Talking Science

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm

I'm with Ragnar all the way on this. The question of whether or not the bible is true is as real or important as whether or not SpongeBob Square Pants really exists.
As for Science, Truth and Reality are not Scientific terms, they are theological ones. Science is only concerned with what works and why it works. For instance, Newton developed the laws of motion which become very important when two cars, both going 30mph, are headed towards each other. Then Einstein found out that these rules do not apply at a sub-atomic level. This didn't make Newton untrue or Einstein more real. Just that one works better in certain circumstances.
Though perhaps I am being unfair to the Bible. The fact of the old testament is that it is Hebrew mythology and as such it holds many lessons provided we see them as lessons not as literal happenings. Just stories because, at a time when most people couldn't read or write, how do you get someone to remember a lesson? You tell them a story.
Take the very unlikely story of David and Goliath. Read it, instead of as an actual occurrence, but as a lesson in overcoming any barrier towards your desire. Then the story has merit. As historical truth it is laughable on many levels.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:56 pm

daibanjo wrote: As for Science, Truth and Reality are not Scientific terms, they are theological ones.
Intersting point. Theological or philosophical?

And although religion has it's philosophy, can philosophy be said to be a religion?

(Oh dear, THAT'S heavy for 7 O'clock in the morning. You all have permission to think about that later. :roll: :lol: )

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri May 02, 2008 7:45 am

Oy.

well some scientists say the scientific evidence is proof and therefore truth.

I am more skeptical about the term..truth can have many levels we don't always catch on to.

I think I like Stephen Colbert's term "truthiness" it allows for more flexibility
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

SageAndSalt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Talking Science

Post by SageAndSalt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Wow, such an interesting and intelligent conversation here, I hope I can equally contribute! In any case, here are my two cents:

I agree... the Bible is nothing more than a compilation of writings, some historical, some fable and myth, and some just someone's perception of an event. And once more, it is merely a sample of the thousands and thousands of writings that are being hidden away from the people "somewhere". The lucky words that ended up in the "good book" were chosen by religious leaders only to validate their male dominated society, power hungry positions, and personal agendas.

As for science, I truly believe in the theory of Divine Design. Of course there was evolution, the evidence is irrefutable, but (for myself) so is the fact of God the creator. I say "...in the beginning, God created evolution, and nature took it from there." Did it take six days? Sure it did. But who can say how long is a day in God's mind?

Jesus... he was a man, a human being who was conceived. Yet a very special one at that, coming to earth with full recollection and use of "mystical" powers, as perhaps we all have locked in our mysterious brains and have yet to be able to unlock. I am undecided on the idea of immaculate conception. I tend to believe that all spirit life comes from God, and all physical bodies are conceived by the cells of a male and female. But then again, if all things are possible with God, then why not this.

I have recently begun to understand certain theories of quantum physics, and find them to be evidence of God (again, for myself). A quote from one of my favorite old movies, "One day science will peer over the mountaintop and find that religion had been waiting there all along" ... but I say "one day mankind will peer over the mountaintop and find that religion and science have been lovers all along".

Happy debating. Blessings to all.