Who would you trust more?

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!

Which thief would you trust more?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:51 pm

The first malefactor
100%
"The thief that stole heaven"
No votes

Total votes: 2

Vetle
Level 4
Level 4

Who would you trust more?

Post by Vetle » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:51 pm

Here's a quote from the Christian Bible.
39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, "If thou be Christ, save thyself and us."

40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, "Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41 "And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss."

42 And he said unto Jesus, "Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom."

43 And Jesus said unto him, "Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise."
My question is, who would you trust more? Which one of the two thieves would you place more trust in and why? I already have an opinion formulated about this but I prefer to hold off on it for a while. I'll run the poll for 9 days then close it and drop my 0,02 euros in.
"I just hope angels in the forest
Saw me praying in my own soul
Death is unfair - That's real pain
Remoun you...Am I almost dead?
I miss my hope; My will to live
My last farewell forever, all alone"

-Anita Auglend

2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:39 am

I'm going to say the first one. The other seems like a huge brown-noser. I've never trusted that sort. They will tell you what you want to hear simply to get what they want.
Come to the Dark Side.....
We have cookies! :)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:55 am

Niether, the first one's bitter and the second one is trying too hard to be good...sounds like a con man.
Last edited by Kystar on Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ever-Pagan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ever-Pagan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:25 am

Reminds of a Bill Cosby bit:

When talking to his children about their grandparents (his parents) he tells them, "Those are not the same people I grew up with. They're just a couple of old people who are trying to get into heaven now."

So I'm inclined to agree with Kystar (and not my wife??) that I would put my trust in neither. If the second thief had never been caught, would he have been so penitent and accepting of Christ's 'deity'? And the first obviously has his own self-interests in mind - not someone you'd want watching your valuables while you're away.
Jesus is coming back. And boy, is he PISSED!

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

"just look on the bright side of life...."

Post by dragonflydrummer » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:28 pm

I think all three of them sound a bit far-fetched. I mean would you just be having a conversation like that while you are fighting succumbing to death during a roman-style crucifixion -- after the screws worked you over? I'm thinkin' ..... no way. :angry7:

I'd have to say "no confidence" in any of these confidence men...
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun May 08, 2005 11:32 pm

I don't trust any of them either. Particularly not the one who witnessed this and wrote it down. Wheres his documentary evidence? Where there any witnesses? What interests did he have in the "Jesus machine"? Who was paying him? Would YOU trust a newspaper reporter?.

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

just look on the bright side of life...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Mon May 09, 2005 5:33 am

Good point --
What? Did he have a microphone up there? =D>

I mean even if these guys could have a conversation through their execution -- they'd be pretty hard to understand with the groans and mumbling incoherently and all...heh heh...
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Tue May 10, 2005 1:26 am

Even though the "conversation" is probably a fictitious one, the bit
".... And Jesus said unto him, "Verily I say unto thee, To-day shalt thou be with me in paradise...."
probably makes sense, seeing they were all going to die (depending on ones idea of "paradise" of course.

By the way, the one of things that irritate me is this: Why can't the translation of what they are supposed to have said be in "real" English?

All this thee, and thou, and shalt in their bible is just a load of bullcrap to make the stuff sound somehow to have more authority. (If it's got not much substance, make it sound as if it has...)

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Wed May 11, 2005 6:20 am

Verily, Thou hast perceived the folly of
the of the archaic literary device.
I like the way Yoda
talks much more. It's about the same effect.
:smt074

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:58 am

I know I'm late on this, but I agree with Dragongflydrummer, lets have Yoda rewrite the bible!!!!! :hello1: Finally the truth will be told!!! And with all that fiction cut out the bible will actually be able to fit in ones pocket!!! HEHEH New spin on the terms 'pocket book' and 'pick pocket'. Would you really mind a pick pocket going after your pocket book? Would it be considered a crime, or more like spreading the word of god in a trickster sorta way?
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:56 am

Rain ForestMoon wrote:By the way, the one of things that irritate me is this: Why can't the translation of what they are supposed to have said be in "real" English?

All this thee, and thou, and shalt in their bible is just a load of bullcrap to make the stuff sound somehow to have more authority. (If it's got not much substance, make it sound as if it has...)
Because that is the real english language. When old english was born, you did not have the annoying double (sometimes triple) meanings, and "watch your ps and qs" that we have today. Personally, I quite like the old english, it was an honourable and polite language (something society lacks today) ... but thats my opinion.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:45 am

forgotten oceans suggests:
lets have Yoda rewrite the bible!!!!! Finally the truth will be told!!!
"Heavens and Earth, in the beginning -- by the Force created were..."
:idea1:
It's got a certain panache, n'est-ce pas?

2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:00 am

dragonflydrummer wrote: "Heavens and Earth, in the beginning -- by the Force created were..."
I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!! =D>
Come to the Dark Side.....
We have cookies! :)

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:07 am

Created them he did. Man and woman, in his own image they were.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:06 am

A bit off topic, but White Harmony I just noticed your new avatar, and I love it! :lol:
"Love like you've never been hurt."