Wicca vs. Pagan

All things wiccan...
xAutumn_Leafx
Level 2
Level 2

Wicca vs. Pagan

Post by xAutumn_Leafx » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:25 pm

So... what exactly is the diference? I've talked to people who are Wiccan and people who are NOT Wiccan, but Pagan and they both do the same things, worship the same way, have the same holidays and everything. The Pagan I talked to said she was coven taught... isn't that Wiccan? So what's the difference? I know there are specifics under the umbrella term of Pagan, like Druid and Shamanism, but what about being Pagan under the Pagan umbrella term?
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration." ~ Claude Monet

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." ~Carl Jung

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Some people just don't have a specific name to identify themselves, like Wiccan or Druid. Though many of the beliefs and actions are very similar, the person may not feel connected to that named path. Since they are not of the monotheist religions, they simply call themselves pagan.

I, myself, started looking into wicca, but eventually I found it wasn't for me. I'm not a shaman or druid, and so I consider myself pagan. Though because I started with wicca, many beliefs and such are the same. There are just a few minor changes.

I hope that helps a little.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:08 pm

Wiccans usually follow the 3 Fold Law, which basically means anything you do, good OR bad, will come back to you 3 times over. Also, they follow the Wiccan Rede, which says "An it harm none, do what ye will." Pagans might or might not have similar rules of their own, but they aren't necessarily the same. Someone also said on here a long time ago a very good observation... "All Wiccans are pagan, but not all Pagans are Wiccan." That basically means that by the Christian definition, Wicca, along with any other religion that ISN'T Christian, Islam or Judaism, falls under the heading of a pagan religion. There are a vast amount of religions and belief systems that fall under this definition:Wicca, Hinduism, Buddism, Taoism, Satanism, and I believe even Atheism would be classified under that definition. At any rate, I know it still seems a bit fuzzy the difference between the 2, but that's because there isn't really a difference so much as Wicca is a TYPE of paganism, much as Presbyterian, Southern Baptist, and Catholic are TYPES of Christianity. I hope I made it at least a little clearer for you, rather than just confusing you more, lol. :lol:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:37 pm

Yep. As was said: Wicca is a type of Paganism, like Baptist is a type of Christianity.

I do not worship the way Wiccans do. All nature-based religions will have similarities such as the Sabbats which honour cycles and rhythms, and creation of Sacred Space, which, to be honest, is present in many different faiths, Pagan or no.

Wicca also has that year and a day rule.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:33 pm

Well, Our main difference (Norse/Germanic Heathen), do not "worsip", we honour the god´s/esses. There is a big difference.

We bow down to no man or no God/ess. But give them thier due respect. Much as one may with a favourite Grand Father, or Grand Mother.

As Frank Zappa said "There is a difference between Kneeling down and bending over". 8-)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:17 am

I know that this will be a very unpopular assertion but a very wise diplomat once said something that applies here...

"A difference that makes no difference, is not a difference."

There are differences, but when you come down to it, you'll find so many similarities that the "differences" just seem more a slight matter of perspective. And yes, on the surface, they're all very similar. The thing that makes it fun is noting the differences, and finding the one that fits you perfectly.

As we all know with clothes, a shirt is a shirt, but if it doesn't fit you well, you'll never touch it and come to hate it.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:21 am

:-D Looks like everything has been covered here on this topic. =D>

Just thought I'd be silly! :lol:
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:07 am

WOW!!! I have only just woken up. Can you please put a "Sunglasses warning" on that? 8-) :-D :-D

It looks good though. =D>

xAutumn_Leafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xAutumn_Leafx » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:31 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice! I got no specific answers, per se, but it is a lot clearer than it was. I never even thought about it being like Christianity with all the denominations under that term. A rather "duh" moment on my part, to say the least.

And I just have to add, I love this group! No matter how many stupid or basic questions I post, I always get lots of intelligent and patient answers and/or opinions to help me on my way. I love you guys! *sniff*
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration." ~ Claude Monet

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." ~Carl Jung

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:40 pm

There are no stupid questions!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:48 pm

xAutumn_Leafx wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice! I got no specific answers, per se, but it is a lot clearer than it was. I never even thought about it being like Christianity with all the denominations under that term. A rather "duh" moment on my part, to say the least.

And I just have to add, I love this group! No matter how many stupid or basic questions I post, I always get lots of intelligent and patient answers and/or opinions to help me on my way. I love you guys! *sniff*
\:D/ YAY! \:D/

:lol: Hey mikie... she likes it! :-D

Ummm... you are a girl, yes?
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:56 pm

Here's more specific for ya...
A Pagan religion is ANY religion not Xtianity, Judeaism, or Muslim.
Wicca is one of those many pagan religions.

Therefore a pagan person follows SOME religion besides those above, a wiccan follows the pagan religion of Wicca.
"Obedezco pero no complo"

xAutumn_Leafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xAutumn_Leafx » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:34 pm

Ummm... you are a girl, yes?
Hee hee. Yes, I am a girl.... for the most part. :smt061

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:19 am

I guess I am not good at defining, I have a respect for nature and believe in energy.

I am not sure about Gods, but Istill consider myself pagan...I guess I like it better than being a nothing. :)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:45 pm

I consider myself Pagan and mostly agree with the definitions everyone else gave.
My difference is that I am a reconstructionalist meaning that I am interested in learning about how a certain pantheon or culture had a relationship with their goddesses/gods. Like Ragnar, I do not worship the godforms. I seek to have a relationship with them and learn from their archectypes. My "religion" is called Kemetic Orthodoxy.....which, is Egyptian recon.

(note: I suck at spelling today)

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.