Science vs Faith

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:05 pm

I thought it was hilaraious! :lol:

Definately worth a giggle.

And do you even need to ask Graver... I think you're the only Non-Pagan here! We're simply able to laugh at stuff like this and take it for the joke it is. If you can't laugh in my opinion, you're better off dead. :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:20 pm

Oh, I love it! :lol:

One is never fully adjusted if one cannot laugh at oneself :lol: It's good to cultivate a sense of self-mockery. Never take yourself too seriously.

And I agree with what many others have said. Not having a holy book means one must gain information from a myriad of different sources. You take what you like, throw away what you don't, and each time you do your beliefs are modified. Each time you pick up a new book you open your mind to possible change. When an idea stops working, you can throw it away and use a new one, or modify it so it works again. I know my beliefs have changed many times, in small ways and big ways. This doesn't mean that my original beliefs were "wrong", just that they weren't quite as right for me as the ones I have now. And later on, these won't suffice either. How can I believe the same thing if I have gained more information? That would just be me being terribly stubborn, fighting against the flow of knowledge.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:04 pm

Graver wrote:Wow, I was about to write a huge rant about how stupid that image is,
Not half as stupid as someone who annoys the librarian. (OOK!)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:49 am

Ragnar wrote:
Graver wrote:Wow, I was about to write a huge rant about how stupid that image is,

LOL...oops, I think I teased the Lib a while ago.....still waiting for my divine retribution!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Librarian

Post by Librarian » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:12 pm

Willow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

LOL...oops, I think I teased the Lib a while ago.....still waiting for my divine retribution!
I'll take a raincheck on that spanking. ;)
Last edited by Librarian on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:52 pm

Librarian wrote:
I'll take a raincheck on tha spanking.
HEY! This is a family site!

:-D :-D :-D :-D
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:44 pm

I don't remeber seeing that in the moderators duties. :orcass:

That would be anythign but divine, I was hoping for a lightning bolt!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:27 am

Well, if you're just looking for a laugh at thet expense of Christians, you all should read this article.
Maybe not?

Eretik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eretik » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:26 am

Wow. I don't like this kind of thinking and I despise all forms of fundamentalism,[ it's meant as a joke? right? this article?] whatever the faith, but I don't hate Christians per se or like to get cheap laughs at Christianity, some things are very funny - granted, but I laugh at Pagan jokes too.
Iwas once...I am now...I will yet be...

Librarian

Post by Librarian » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:55 am

The Onion is pure satire. Now, if you want something truly funny... http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

Eretik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eretik » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:24 pm

I love Landover, it's brilliant. It's on my faves.list.
Iwas once...I am now...I will yet be...

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:57 am

Graver wrote:Well, if you're just looking for a laugh at thet expense of Christians, you all should read this article.
It was pretty amusing, but the Onion is an amusing site. Intelligent falling...well someone was bound to come up with that idea :-D I don't have a laugh at the sole expense of Christians, or Muslims, or Buddhists, I'll have a giggle about Pagan jokes too just like Eretik.

I find the Christian creation story a little difficult to believe, but I also find other religious creation stories a little difficult to believe too. Whether it took billions of years for the creators to invent the universe and everything in it or only six days, I think everyone can agree that the universe is pretty spectacular and definitely worthy of wonder and awe :-D It doesn't matter so much how we got here, what matters is what we do with our time and I suppose the diagram Librarian posted indicates that people of the Abrahamic faiths stick with one central idea to explain the universe and their central idea never changes, whereas I suppose people of the Pagan/Heathen faiths are always questioning and seeking out answers on a personal level. It's not meant to mock, it just points out different ways of expressing faith.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:48 pm

You may all like to note, allthough Onion is a satirical magazine, what it reports re gravity, is as serious as it gets. They have interviewed the guy who wrote the origional thesis, here on German T,V. And he is deadly serious. As are a lot of what pass here for "fundies". #-o

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:52 pm

Whena religion gets as large as Christianity, its bound to include a number of educated idiots. :) As it stands, I've never heard of anyone in the Christian community holding this idea about gravity as true. A respected member of this thread once said, in response to me communicating some bogus evolutionary theory that I had heard off the Discovery Channel,
The theory of evolution makes no such claim.

If you were taught that it does, then you have been lied to.

And If you try to tell us that this is what the theory of evolution entails, then you are trying to lie to us.

So, what are you?

A fool for believing such lies about the theory of evolution without checking the facts?
A liar for knowingly spreading such falsehoods about the theory of evolution?
Or a combination of the two?
I think you can safely replace "Theory of Evolution" with "Christian belief concerning Gravity" and keep the logic of the statement the same.
Maybe not?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:31 pm

Looking back at the origional diagram, I think a little amendment should be made;