Check This Out - Bible Prophecy

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
a Silly Ol' Fundy
Level 1
Level 1

Check This Out - Bible Prophecy

Post by a Silly Ol' Fundy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:19 pm

I wanna know what you guys think about this, so I'm just gonna throw it out there...

I've often wondered if the EU heads twice picked the number 666 on purpose. I don't think they did. I think they just goofed up. In fact, I suspect they are now wishing they had paid more attention to their numbers. Especially after their beloved Constitution of Rome was rejected by the French and Dutch voters. More on that later.

Edited down to readable size by Davisherm. For the full book, check out THIS WEBSITE where this monster sized post seems to have originated from.

For more fun reading, you might want to check out http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=plagiarism as it's rather illuminating on this post.

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:52 pm

*yawn*

I'll pass, thanks.

This is one of the only posts I've read here that makes me think I'm not quite that paranoid after all.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:14 pm

Wow.

Err, I don't know what to say except that remember that people have been counting up the numbers in the bible and proclaiming the rapture for a long long time. We all feel the dread of what is coming, be it war or rapture or just a natural disaster in our own town.

I'm impressed on my end of the earth by your research, although at this time I've not the motivation to check your information, and have to say, "I'll trust you on that" and move on.

I don't think many here believe in the rapture, sorry to say, at least not how the bible tells it.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:16 pm

Ok, I'm going to say one thing before I go on - I know nothing of the politics you are talking about, and only a little of the Prophesies you are talking about.

I have a little understanding of the End of Days, and I have never heard of the seventieth week of Daniel. Could you please clarify these prophesies for me (the shortened version would be awesome, cause my eyes cant concentrate on that much text in one go - I have extremely bad eyesight).

So, yeah. Before I go any further with what I think, clarification would be awesome :-D I am a lover of philosophy, and prophecies are a past time when they show their little faces. I look forward to seeing your reply.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:45 pm

I don't wish to be disrespectful but:

The bible is inaccurate and useless in describing what happend in the past - what would make anyone think it would be any more useful in predicting the future?

Bible-babble is sooooo boring......
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

a Silly Ol' Fundy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by a Silly Ol' Fundy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:21 pm

[ The bible is inaccurate and useless in describing what hap pend in the past - what would make anyone think it would be any more useful in predicting the future? ]

Are these just opinions or do you have facts that could maybe help me see where I've been mislead.[/quote]

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:09 pm

a Silly Ol' Fundy wrote:[ The bible is inaccurate and useless in describing what hap pend in the past - what would make anyone think it would be any more useful in predicting the future? ]

Are these just opinions or do you have facts that could maybe help me see where I've been mislead.
[/quote]

I don't know what prticular brand of christianity you subscribe to, so I don't know what particular interpretations of the bible you believe in.

I have to say that i have no great interest in discussing the bible (nor the koran, mein kampf or whatever), but in answer to your question I will say this:

Literal reading of Genesis (creation, Flood, etc) is manifest nonsense, there is ample scientific proof that things were quite different to that.

Moving on, from Exodus where things did not happen in the way described (The Egyptians, who were compulsive record-keepers have no record of either the 7 fat/7 lean years, nor the plagues the the bible talks about.)

Right down to the supposed census during Jesus'birth. There is no record in the Roman Empire that this happend. And do you really think IF there was a census the Romans would give a rat's posterior about where someone's ancestors had come from?

I hope this answers your question about opinion/fact. If you are interested in this sort of thing there is a lot of research you can do. But it might be an idea to stay away from "christian" sites, because you are most unlikely to get an unbiased view of history vs. bible.

But, as I say, discussing the bible is not something I am interested in, these answers were just provided as an act of curtesy and goodwill.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

a Silly Ol' Fundy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by a Silly Ol' Fundy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:46 pm

I'm going to research this pretty heavily and try to find the ample scientific proof that discredits God's creation of the world and his sending the flood. It sounds like this stuff is not very interesting to you... So with that regard thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. On the other hand, the validity of the Bible is very, very interesting to me because I've always been a soul searcher and I'm always in a constant search for truth.

majickalman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by majickalman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Whatever the case, I personally hope it gets here soon. I feel it, but not strong yet, so with my luck, it's still a ways off. But whether I stay or go, I can't wait, because I can't stand the way things are much longer. It's making life way too complicated and stressful, and we suffer from that. Oil is our Mothers cancer, and it will be gone.
An It Harm None,
Do What Ye Will.

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:58 pm

a Silly Ol' Fundy wrote:......I've always been a soul searcher and I'm always in a constant search for truth.
Same here.

Truth, however, is not an absolute thing. Truth is different for each person. And even there, it may change over time.

Search for truth externally is mostly a futile enterprise. In my experience, truth comes from within. (But then, while that's true for me - for you it might be different.)

Blessings
RainForestMoon

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:17 pm

Oil is our Mothers cancer, and it will be gone.
But then, while that's true for me - for you it might be different
Amen, and Amen!

How about doing your own talking with God about this?
It IS, after all, how all these prophecies and such were fortold in the bible in the first place. Prophesiers were very important in early Christianity and Judaism, but since Jesus they have really been discouraged, in Christianity, anyway.
Honestly, try your hand at Automatic Writing or just look really really deep into yourself to see where the answers are.
Hope they don't contradict your beliefs, but its the best way to get a real good answer.
Health and Happiness
-CHL
Last edited by Crazy Healer Lady on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

majickalman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by majickalman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:17 pm

Truth, however, is not an absolute thing. Truth is different for each person. And even there, it may change over time.

Search for truth externally is mostly a futile enterprise. In my experience, truth comes from within. (But then, while that's true for me - for you it might be different.)
If more people understood this, this would be a better place :-D
An It Harm None,
Do What Ye Will.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:35 pm

While it may be interesting to some, it belongs here in Alternative Religons. If anybody has any questions regarding the proper placement of new threads, please refer to my 'Posting 101' thread in the Newbie section.

Thank you.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:12 pm

a Silly Ol' Fundy wrote:[ The bible is inaccurate and useless in describing what hap pend in the past - what would make anyone think it would be any more useful in predicting the future? ]

Are these just opinions or do you have facts that could maybe help me see where I've been mislead.
[/quote]

My personal favorite:

Joshua was 300-400 years late to the battle of Jericho. It was only a village by the time he arrived.

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:14 pm

Rain ForestMoon wrote:
a Silly Ol' Fundy wrote:......I've always been a soul searcher and I'm always in a constant search for truth.
Same here.

Truth is truth. It's perception, though may differ between individuals.