Pentagram a Catholic symbol?!

All things wiccan...
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Pentagram a Catholic symbol?!

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 pm

The Pentagram is generally viewed as a Wiccan symbol; hence I put it here. It's a good argument for people (kids especially and teens) who wear the pentagram but don't want to get a bunch of barking from Xians or parents or the schools.
The Pentagram, originally a Catholic symbol, is representative of the Five Wounds of Christ and therefore is Christ crucified, whereas the Cross is the gallows, that "infamous gibbet" in the words of St. Alphonsus, upon which Christ was hung. The lettering in the background is John 1:1-4 in the original Greek, and the Latin inscription reads "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews, Who liveth and reigneth forever." The Hebrew lettering on the Cross represents the name of the Father as revealed in Exodus 6:3 (Adonai), and around the Pentagram is the Renaissance spelling of Jesus --- Y'shuah. This is combined with the popular "esoteric" interpretation of the elements, and thus it is lex orandi, lex credendi represented in art, illustrating the versicle "V. We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee. R. Because by Thy holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world," and also showing the dominance of the Divine over nature. This should stand for much meditation on the part of those interested in learning more."

-The Reverend Augustinus Thaumatourgos
Taken from http://www.rueskitchen.com/index.php/we ... pentagram/

Jeez maybe those Fundies have a point about Catholicism being Paganism ;) Just kidding, of course.

Oh hey also if you get time check out the whole http://www.rueskitchen.com/ site. It's interesting. Was fun to read it for about an hour.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:02 am

What we do know with all certainty is that was the main ideogram in the logotype or official seal of the city of Jerusalem during the period 300-150 B.C.
The pentagram has been called the seal of Solomon or Solomon's shield in medieval Jewish mysticism.
www.symbols.com

(i got some major trouble with a group of fundies after quoting this 8-) )
/|\

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:38 am

*rubs hands laughing: "MWA HA HA HA!"*

I'll bet :snakeman:
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:47 pm

try pointing out to a group of fundies that the cross is a roman torture device. None of them see the connection. And i get dissapointed in humanity once again. :smt100
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:39 pm

try pointing out to a group of fundies that the cross is a roman torture device. None of them see the connection.
Ah yes gotta love their coincidental confusion when it comes to these things...
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:29 pm

I never had a problem with that part, what I think is more interesting is that Christians use an Italian cross and not a Roman cross that Jesus was actually hung on.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:36 am

Willow wrote:I never had a problem with that part, what I think is more interesting is that Christians use an Italian cross and not a Roman cross that Jesus was actually hung on.
Blessings
What's the difference between a Roman Cross and an Italian Cross?
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:59 am

Italian is a cross like what they use

Roman is a T

Roman is much more useful for a torture device, no head support
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:38 pm

:laughing3:

I couldn't find a nerdy smiley to make fun of Gareth for knowing that, I thought I was the nerd.
But it is just one of those things that seems to interest me, as I have heard major fights over the validity of religious symbols if they are re historically inaccurate. Although I don't really think it makes a difference. It is intersting how passionate booth sides get.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:40 pm

gareth=kelreth, I hit the wrong button on the spelling cow Sorry about that
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:35 pm

Kelreth wrote:Italian is a cross like what they use

Roman is a T

Roman is much more useful for a torture device, no head support
I did suspect that was the answer, but there is a further question.

The Romans sort of morphed into Italians over time, and in a roundabout way.. However the fall of the Western Roman Empire did not mark the start of either Italy or Italians. (Italy, as a nation is a very recent invention, by the way; mid-to-late 19th century I think.)

So does anyone know: When did the Italians invent their cross, and what did they use it for?

Blessings
RainForestMoon

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:54 pm

Willow you have no idea how big of a nerd i am. I absorb knowledge like a never ending spounge.

I have absolutly no idea about Italian crosses though. I didnt know they used them for torture

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:50 pm

I will have to think about it, from what I understand it was pot Constantine, but could be wrong.

I think this will help for now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross

I love wikepedia, anyway I will think about it and try to remember to get back too you. No promises though, my brain has gone on vacation.

Blessings
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:14 am

Willow wrote: .......I think this will help for now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross......
I generally find wikipedia to be too general for my own liking. However, your link yielded this little gem:

"Since the 1930s Jehovah's Witnesses have taught that Christ died suspended not on a cross, but on a torture stake. The New Testament word for cross is stauros, which can refer either to a cross or to a single upright position stake without a crossbeam; Jehovah's Witnesses accept the latter meaning to be the only one at the time of the crucifixion, the former one being assumed by the word at later times. They hold the use of the cross in worship to be a pagan activity."

So it seems that the cross itself is a pagan symbol.......

Blessings
RainForestMoon

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:32 am

Rain ForestMoon wrote:So it seems that the cross itself is a pagan symbol.......
Interesting! Very very interesting ... :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~