Wiccan sites forbidding spells

All things wiccan...
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm

I say leave the fluff on the sites for the fluffy bunnies, slap some disclaimers on 'em and leave them there. After all, when they get past the fluffy bunny stage, they'll start realizing how to make spells themselves, or they will have found a teacher because they're ready. Nowadays, I sort of consider those spells to be the "Diet Coke" of the witching world, "Only 1 Calorie, Not nearly enough!"... However, they will be enough to wet their whistle and hopefully make them think.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:31 am

nice analogy, kitsune. what i say is, at the end of the spell, politely explain how it is used and how it is not to be used and what the potential consequences will be.

but then, that's just a nice disclaimer, isn't it?

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:26 am

Artemisblessed wrote:nice analogy, kitsune. what i say is, at the end of the spell, politely explain how it is used and how it is not to be used and what the potential consequences will be.

but then, that's just a nice disclaimer, isn't it?

well the way its put now leaves for a lot of room to terrify people

you could go into possible mishaps as part of the disclaimer. love spells making peopel hate you. beauty making u guly, money spells making it only worse. that type of stuff that might actaully get peopel to think....if only for about 3 seconds before they do it anyway....but hey then its not the websites fault if they had a good disclaimer ;)
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:48 am

that type of stuff that might actaully get peopel to think....if only for about 3 seconds before they do it anyway....but hey then its not the websites fault if they had a good disclaimer
It wouldn't be their fault, no, but it's their responsibility to make sure that fluffballs don't get spells like this and screw up parts of their lives. Dealing with powerful things, powerful deities (many of which sound pretty darn bi-polar) and giving a fluffball the spells to invoke them is the same as giving a thirteen year-old boy the Anarchist's Cookbook and expecting him to actually pay attention to the disclaimer, to go back to my comparison to explosives. It's the gov't's responsibility to make sure kids don't get a hold of it, and it's the hosters of a websites' responsibility that they don't get a hold of something which, to me, is its equivalent in "magic."
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:17 am

good point
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:05 am

I didn't even know this is an issue.

I guess the website has a right to do what makes them feel safe.

I dunno :scratch:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Grumpy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grumpy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:03 am

Oh. I see. But what's the point when you can go into any book store these days and find 20 or 30 spell books? It just seems limiting to those who need it and pointless in terms of protecting anyone. Of course, it's true, each website can do as it pleases. It just strikes me as kind of arrogant, actually. I really can't explain why, though, it just does.

But then I don't think that words alone have any power.
"Obedezco pero no complo"

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:00 am

you know, i just had a thought. maybe, if the anti-spell website (not an insult, just used for i.d.) had a link to a page that had a link to a page that has that spell on it, then it would take longer to find the spell. that way, only the truly eager would have the attention span to go and get it. which would also eliminate "fluffball" users getting into that stuff. heaven knows we'll give up after the second or third page.

oh, and CHL? (this is probably gonna sound harsher than i meant it) you seem to have such little confidance in us younger magick-users. why? bad childhood experience?

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:16 am

oh, and CHL? (this is probably gonna sound harsher than i meant it) you seem to have such little confidance in us younger magick-users. why? bad childhood experience?
It's not that I don't have confidence in those just starting out. I don't have confidence in those that are in it for superficial or social reasons. I was just starting out once, but my intentions were responsible and honourable. A lot of people see magic as something that they can use for their own ends, and once the love spell is over, well, cool what else can we mess with? :roll:

Nothing to do with bad childhood experiences ;) Watched a lot of kids come and go from the witchy stage, and only a few of them had any sort of respect for the stuff they were dealing with.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:56 pm

oh, i get it. one too many little witchies watching "The Craft"? ;) i was once one of those, but then i figured that there must have been something behind all of it, so i researched. truth be told, i first heard of Wicca from "Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost". :oops: i guess we all gotta hear about it somewhere. 8-)

then, i was watching PokeMon (yeah, i was one of those losers, too) and saw the gym leader Sabrina had telekinesis and i thought it would be so cool to do that. Then came "Charmed" then came "The Craft" and i was hooked. but naturally, i thought it was just one of those things you wish for, but never existed to begin with so i thought there was no chance for me.

but then i actually did some studying and it turns out that not only can people do it, but they have for the entirety of human history!

sorry, it's so long. i get passionate about these things... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:30 pm

Now I do not like the idea of giving spells out because the focus of the "craft" or whatever you want to call it should not be spells.
I was a "witch" for at least two years before I had even made an attempt at spell craft. Now, I sure have made mistakes in my day and did not choose wisely but have learned my lesson. My mistakes have made me a better magician although the price was high at times.
Be careful when calling on any god-form...get to know them first [-X
I took a note from Donald Michael Kraig and now do a tarot spread before each and every ritual/spell that I do.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:14 am

I can't remember my first introduction to Paganism. I was raised with Pagan undertones, though it was Catholic. Hmmm. Maybe there is something to Catholicism being a Pagan religion ;) :lol:

That, and ESP abilities that warped by view on the world and brought me to Paganism for an explanation.
Crazy Healer Lady

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:21 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:I can't remember my first introduction to Paganism. I was raised with Pagan undertones, though it was Catholic. Hmmm. Maybe there is something to Catholicism being a Pagan religion ;) :lol:

That, and ESP abilities that warped by view on the world and brought me to Paganism for an explanation.
OMG, this is so true for me as well. I was raised Catholic and there were plenty of Pagan undertones....even within the traditions of my own family.
I was introduced to dream interpretation at a very young age and was taught how to do my own rituals but we called them ceremonies. When my mom was ill she could not go to church and we'd perform mass in our own home.

Bb
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Myrr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Myrr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:48 pm

- what if we put on a disclaimer? -

Tell that one to the Laws of Karma...

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:25 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:I can't remember my first introduction to Paganism. I was raised with Pagan undertones, though it was Catholic. Hmmm. Maybe there is something to Catholicism being a Pagan religion......
It's not so much that Catholicism is a pagan religion:

It is rather that in Catholicism and Orthodoxism (and certain branches of Anglicanism) Mysticism is actually encouraged, and forms an integral part of the religious experience.
Whereas in Protestantism Mysticism is expressly (or implicitly) forbidden.

Any other religion I know of involves some form of Mysticism. Which leads to the question: Is (hard-core) Protestantism still a religion, or is it an ideology?

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'