I can't believe this...

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:28 am

I love reading what they hand out....I am not sure why.

Same reason I love reading Jack Chick comics, maybe it's like not being able to look away from a car accident.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Lol, Jack Chick is my favorite. I quote him a lot because I'm a Christian that plays DnD (I'm a Mod at a huge DnD message board *geek'd!*)
Maybe not?

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:45 am

Someone did a parody of a Chick Tract featuring Cthulhu. Cthulhu is one of H.P. Lovecraft's 'Elder Gods', a tentacled alien creature who is asleep on earth waiting for the continent of R'Iyeh to rise...by which time he will start eating us all :-? One of my friends says he is a devotee of Cthulhu (although I'm sure he's joking, it would be like worshipping Blind Io or Anoia from the Discworld), "Jesus saves but Cthulhu eats...choose wisely!"
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:16 am

Graver wrote: because I'm a Christian that plays DnD
Interesting. I presume you are in the States?

Na, any way. In the 80s, in U.k the fundies had a country wide press campaign against DnD, because it "led people to satan". A lot of church halls banned the renting of their halls to DnD playing groups, and roll players as well.

Did the same happen in the States?

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:25 am

Jescissa wrote:Someone did a parody of a Chick Tract featuring Cthulhu. Cthulhu is one of H.P. Lovecraft's 'Elder Gods', a tentacled alien creature who is asleep on earth waiting for the continent of R'Iyeh to rise...by which time he will start eating us all :-? One of my friends says he is a devotee of Cthulhu (although I'm sure he's joking, it would be like worshipping Blind Io or Anoia from the Discworld), "Jesus saves but Cthulhu eats...choose wisely!"
Lovecraft is... well, love. And you know those horrible creatures with more tentacles than teeth from the Dungeon Dimensions? Yeah, Pratchett reads Lovecraft too :lol: Remember Bel-Shamaroth? Personally I reckon worshipping Cthulhu would be like worshipping Bel-Shamaroth. Lots of doom, etc. The only way I could see someone actually worshipping him is if they somehow hoped to be on the winning side. Instead of, you know, being instantly devoured. Snerk. Cthulhu Fh'tagn!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am

Ragnar I know there was a big Hoo Doo about it along time ago, but I can't remember everything that happened, it was something along the lines of the kids taking roll playing to seriously, and a few of them died or got killed. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure anywho. DnD is not a bad game I've played it for years and I even had my parents tell me they didn't want me to play,when I was a teen, but I still play, when I can. My husband and his family and some friends play every Sat night, I used to till I started working on Sunday mornings, They also play Star Wars. In my own OP there is nothing wrong with it, as long as the roll playing is just that. It's actually a fun way to relieve stress as well.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:58 am

Here in the states I know there was a hubub about it because some kid committed suicide supposedly because his character died, which prompted a parental investigation which turned most parents against it because they saw it as satanic and dangerous (a la suicide). I've never heard of gamers renting out church space to RP... That's just... strange.

Sagewolf, Star Wars is what got me into RPGs. My friend had a swprg campaign going and I loved it. I guess it worked as a gateway game do much more sinister things ( :lol: ) like DnD.
Maybe not?

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:35 am

Yeah I heard a similar story of parents getting upset cuz of Vampire the Masquerade. There was some kid who I guess was the ringleader of his group who took the game too seriously and actually started thinking he was a vampire, drinking blood and all that. Then he somehow talked his little group into helping him kill one of the kids' parents or something. Crazy stuff, I remember people being in an uproar about that for a while.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:04 pm

So...kids kill themselvs all the time because of lousy parents and bullies at school, why don't we get rid of those?

sorry, but in MHO, if you get that inot a game...well...Darwin may be doing his magic. No disrespect to the parents and family, but geez...its a game.

Maybe its a bigger symptom of a society where we never let kids fail.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:33 pm

Grimwell's Mom tried to throw out his books when he was younger. She'd gone to church and they'd said it would tempt him follow Satan.

He came home and found most of his books in the trash. After picking them all up, he attempted to take them back into the house. His Mother was still there and told him it was evil, and she wouldn't have it in her house. Apparently he looked at her and said that she could pay him his $600 right then, because that's what the books had cost.

She said she wouldn't pay him to get rid of his devils books. She was his Mother and he would listen to her. I believe he looked at her and said that in that case, something of similar value of her would be "lost". They had a contest of wills and he won. :lol:

Meh. My Mother's two worried are God & Carpeting, but when I told her I was playing D&D, she asked what it was. When I explained the concept to her she said, "So you're an 18 year old, playing "make believe"? When will you get your heads out of the clouds?" :lol:

So I didn't really have a problem, but I certainly know people who have... :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:58 pm

Graver wrote:I've never heard of gamers renting out church space to RP... That's just... strange.
Na. Thats Britain. Church halls are rented out to various community groups. Womens institute, photography clubs, Combat flower arranging clubs, things like that. It helps to put new roofs on the church, and to buy new choir boys when the old ones are split.

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by iriseyes » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:20 am

I can remember in the 80's some kids at my school were playing DND, Everyone pointed at them and said they are of the devil.. Everyone believed that including my self, I mean how could I not believe my elders.

The main guy that played they said he was a high priest in the devil craft.. Years later I look back and thing good grief, what a dumb a$$ I was..
To thine own self be true.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:59 pm

With us it was Magic The Gathering cards.

The killing point was that one card in particular had a Pentagram on it, which of course made it satanic. That card was later modified by the folks that make the cards to remove the pentagram but the damage was done. We couldn't play in school anymore and most everybody's parents thought they were devil cards and tried to throw them out. We're talking about hundreds of dollars worth of cards.

heh, speaking of which, if there's any MTG geeks here, I'm selling. :-d My collection goes from 5th edition up to 8th, with most of the expansions in between.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:44 pm

oh sooooooo tempting. I'm a D&D, BESM & MtG geek...but no tournament for Magic. I lost all my play buddies, so I'm not sure I NEED new cards...but...hmmm, I'll have to skim over what I got to see what I need.

I'll get back to you on that.

In case no one recognizes the Acronym, BESM means Big Eyes Small MOuth. It's a loose Anime-based system. not too bogged down in major rules, until you hit BESM d20, which I can't get my grubby little hands on. No particular Anime, mind you, just anime. It's the only game system I GM with.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:39 pm

M:tG is made by the same people that make DnD, thus making it exponentially evil, y'know? :lol:
Maybe not?