What do we call ourselves for the rest of the world?

Discussions of all things pagan and neo-pagan.

If you had to answer, what would you say your religious beliefs were to a stranger?

Pagan
58%
I would give the name of my specific tradition, such as Wiccan or Druid
17%
Witch
4%
Eclectic Solitary Pagan/Witch
4%
Other
17%

Total votes: 24

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:34 pm

Sex in a canoe :tonqe: \:D/ :supz: Rock on.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:49 am

errr hmmmm. i don't think you got it sagewolf
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Wbdsgnr1

Post by Wbdsgnr1 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:38 pm

It depends upon whos asking and what I know about them, it would determine my answer.

But I go with everyone else, mostly Pagan.

blessed be

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:26 pm

Since my own personal style of paganism is about as eclectic as it can get, I just say I'm a spiritualist and leave it at that. If the person is of like mind, then I might go into details but for the most part, I leave it alone as it's not anybody else's business.

And daibanjo, I know a thing or two about football. Of course, if I call it that around here, everybody gets real confused when I talk about the world cup.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:08 am

I go with Witch. Some of my beliefs are compatible with Wicca, but I am a solitary and in my mind I am and always have been a Witch. It causes some problems when people ask me about my personal beliefs - I got cornered by a church group doing a street survey about beliefs (all sorts of local beliefs, not just Xtianity) and I have a policy of not lying when it comes to my beliefs (even if it would give me an easier life :-D ) so I told them straight up I am a Witch. I thought it would be correct to give my preferred title as it was a religious survey, however, needless to say, it did not go down well :-?

Nevertheless, I still call myself a Witch and I readily identify myself with that term. I will stretch to Pagan, however, if I don't want to totally alienate the person I am talking to :-D My immediate family deeply object to the term Witch, however, I always use it to describe myself when we discuss it because I feel that being my family they should just get used to it and get over it. With people outside my family and friends I am prepared to use the term Pagan as discussion opens and then use the term I use myself when discussion is underway. A lot of people find Pagan easier to conceptualise than Witch - at least a Witch of the non-pointy-hat wearing and warty-nose sporting variety!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by daibanjo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:14 am

Greetings Jessica. may I ask; Ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg?

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:49 am

Greetings happily returned, Daibanjo! Do, dwi'n siarad Cymraeg! Dwi'n hapus hapus iawn i siarad efo rhywyn sy'n siarad y iaith y gwrol rhyfelwyr hefyd!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:56 am

Hey, no fair... ;) :lol:

I don't mind you two conversing in different languages, but you have to at least let me in on what language you're speaking... :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:08 pm

Welsh? :-? Wish I could speak a language like that. I can only do French, and some Latin.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Yup tis Welsh :D Sorry Kitsune, here's a translation! :
Daibanjo said: Ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg?
Means "Do you speak Welsh?"
Jescissa said: Do, dwi'n siarad Cymraeg! Dwi'n hapus hapus iawn i siarad efo rhywyn sy'n siarad y iaith y gwrol rhyfelwyr hefyd!
Means "Yes I speak Welsh! I'm very happy happy to talk with someone who also speaks the language of the brave warriors!"

Ooh, being able to speak Latin is really cool, Windwalker! Did you teach yourself or did you learn it at school?

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by daibanjo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:40 pm

I noticed that Jessica is located in Wales so i asked her if she speaks Welsh. She replied that she does and is very happy to speak with someone who alsp speaks the heroic language.
We're not trying to hide anything but it is fun to speak the ancient tongue, especially for me. Living in LA i don't get the chance to use it much. So though my posts are in english I may throw in a little aside to Jessica every now and again. ;)
Ydych chi'n cytun?

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:49 pm

Dwi'n cytuno :-D

So, Daibanjo, (completely off topic now, lol), where did you learn Welsh living in LA? Were you born in Wales? Have Welsh family? I'm really interested :-D

Maybe we should start another thread? I wonder how many of us use a language other than English in our workings?

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by daibanjo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:36 pm

Just to answer, I'm Welsh, nothing but as far back as I know. I was born and raised in Llanelli and came to America 16 years ago. Welsh is my first language. I do notice you use the North Wales dialect. While mine is "Shir Gar" The Pagan community in America seem to enjoy hearing me pronounce the names from the old Welsh tales. Though I never insist and only give the correct pronunciation if i'm asked. As I keep telling the good folk here, what you say is far more important than how you say it.
Bendithia

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Jescissa wrote:Ooh, being able to speak Latin is really cool, Windwalker! Did you teach yourself or did you learn it at school?
I did two years of Latin at uni. It gives a whole new level of amusement to that graffiti scene in the Life of Brian. (They don't say anything funny in Latin, it's just nice to understand it all :lol: )

And, well, I don't speak it so much as read it. Speaking it would involve long periods of silence in which one constructs a sentence :lol: I could speak it, and they taught us the Roman pronunciation and everything, and I rather enjoy speaking it aloud, I'd just have some issues carrying out a conversation! They only gave us reading and parsing tests at uni, no speaking or writing tests... one of the advantages of taking a dead language.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:46 pm

I don't mind not being partial to the meanings of your conversations :lol: ... I just minded not knowing what language it was.

I'm trying to learn japanese, but it's so hard that I'm not doing very well... :oops:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews