Science vs Faith

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Science vs Faith

Post by Librarian » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:33 pm

I love this graphic.

Last edited by Librarian on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm

Wow, I was about to write a huge rant about how stupid that image is, but its honestly not worthy of the effort it would take... Are you even a pagan? That graphic seems like the atheistic drivel and teenagers who idolize their professors spout off to prove a point and ignore the fact that they're being laughed at. I didn't think pagans and atheists had much in common. I actually thought Christians and pagans had more in common than atheists and... well... anyone else.
Maybe not?

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:54 am

The Pagan faiths give room to question beliefs, whereas it seems that followers of the Abrahamic religions have to just accept stuff the way it tells it in their holy books.

We (Pagans) don't have scripture that presents one idea that we have to stick with even if it might not reflect our personal feelings...example, many Pagans believe in the Wiccan Rede and the Threefold Law, but many do not. Does this make the people who don't believe in it bad Pagans? Nope, they just have a different opinion and we accept it and move on. No one here has the same Goddess and/or God (I think) or at least we may worship the same Goddess and/or God in name only and do completely personal and unique things to honour them.

The Pagan faiths are about personal feelings and considerations, so I think the Librarian's diagram does represent the truth. We don't have doctrines and dogma the way Christians do.

However, the headings are 'Science' and 'Faith', so Librarian wasn't getting at Paganism vs Abrahamic faith.
Last edited by Jescissa on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:30 am

Aside from ruffling feathers, at 5:30 in the morning, that's pretty d**n funny. :lol: :lol:
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Gatekeeper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gatekeeper » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:32 am

I like it best as it is told in the movie Dogma (great movie btw).

it is would have been better if most faith would have sticked to being an idea. you can always change an idea. it is harder to change a religion.
I think the believing world in general would be alot more accessable and peacefull if there personal religion would be easier to adept to changes and less into in believing in what was written more the 2000 years ago.

People do change, why doesn't there believes change with them?

Ps: the scheduals are funny
Death is not the end!!! you just don't stop in the middle of a project

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 am

Gatekeeper wrote:People do change, why doesn't there believes change with them?
Exactly :-D Hit the nail on the head! I've been a Pagan for 8-9 years now and I know I don't have quite the same beliefs as I did when I started on the path.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:05 am

Graver wrote: I didn't think pagans and atheists had much in common. I actually thought Christians and pagans had more in common than atheists and... well... anyone else.
We learn something everyday, don't we?

I think Jessica put it quite right, we can question our beliefs.
Look at it this way, faith resembles water. As long as it flows, water remains healthy and can provide sustenance. If water becomes stagnant however.....
/|\

Eretik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eretik » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:48 am

I think it's brilliant, I also think it IS pointed at Abrahamic faiths, look at the symbols - Star of David, Crescent Moon and Christian Cross. It describes perfectly, my experience of debating religion with 'fundie' members of these faiths. Ignore contradictory evidence, you could add to that 'repeat the same argument over and over ,ad nauseam...despite it being shown to be flawed'...or' if all else fails quote chapter and verse, with the codecil- Satan is tricking you and you are damned to hell,again, ad nauseam.'
Iwas once...I am now...I will yet be...

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:58 am

Eretik wrote:Satan is tricking you
Oh dear, I've heard that one more times than I care to remember. I suppose it's just up to us to walk away and carry on living and knowing there's no such thing as Satan and we don't worship it!

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

I love flow charts!

And yeah, that's pretty funny. The trick is not getting stuck in a single track where you're afraid to ask questions.

This one was pretty decent too:

http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Featu ... wchart.pdf

Gatekeeper, Dogma actually put it in the perfect perspective for me. For whatever reason, I'd been feeling major guilt about my choice for faith for a while and then I saw the movie. Kevin Smith might make his living by telling a bunch of fart jokes, but he's actually a pretty smart guy.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:50 pm

LOL, those are both funny.

I try not to take these things too seriously, I know some pretty derogatory jokes about pagans too, all based on stereotypes.

My expereince with Fundies weas "Well I have this better science and your science was done poorly"

I don't know how many times I have been told that carbon dating is inaccurate, anthropologists are morons, Or that I don't study "real" Christianity ( I have another rant about that).

Thanks for those!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:50 pm

Graver wrote:Wow, I was about to write a huge rant about how stupid that image is, but its honestly not worthy of the effort it would take... Are you even a pagan?
Hey, it's two tablets, and was handed down to me by servants of the divine Kibo! :lol:

Yuo know, Graver, there's been some comments about you trying to start arguments and getting on people's nerves, so i thought we might have to have a talk.

But now i see those people were mistaken. I now find you simply amusing in a sad way. As I sit here this evening listening to The Corrs singing "I would love to love you like you do me", I can only have the greatest pity for such a poor lost little soul like yours. I hope you find peace someday.

:hug:

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:37 pm

oh ouch if anyone is keeping Tabs

Librarian 1

Graver 0
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:41 pm

Now, SageWolf, let's be nice, it's a wonder Graver is with us still after how we've treated him so unfairly. :smt077
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:53 pm

:angel9: :angel8: :angel8: :angel7: :angel7: :angel7: I was being nice
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know