question about the christian god

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

question about the christian god

Post by Kelreth » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:51 am

Im just wondering, cause I seem to be at another set of cross roads. I recognize the gods of old and their power over now. I am confused as to the gods of now though. I see nothing wrong with recognizing the judao-christian god. The diety it selfs isnt bad as far as I can see. Mortals are the ones who corrupted the energy that it is. Just wondering if any one else has feelings like these or any insight full comments
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:49 pm

Is till respect the Christian God, I just have had to look at other aspects, for example, seeing the feminine side (read Juliana of Norwich) and understanding God's connection to nature.

I consider myself a Christian Pagan (don't worry there is no need for you to go that far), also look at the essential teachings of Jesus. Ignore the epistles and look at what Jesus said, he did have quite a bit of fire and brimstone but in context it is a little easier to handle. If you were in Canada I would suggest going to a united church service just once to get a different view on things, there is one church here in Kingston where the priest is a Lesbian eco-feminist with an earth altar at the front of the church.

I say you worship whatever god you feel, in the way you feel best. And feel free to PM me if you want more info about this.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Re: question about the christian god

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:17 pm

Kelreth wrote: I recognize the gods of old and their power over now. I am confused as to the gods of now though.
They are the same Gods. Nothing has changed.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:13 pm

Yeah, I agree with Ragnar. I stick to "All Gods are one God, and All Goddesses are One Goddess" (well, aspects of, at any rate.)
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:41 am

"Paganlight
I stick to "All Gods are one God, and All Goddesses are One Goddess" (well, aspects of, at any rate.)"

No, there are very specifically different Gods, and Godesses. They some times, though, have similar aspects.

Egyptian Gods have no relevence at all to a tundra birch forest God. Like wise a central Australian desert God would be totaly lost on the North coast of Canada.

The only thing that MAY be the same is the end purpose, which is protection of themselves and the environment. There the similarity's end.

To say all Gods are one is merely an attempt to appease the christians.

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:19 am

ouch...no need to be so nasty, Ragnar. i think all Paganlight was saying was that a god or goddess is only what you want him or her to be, at whatever time you want him or her to be it.

for instance, i completely made up my patron goddess, Alana, but if you knew her, she is as motherly as Demeter, or Frigga as you would know her, but if i needed her to be, she would be as warlike as Athena, or Thor.

Understand?
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:40 am

Thanks Artemis, that is what I was saying.

Ragnar - the saying 'all Gods are one God...'etc is only at a VERY basic level. I know and understand where you're coming from, but like I said, it's just a simple way of wording a rather complicated subject. I know what I believe,but I find it difficult to explain to others, and so I find that simple phrase helps get across some of the basics. I'm still not explaining myself very well.....

I mean, I follow Brigit - the Goddess of the Hearth, but she is also the Goddess of Fertility, the Goddess of the Poets, the Goddess of Smithcraft and the Goddess of Warriors. I might call on her at one point for help with creativity when I'm stuck with my poems as Goddess of the Poets, just as others might call on Apollo in his guise as God of the Poets. At other times I might call on her to give me strength and courage in her guise as the Goddess of Warriors.
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:27 am

i'm not so sure that it is possible to speak of a "judao-christian god".

The God of the Jews and the God(s) of the Christians are very different from each other. (Although it is obvious that many of the foundations of the Christian God are to be found in the Jewish God)

Quite apart from that, there is a problem with the Christian God(s) in that no other Gods are tolerated.

I regard any God as a manifestation of a particular aspect of the Divine. And therefore, to my way of thinking, any claim to there being no other Gods (such as the Christian God(s) make) does not sit particularly well with me.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:39 am

i agree. except that in the case of the judeo-christian god(s), as you say, to my understanding is pretty much all you could ever want in a god, parently, friendly, protective, loving, inspiring, etc. so maybe to the christians (i'm not really sure, i'm just speculating) they find no need for other gods, so they only say that to eliminate temptation.

temptation of what? i'm not sure...
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:57 am

There are different perceptions of Paganism. The approach where each aspect/Deity is all part of one whole Deity/universe is a very Kaballist approach to divinity. We have our own perceptions to Paganism. People who feel this way and are Pagan may not exactly be coping out to the Christians. Also, I've noticed that people do hold on to the religion they were raised because of acceptability.
I am not certain one way or the other however, I am aware that Ma,at is different from Themis.

The Christian God certainly exists. My opinion of him is yet unformed.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:25 am

I agree with all three of those posts. To be totally honest, I'm still working out what I believe in this respect - it's a complicated subject, but the idea of there only being one God, is to me (even having been raised a Christian) is the same as Rain Forestmoon.

WolfieWitch
Level 1
Level 1

god and goddess?

Post by WolfieWitch » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:41 pm

well, when i was little i actually came up with my own theory about the gods and goddesses. i thought it was only one god and one goddess, but they would appear in different forms/personalities around the world cuz they don't stay the same all the time, and then ppl thot they were all different and decided they believed in different gods and goddesses then went aroudn converting each other. which is why i took to Wicca cuz the concept of the God and Goddess is the same as the one i thot i invented when i was around 5 or 6. :lol:
Smile, it will be worse tomorrow

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:41 pm

Artemisblessed wrote:ouch...no need to be so nasty, Ragnar.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :-? :-? :-?

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:09 am

*huggles*

I think Artemis thought you were shooting me down a bit, Ragnar, that's all. :-D

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:37 am

Not at all. #-o

My comments were aimed "in general" rather than at any one in particular.

Sorry if it was taken that way. :oops: