Backpack Blowback

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Backpack Blowback

Post by Librarian » Thu May 31, 2007 8:47 pm

Backpack Blowback: Religious Right Activists Want Preferential Treatment From Public School Forum They Created

My 31st 2007

We commented last December on a Pagan group in Albemarle County, Va., that took advantage of a Religious Right-sponsored move to open a public school’s “backpack mail” system to religious promotions.

The backlash was swift and harsh when parents received flyers announcing a Pagan holiday celebration at the local Unitarian Universalist congregation. One mother was livid that the school would send home in her child’s backpack anything it did not endorse. A “pagan ritual” is “an educational experience my children don’t need,” she fumed.
More here:

http://blog.au.org/2007/05/31/backpack- ... y-created/

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:32 am

if they don't accept pagan advertisement, then all other religious advertisement should be banned, i've said this to myself many times... you can go around school with a cross or halo on your shirt, but the first time you put on a pentacle, you go straight to the councler for "mental health evaluation" (yes this has happened to me, p*ssd me off too, i totaly went beserk on em).
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:59 am

underlilith said...
you can go around school with a cross or halo on your shirt, but the first time you put on a pentacle, you go straight to the councler for "mental health evaluation" (yes this has happened to me, p*ssd me off too, i totaly went beserk on em).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

'Cause going Bersek on them is always the best way to prove to the guidance councelor that you're sane, right?! ;)

Anyways... on a more serious side, I do agree with the opinion that you can't put out only the stuff you endose on a "public" forum. 'Nuff said!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:05 am

The hypocrisy gets me. They expect people to be happy to recieve their 'good news' and stuff in kids' backpacks, but when it's another group doing the same thing, it's suddenly cause for outrage. I despair of this world!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:09 am

underlilith wrote:you go straight to the councler for "mental health evaluation" (yes this has happened to me, p*ssd me off too, i totaly went beserk on em).
Which was EXACTLY the reaction they expected.

Thank you SO much for helping our cause.

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:25 am

i gave them reasons, and a lot of quotes (some from the "bible") to prove my point, when i said beserk, i didn't mean meaningless screaming, i meant a long and very heated discussion/argument, wich ended up me demanding that since i couldn't endourse my beliefs, that christain-based religions couldn't either (not that i got anywhere with that, i just got off with a "warning")
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:50 pm

Oh dear,

I think I read about this last year. Needless to say it won't last long. Either everything will be allowed or nothing will.

As for the parents who complained. They need a-paddlin :smt075
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)