All U.K, commonwealth, and Euro Pagans please read.

Now here's something to get steamed up about.
Ragnar

All U.K, commonwealth, and Euro Pagans please read.

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:32 am

http://www.wcer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101

The above link is to a post on another board some where. Maurer is known to me and can be trusted.

The article is to long to put here, so...

Basically, British courts have reccognised "Nores Heathenism", "Asatru", and by implication ALL Pagans, as an officialy reccognised religion for purposes of descrimination.

The reason I also include Commonwealth and Europe in the title is that under our laws, ie those of the listed places, British law can be quoted as "case law" in all these areas.

PLEASE keep this info safe. It may save your job, your home, or stop your kids having school problems at some point.

Here are the relevant pieces to show solicitors, lawyers, teachers, whatever;

“The first issue for the Tribunal is whether Odinism satisifies the definition of a religion or belief in regulation 2(1). Mr Davies contends that it does. Mr Peacock [barrister representing the Royal Mail] neither admits nor disputes it.” “The Tribunal finds that Odinism is a religion or belief within regulation 2(1). The Tribunal has considered the literature about Odinism in the Bundle of Documents (which appears to be principally a hard copy of material from the website of the Odinist Fellowship) and also the evidence given by Mr Harrison, the Director of the Odinist Fellowship. The Tribunal finds Odinism to be a belief systm based on the pre-Christian heathen religion of the British Isles. It is polytheistic and honours the Odinic pantheon of deities with particular regard being paid to the deity of Odin or Woden. It has a concept of the secular and the spiritual worlds and the relationship between them. It has a broad code of ethics based on what are called the Nine Noble Virtues. It has rituals and ceremonies including the Cup of Remembrance, Naming, Pledge of Faith, Wedding and Laying to Rest. It does not have any sacred texts as such but it pays special heed to works known as the Prose Edda and the Poetic Edda which it regards as sources of information about the heathen religion. The Tribunal is not required to make any value judgment or assessment of Odinism as a belief system but to decide whether it satisfies the relatively exiguous definition in regulation 2(1) and the Tribunal is satisfied that it does.”

Remember the case of Royal Mail Group PLC v Holden (2006). For all pagans of every kind, this has established a precedent ensuring your rights in law. Odinism is now, quite categorically and specifically, covered and protected by anti-discrimination legislation, in the same way that has been taken for granted by other religions.

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:23 pm

Yes! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

This could do wonders for the Germanic Countries.
We (for now) don't have much problems with it.
/|\

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:19 pm

I have not noticed much problem in Germany either. But then I have not got kids at scool. The one I may come accross, is a pain in the ass boss trying to tell me I can't work until I get hair and beard cut. Well NOW they can..."go away". :roll:

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:44 pm

=D>

It's a grand step, my friend!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:22 am

This is really good news, although I can't believe how much stress Mr Holden was under and all because of some twisted sense of 'political correctness'. Goodness me! I'm happy that he and his family have some recompense for that undeserved slight.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Seawitch
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Aries

Re: All U.K, commonwealth, and Euro Pagans please read.

Post by Seawitch » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:04 am

The link in the first post is returning a critical error for me :-( but never mind, the world turns still... :P
This reminds me a little of a Court case I gave evidence in a few years agao.
Two unusual things about it for me as I said before many at a central London Witches Moot.
One.....it wasn't me that was in trouble for a change, and two, I was giving my religion as Wicca for the first time at swearing in.
A woman (always seems to be a woman btw!) brings over the sheath of papers, asks you your religion, and offers you a sheet to read from as you swear in.
This happened as usual, but after I told her my Religion was Wicca she frantically fumbled through the options and told me...'er...we don't seem to have anything for you...'
I looked across at the Magistrate and she was staring at me over her glasses, you could almost read her mind...'we got a funny one coming...'
Well...all dressed up in a jacket and tie I probably didn't look like what most people would expect a Witch to look like....nonetheless, swearing in had to be done to press on, I accepted an Athiest style script to read from, a solomn oath thingy so we could get a move on.
But this situation has changed, a Pagan oath is available now flyaway: ....about time too!

Ragnar

Re: All U.K, commonwealth, and Euro Pagans please read.

Post by Ragnar » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:21 am

Seawitch wrote: But this situation has changed, a Pagan oath is available now flyaway: ....about time too!
But that is useless for Heathens. Particularly Germanic Heathens.
The really DO keep getting their knickers in a twist.

But can you give more details about the "pagan" oath please? 8-)