13%
Kinda
42%

Total votes: 86

Orphan Dani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orphan Dani » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:25 am

I tend to keep a pretty low profile, wearing just my ring in public. If someone sees it and asks about it, I give just enough of a reply that they are happy and I leave it to them to ask for more. I'm still amazed at the number of folks who see the pentagram and say something like "I didn't know you were Jewish!". But around here, maybe that's a good thing! I live right in the middle of Pat Robertson Land and just down the road from Jerry Falwell Ville and push the odds by having a Darwin fish on my car!

Some members of my family know, the others couldn't handle it if they did. One of my brothers refuses to talk to me since he found out The ones who know think it's cool and well they should: my aunt is a shaman and my niece (my other brother's daughter) was a Buddhist nun, and that brother tends to think of himself as an agnostic. Very eclectic, don't ya think?

Orphan Dani

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:54 pm

I honestly don't know where I am.
I am still a Christian, but there are somethings about the church that just son't satisfy me. When I explain it too people that I am loking back to my Celtic roots they understand. When I have a Crystal in my room to absorb bad vibes from my compy, I just shrug it off as whatever works.
I think because I am majoring in Religion and Psychology people just see my witches calendar and my pendulum as an eclectic part of being in the study. this topic makes me sad because I long to go somewhere with someone into the woods and thank the earth for its bounty. I want to view the full mon with someone who won't give me weird looks. I want to be able to put Celtic Elements into my wedding that connect me back to who I am without my Mom worrying about demons.
Goodness I sound pathetic.
Oh well, I am sure someday that friend or person will come and t will be great. Until then I am closetted.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Orphan Dani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orphan Dani » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:11 pm

Willow wrote: Goodness I sound pathetic.
Blessings
No, you sound like me several years ago. A lot of what you describe is one of the reasons I'm a solitaire. True, it would be nicee to be able to share some of the experiences, but until that right person or group of people come along, I'm happy just to find a quiet corner and be me.

Orphan Dani

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:20 pm

Orphan Dani wrote:until that right person or group of people come along, I'm happy just to find a quiet corner and be me.

Orphan Dani
Oh yeah, I so know what you mean! I'm just glad to have found this place, b/c it makes life so much easier.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Baylee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Baylee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:23 pm

Late posting again...
I really never really knew what a pagan was until I started doing the whole questioning business.
Then I found that my Mom is a kind of Agnostic/Pagan, and I was born of a fertility ritual. :lol:
I then began my research, first checking out the community. Thankfully, almost all are understanding, and many in my neighborhood are pagans themselves.
Then I started my Internet research, and was led here. :-D
I'm usually completely open if someone asks, but with some people it's wise to be quiet...:roll:
Blessed Be,
Baylee
Keep in mind that many people have died for their beliefs; it's actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe.
-Christopher Paolini

Paganlight
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Paganlight » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:43 pm

Baylee - I agree. I'm quite quiet about it, until someone asks - but I would NEVER tell my family - they're quite strict Christians. I've brought it up a couple of times with them - just testing the water - sort of dropping a hnt that I know a couple of Pagans, that sort of thing, and just by judging their reactions to that, I really do NOT want to let them know I'm following this path.
"ǽr notian ond æfteryld céosan ǽghwæðer, gehwilc gesælan of árweorðung gān begeondan gelǽran and gelust."
("Till use and old age accept them, and all chance of valour has gone beyone recall or desire...")

Chelle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chelle » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:19 pm

Understand what people can go through with this situation. I get about the fact that i have to explain to people that i am not a Satan worshiper. So many people just do not understand what this is all about. It is sad really :cry:
Be what you are and not what other people want you to be!!! xxxx

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:33 pm

The misconception that all Pagans are worshiping the Devil was actually carefully cultivated by the old Catholic Church in order to convice those of the lower classes to give up their old faiths and "Be SAVED!"

It's medevial propaganda that the various churches never outgrew, because they don't feel that it's a falsehood. It amazes me how medevial brainwashing is still believed today.

#-o #-o #-o

Chelle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chelle » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:56 pm

If people just did a little research to find out about things they would realise it is not as black and white as they think. Just like everything else in life! lol #-o angry9:

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:45 pm

ah, but THERE'S the rub, the "Research Sources" are all tainted by the Dark One, and therefore can't be trusted!

You have to understand that independant thought isn't exactly encouraged by most Fundie churches. The only things you need to know about religion can be found in the Bible. Period. Any other religion is the work of the Devil.

It's really a vicious cycle. I've been forced to rely on my 1st Amendment Rights to force someone to shut up before. Had a Fundie twat up my butt on the local community college campus about my "NEEDING SAVED!" I finally told her very calmly that I was exercising my Rights as a Citizen of the United States, and that she could take her theocracy arse out of my face before I made a complaint to the Student Life office.

My best saying is:
"If you don't like me using my 1st Amendment Rights, then by all means, try to stop me. Of course, that's when you'll come up against my 2nd Amendment Right."

I don't know HOW often I've used a varient on that one!

Chelle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chelle » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:06 pm

lol. It really is so annoying though!!! There really is no point in us saying anything though because no one will listen. Everyone has a right to have their own thoughts and beliefs and whats not so there is only so much one can do! Oh well if i had the time to explain to the whole world i would have a go lol! :lol: :lol: ;)

Orphan Dani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orphan Dani » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:42 am

My best saying is:
"If you don't like me using my 1st Amendment Rights, then by all means, try to stop me. Of course, that's when you'll come up against my 2nd Amendment Right."
Very good! Would you mind terribly if I borrowed that? I live in PatRobertsonVille and am not very far frfom JerryFallwellLand-- this would make a perfect bumper sticker for around here!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:38 am

You're welcome to it.

I think it gets the point across nicely, don't you?

Orphan Dani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orphan Dani » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:49 pm

Thanks!

Gaia Dragoncat
Level 1
Level 1

Broom Closet

Post by Gaia Dragoncat » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:36 am

I'm just now opening the door and peeking out. My best friend knows and so does my husband. There are a few other people. Mainly I'm afraid to tell my mother. She is a tight Christian and I'm worried that she won't accept my choosen path in life. We have been really close and I don't want to loss that with her. But on the other side I finally feel like I'm complete. :-?
Blessed Be!