Pentagram a Catholic symbol?!

All things wiccan...
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:25 am

That is pretty interesting, I don't think there is a single religious symbol that cannot be traced across several cultures and several periods in history. For example, the swastika has some catholic roots but is also a primary symbol in Jainism in India as a symbol of eternity for their beliefs in reincarnation.

Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:11 am

Swastika is also a japanese symbol for peace i beleive
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:00 pm

completely possible, I think its geometric roots make it something that could have easily appeared in any culture with mathematics.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:55 pm

lol there was an incident here.

Some imported Pokemon cards from japan had the swastika on them. And people freaked out with out thinking over other possible meaning.

I got a kick out of the whole thing
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:59 pm

Rofl .... bout all there is to say bout that one Kelreth! :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:26 pm

That really sucks.

Once I found out the swastika and its reverse counterparts' meanings in Paganism I was a little more furious with the Nazis for stealing it and absolutely destroying it. There was a reason Hitler chose the symbol: to aid the Nazi party, and no one realizes that. You draw a swastika in the air or in the sand and you're a Nazi to the public. :evil:

There's my rant.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:10 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:That really sucks.

Once I found out the swastika and its reverse counterparts' meanings in Paganism I was a little more furious with the Nazis for stealing it and absolutely destroying it. There was a reason Hitler chose the symbol: to aid the Nazi party, and no one realizes that. You draw a swastika in the air or in the sand and you're a Nazi to the public. :evil:

There's my rant.

Only to the masses. Who care little for fact and only what is "right." Screw them, they will never learn.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:56 am

The swastika was a symbol for the sun in the Celtic/Germanic pagan times...sometimes drawn with a circle around the crossed part of the lines.

Of course, I could be remembering what I read incorrectly.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Galaxy Girl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Galaxy Girl » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:33 pm

The cross goes way back to Lemuria, and probably even before. It is the 4 L's, Love, Light, Life, and Law. Some of the L's are upside down but that doesn't matter. The ankh is the 4 L's with the one turned around into a circle (the Law of One). The fact that Christ was crucified on it is very symbolic.
Grace and kindness create powerful ripples in the world.

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:55 am

Except it was used as a torture device for centuries...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:05 pm

I think so, it never amazes me the way humans dream things up to hurt each other. Talk about misusing resources.
Blessings
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:31 pm

speaking of, i think i may be a bigger nerd than kelreth. did you know that there are only two creatures walking the planet that can actually plan out ways of killing each other? humans and dolphins.

eerie, isn't it?
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:36 pm

uhhh doplhins dont walk..... but they are as smart as humans or smarter by my opinion at least.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:09 pm

uhhh doplhins dont walk.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

People like you I both want to hit and hug. Luckily you are protected from each by the mighty computer screen.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:19 am

Humans, ants, and termites are the only critters that have wars. Hahah, we're as smart as bugs! :lol:
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me