super"natural, will ask for a card reading.

The only difficult thing, really, was my partner's parents. HE was just fine.

I still get flustered if in a work situation someone asks me what I am, so now I just say that I am everything. If they want to go into details, they are more than welcome.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

User avatar
Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Windwalker » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:It's good, because if they're stuck for gifts at Xmas or something, they know they can never go wrong by buying a good book on it ^_____^
Or candles, or incense, or oils! We're so easy to buy for :lol:
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

User avatar
Crazy Healer Lady
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3589
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Mission, BC
Zodiac: Libra
Contact:

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:41 am

:lol: Yeah no kidding! In general I am easy to please.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

User avatar
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Posts: 2097
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Post by Kitsune » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:34 am

Yep... my family in Belize couldn't figure out what I liked, and they kept saying I was so hard to buy for. I finally told them to buy me rocks, crystals and shells. :lol: They were stunned... apparently they couldn't image a reason why I'd want such things! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

User avatar
Somber Sky
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:38 pm
Location: Trenton Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Coming out of the broom closet

Post by Somber Sky » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:57 pm

FyreGarnet wrote:Now, I think that we might have had this question here at one time, but I was wondering if any of you are out of the broom closet yet?



Anyway, the reason for asking is, you all know that my best friend knows that I'm wicca. But Sunday when I was working, we got on the subject of hidden things and how halloween is coming up. It was just two of us, and the girl I was talking to asked if I was a witch when I said she might be surprised what is hidden in my life. I just gave her a look like ya never know and she asked if I was wicca. She told me that one of the other workers is and I said yeah. It turns out that the other girl isn't wicca, but she checked into it a lot when she decided that christianity wasn't for her.



Then, last night my boss was talking about having had a bad car accident and her son giving her hematite to help her heal better. I started talking about the different qualities of different stones, and stuff. Then I told that I'm wicca and she said that her daughter was into it a while ago.



So, I'm out of the broom closet kinda. I haven't told many people. And my littlest sister is on the list, but thats it.



I wanted to know, also, what some of your stories are about coming out, if you have any.



FyreGarnet
I am Lucky to have parents that let me choose what I wanted to do with my life so I really was never in the Closet..

Top
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Coming out of the broom closet

Post by Top » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:06 pm

i voted kinda on this.

My wife and a few of my friends know about the path my life is leading me. I've told my mum about it too, she is a an open and understanding woman who just wants me to be me and i love her for that. My wifes family is a different story though, they are strict mormon and i'm pretty sure they'd attempt to have my kids taken away if they thought i was into "devil worship" :roll:
so i they will find out sooner or later... perhaps next time the mother in law mentions saving up for my sons "mission" :-D

User avatar
Moonchyld
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Coming out of the broom closet

Post by Moonchyld » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:04 pm

I'm glad you brought this subject up. I have been out of the "broom closet"(lol) for about a year and a half. I haven't been able to tell alot of people due to the fact that I live in the back-country south and 99.9% of the people I know are christian, they make us pray at public school, and most of the teachers already think I'm evil. So, yeah... Where I live, if anyone ever found out I would be royaly screwed. I make the best of it though, with every good thing in life there are the downsides. :3
You call me a witch like it's a bad thing. :3

User avatar
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Posts: 2097
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Re: Coming out of the broom closet

Post by Kitsune » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:24 am

That is a picture of Rukia isn't it!

Not that Bleach is my favourite anime (honestly, I don't even watch it), but I'd love it if we had another anime enthusiast on the board!

Head over to the New Member section so that I can welcome you properly! :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

User avatar
Crazy Healer Lady
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3589
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Mission, BC
Zodiac: Libra
Contact:

Re: Coming out of the broom closet

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:32 am

Moonchyld wrote: I make the best of it though, with every good thing in life there are the downsides. :3
That's the spirit :) I hope there comes a time in your area where you don't have to worry about who you tell.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

User avatar
Somber Sky
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:38 pm
Location: Trenton Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Coming out of the broom closet

Post by Somber Sky » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Moonchyld wrote:I'm glad you brought this subject up. I have been out of the "broom closet"(lol) for about a year and a half. I haven't been able to tell alot of people due to the fact that I live in the back-country south and 99.9% of the people I know are christian, they make us pray at public school, and most of the teachers already think I'm evil. So, yeah... Where I live, if anyone ever found out I would be royaly screwed. I make the best of it though, with every good thing in life there are the downsides. :3
Yes I know of people that are in the same spot as you. There are 2 young girls that I have been talking to in NY that are the Catholic religion and have not told any of there family Or close best friends for fear of slip up word of mouth. I have had to explain to them that once you choose this path you have to be ready to let go of the people who you thaught loved you because they will not want you to be happy and will try to change you to conform back to there way of thinking where every thing is safe and locked away and you can live your life like a robot for the rest of your days...I am thinking about calling her to see how shes been...

Its sad that nature is soo free and un ruleing un biased and no one can see that we too are part of that nature

User avatar
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am
Location: White Oak, PA
Zodiac: Cancer
Contact:

Re: Coming out of the broom closet

Post by Kystar » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:43 pm

I wouldn't say you have to be prepared to lose everyone, Somber Sky, just those who are too focused on the intolerance of some religions to place your personal happiness above their point of view.

For example, while my family (via adoption) were quick to lecture and judge, my close friends and their families were not. My best friend's mom is involved enough in her church to drive a church van on Sundays, but she recognizes my right to choose my own path. She is still as supportive of me in all things as she was before I took the first step towards becoming fully pagan. She doesn't understand or fully agree with my choice, but she recognizes that I have the right to make that choice and she doesn't have the right to try and change it...or me. She still considers me an adopted daughter (in the "look what followed me home, mom!" way).

I have a friend who for the longest time thought he would be most comfortable entering a seminary and becoming a priest. He knows I'm pagan, has known for many years. He says "if that's how God talks to you, then that's how God talks to you." I'm invited to his wedding...and the only reason we're not as close as we once were is that he is busy as am I. But we stay in touch.

Those who truly love you and want you to be happy will accept it. Or at least be respectful enough to keep their traps shut.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

User avatar
Moonchyld
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Coming out of the broom closet

Post by Moonchyld » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Kystar wrote:Those who truly love you and want you to be happy will accept it. Or at least be respectful enough to keep their traps shut.
Agreed, and lol
You call me a witch like it's a bad thing. :3

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests