YOU thought Yoga was all innocent?

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Ragnar

YOU thought Yoga was all innocent?

Post by Ragnar » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:19 am

It is meant to have a calming effect, as well as working wonders on flexibility.
But yoga has actually become the source of tension for one community - because two church priests refuse to bend.
The pair have banned yoga instructor Louise Woodcock from using their church halls for her children's classes.
The Silver Street Baptist Church in Taunton, Somerset, where Miss Woodcock had wanted to lead her Yum Yum Yoga class
They told her the ancient Hindu and Buddhist meditation method is a "sham" and "unChristian".
Miss Woodcock has described their position is "ridiculous" - particularly as her Yum Yum Yoga classes involve music and movement, with no mention of spiritual teachings.
She said: "It's crazy because we're talking about kids pretending to be animals and doing exercise routines to rhymes.
"It's actually really sweet.
"There is nothing that could damage their minds in any shape or form.
"The churches have completely misunderstood it and I think they are being narrow-minded."
The Rev Simon Farrar believes yoga 'impinges on the spiritual life'
Miss Woodcock,41, who has a two-year-old daughter Summer with her partner Richard Thomas, has taught yoga for 20 years.
She was originally given permission to use the hall at Silver Street Baptist Church in Taunton, Somerset, for a children's class.
But the Reverend Simon Farrar withdrew his consent after discovering the class was yoga.
Days later she was turned away from the town's Church of England church of St James.
Miss Woodcock, who lives in Taunton, added: "I explained to the church that my yoga is a non-religious activity.
"Some types of adult yoga are based on Hindu and Buddhist meditation but it's not a part of the religion and there is no dogma involved.
"This is a class for mums and children which has yoga-inspired moves - but as soon as I mentioned the word yoga the church staff completely changed their attitude."
Mr Farrar defended the decision, saying: "We are a Christian organisation and when we let rooms to people we want them to understand that they must be fully in line with our Christian ethos.
"Clearly yoga impinges on the spiritual life of people in a way which we as Christians don't believe is the same as our ethos.
"If it was just a group of children singing nursery rhymes, there wouldn't be a problem.
"But she's called it yoga and therefore there is a dividing line we're not prepared to cross."
Reverend Tim Jones, vicar of St. James, said: "Any alternative philosophies or beliefs are offering a sham - and at St James we want people to have the real thing.
"The philosophy of yoga cannot be separated from the practice of it, and any teacher of yoga (even to toddlers) must subscribe to the philosophy.
"As Christians we believe that this philosophy is false and not something we wish to encourage.
"Yoga may appear harmless or even beneficial, but it is encouraging people to think that there is a way to wholeness of body and mind through human techniques - whereas the only true way to wholeness is by faith in God through Jesus Christ."
Miss Woodcock has managed to secure a venue at a local village hall, where she will run her first Yum Yum Yoga children's class tomorrow. She has 24 children signed up.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:30 am

Wow, I remember my pastor telling me about the evils of yoga.

"Oh no! We might benefit from the teachings of another religion!"
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:57 am

Oh no! We might benefit from bending something other than our knees!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:48 am

And here I've just been looking at it as a way to drop some pounds and get more flexible.

Who'd have thunk that I'd be getting involved in a... a sham?

I should call my cable provider and tell them to take Yoga off exercise on demand, because it's not a work out, it's THE DEVIL!

Good Grief.

I can understand that the spiritual aspect of achieving enlightenment through meditation is against their teachings, but from the article, that's not what was being taught. Granted, it's their building and they have every right to refuse any prospective user of it, but this just seems ridiculous.

You know, there's a lot of weight watchers meetings in churches. And as a former member, I can state that I was never taught that the only way to loose weight is through allowing God into your life to help improve the state of your physical temple. I was taught that we each have a responsibility to our own bodies and that through working out and proper eating, we can take control of our weight. Sounds like the work of Satan to me. I wonder if they're next. Can't have people taking responsibility for their own bodies.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:53 am

Of course not! Our minds are of God, everything else is base and defilement of the exalted... Therefore of the devil!

Man, am I glad I don't follow these idiots anymore. If you take anything to an extreme it just becomes unhealthy.

(Oh, and as an aside... My father understands completely about my faith, and supports me in my belief, even if it's not his belief :-D , on the other hand, my friend is under the impression that belief in anything approaching supernatural is wrong and the work of an insane and unhinged mind, and apparently believes this quite firmly :-( . Sorry to say, but I simply won't be explaining or talking about religion anymore with her. And she's not even Christian really, more "don't care" than anything else! [-X #-o :-? )
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Loke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Loke » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:54 am

Ragnar I think her surname was her undoing;)

Loke

ps dont blame me for this keyboard;)

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:11 pm

Loke, somehow that came to my mind too.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:57 am

Bad Bad Bad.....But funny!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:57 am

"Any alternative philosophies or beliefs are offering a sham - and at St James we want people to have the real thing."

Goodness forbid that there might be something worth learning from another culture. I forgot that religious tolerance from a Christian point of view involves everyone else lying down so the Christians can trample on them, but at the merest mention of another system makes the Christians cry persecution.

Sorry, guys, it's been a bad day for fundies where I am!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men