Goddess of the week - Ceridwen - Episode 2

This area is for the INTELLIGENT discussion of all other religions, be it Christianity, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, or anything else!
Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:03 am

Yes yes, make a thread on Taliesin, go on!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:00 am

OK I will. Though one of the best extensions of the tale that speaks of what became of Afagddu and Taliesin is in the Mists of Avalon.
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:36 am

Iriseyes wrote:Jessica I agree. I have done a lot of reading on her LOTS. Some sites even place her cauldron as the Holy Grail?
Hmm. I've never heard that one before! I guess that in the early Christian days Ceridwen's cauldron could have been seen as the Holy Grail because the pre-Christian stories were still being told and the church wanted people to believe that Christianity had always been around and it wasn't as new as the people thought. Making Ceridwen's cauldron the Holy Grail would have made it look as if Britain had been Christian as far back as Ceridwen's time.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:38 am

I can see her caldrun as the Holy Grail, it would make sense. The Cauldren is about life Death and rebirth isn't it? And the Holy Grail is about immortality, so Imortality, is life death and rebirth IMO, if you look at it that way. Again it's the Christians taking from the Pagans and making it look Christianish. Like the Horned God being the Devil Or was that Pan, Or aren't they the same person, God? I always forget sorry, I swaer sometimes, when it comes to Christianity, I am at risk of becoming a PAgan Fundie, it is so scary sometimes, it's not funny.

Anyway back on Subject, Ahh Crap I forgot what I was saying so I'll just leave it as it is, maybe someone else can finish it for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:16 pm

I guess, it's just in my mind Ceridwen's cauldron is very distinct from the Holy Grail (I've read the Holy Blood and Holy Grail, so I believe the Holy Grail to be Jesus' bloodline, not a cup/cauldron!)

Most cultures have a 'horned God', a god of the forests and wildlife. Pan is just the Greek example. There is the Celtic horned-God Cernnunos, there's the Welsh Caerwiden, there's the Anglo-Saxon Herne the Hunter...all of whom share similar aspects; having horns, being Lord of the Hunt...
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by daibanjo » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:28 pm

In the old tales there were three cualdrons:
The most well known is the cauldron of plenty. This is the pot at the end of the rainbow, or the pot that never empties. Lots of stories about this one.
Then there's the cauldron of rebirth from which we emerge at birth and which was used by the Irish to defeat the army of Bendigeidfran.
Then there's the cauldron of inspiration in the care of Ceridwen, It can only be partaken from if you are willing to undergo her trials

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Hmmm, thats very interesting, I like the cauldrun of rebirth, it's good to know the ancients we able to outsmart the enemy, Maybe we should use that in the next war, but I don't want that kind of power in the wrong hands. Like George Bush's he would then definately be Pinky and the Brain. still can't figure out which one he is pinky or brain. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by daibanjo » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:51 pm

SageWolf wrote:Hmmm, thats very interesting, I like the cauldrun of rebirth, it's good to know the ancients we able to outsmart the enemy, Maybe we should use that in the next war, but I don't want that kind of power in the wrong hands. Like George Bush's he would then definately be Pinky and the Brain. still can't figure out which one he is pinky or brain. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SageWolf

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by daibanjo » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:02 pm

Sorry :oops: I haven't got the handle of this quote thing

I wanted to say that in this tale the Irish were the bad guys. Bendigeidfran was trying to rescue his sister.
Perhaps I'll tell that tale next.
The cauldron is very powerful in the celtic legends and there are similar oracles in other religions. I hope Ragnar doesn't mind my using his as an example. But the Norse gods also had the horn of plenty and the well where all secrets were revealed.
The reasons for three cauldrons has a lot to do with the way the ancient, and modern Welsh, think in threes. There is even a repository of wisdom called the Trioedd or Triads where wisdom is given in statements of three. For example;
"Three smiles that bring despair, The smile of farewell, the smile of unrequited love, and the grin of a dog about to bite."

:-D

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:26 am

I was just going to pipe up about that too! Matholwch and his army were the baddies!

The Tale of Bendigeidfran is one of my favourites :-D As well as the Tale of Math ap Mathonwy