I can't believe this...

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Stormy

I can't believe this...

Post by Stormy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:31 pm

Got an email from a friend at a previous job (where my husband still works) that is a petition to stop an atheist group from getting the reading of the scriptures banned from tv and radio. It states how "we ignored this woman once before and now we don't have prayer in schools or public offices anymore..." bla bla bla. Now, I could just have let it go, except for this last line...
REMEMBER: Our country was founded on freedom of religion
and our Constitution is based on the 10 Commandments.
It just makes me sick :evil:
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:40 pm

I have studied this subject vigorously in history. That last bit makes me angry...
Our Constitution was NOT based on the 10 commandments, but rather, John Locke's philosophy of freedom of religion, press, and expression. In the beginning there was no separation of church and gov. but now there IS.
Our Constitution is founded on the belief that people should not be ruled by one person alone, (Monarchy-king/queen) but rather, a group of people. (Pres., cabinet, judges, etc.) In the Con. it states that one may pray at school, at a job, or any place deemed appropriate, as long as it is not slandering or degrading someone else/their beliefs. I knew two Hindu kids who got off of 4 period to pray.

About the Athiest thing, that person (Athiest woman.) better learn that you can't force your opinions on everybody. Pagans and Wiccans (Most of them...) don't shove our theories and opinions down their throat...

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 pm

Eh, we Christians produce our fair share of ignorant busy-bodies. But, i haven to say that I agree that supression of religion isn't a good thing. I've seen the Qu'ran quoted on television, and I've even seen a "spell" cast on television. I think its just the atheists trying to force their beliefs on the rest of the world.
Maybe not?

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:20 am

Graver wrote:supression of religion isn't a good thing.
Agreed. Plus, I know plenty of so-called athiests who are only too happy to get presents for nothing at Yule/Christmas!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:32 am

LOL, the athiest fundie.....dealt with enough of them.

Christian nation, have these people never heard of aboriginals?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 am

Willow wrote:Christian nation, have these people never heard of aboriginals?
Sadly, Willow, these are probably the people who think that the natives of the land needed re-educating to change their 'dirty pagan ways'...or have no idea that there were people on the American continent before Europeans started arriving!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:59 am

Yes, I do agree, supressing religion - ANY religion - is wrong. What I think they were implying (along with their stupid statement about the constitution being based on the ten commandments) was that freedom of religion meant the CHRISTIAN religion - seeing as the constitution was based on the Christian ten commandments :roll:

These are the folks who will scream about having freedom of religion, but only if it applies to THEIR religion.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:33 am

And good luck convincing the atheists that they ARE, in fact, a religion. Oh man. The fundies get their fleathers ruffled like mad when you start arguing that point with them :lol:
Maybe not?

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Funny how the Christians tend to gloss over the fact that Europe was a Pagan society before it was a Christian one...and that the Catholic/christian churches adopted various Pagan festivals and holy days in order to convert people...and some of their rituals.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:50 pm

I think colonialsim does that.

Based on early anthropologists, the systems of belief in place were considered superstitions instead of religions.

Its funny because Buddhists also forget they were Hindus. Some Muslim sects use prayer beads (A practise taken from Buddhism).

I think most people have rose coloured glasses when they look to their history.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Freedom of Religion is a two-edged-sword, just like any other freedom.

It must stop where it takes away another person's freedom.

For some Christians and Moslems their religions commands them to put 'unbelievers" to the sword. (Worse than that, many of them - both Christian and Moslem - take it to the next step and even believe that they need to kill the adherents of a different sect of their own religion.) Clearly, Religious freedom does not extend that far.

Now things are never quite as black and white, and there maybe blurred boundaries. Person A enjoying their freedom of religion by broadcasting prayers (be that on TV or by loudspeakers from Mosques) may well be infringe the religious freedom of person B, whose religion does not permit them to hear such prayers..........or who simply do not want to be exposed to such prayers.
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:42 pm

Graver wrote:And good luck convincing the atheists that they ARE, in fact, a religion.
The difference between a Christian and an Atheist is this:

A christian denies the existence of thousands of Gods.

An atheist denies the existence of thousands of Gods (but one more than the christians do)

Much the same, really.
RainForestMoon

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:53 pm

I like words. Therefore I see atheist as "lack of belief in a deity" and antitheist as "totally against deities". But I appreciate that the world doesn't think in the same way as I do.

I do tend to correct people when they use "antisocial" in place of "asocial" but am trying to restrain myself from such corrections. I know what people mean so I probably shouldn't be an arse about it.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:02 pm

Windwalker wrote: I do tend to correct people when they use "antisocial" in place of "asocial" but am trying to restrain myself from such corrections.
Yes, that very thing also annoys me no end. How many times, when people call me antisocial, have I had the urge to tell them that they don't know what antisocial is, and that I may be asocial, or perhaps avoidant, but absolutely not antisocial.
But that's all too hard, and instead I normally tell them to get f*****d. (With a smile on my face.)
RainForestMoon

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:26 am

LOL good for you. Some people just prefer a bit of alone time.

In Canada we have freedomm of religiona nd freedom from relgion. you are permitted to practise until it starts to impese on someone elses choice t have nothing to do with relgion

However it is a fine balancing act . We have had debates recently about shar'iah law, providing prayer spaces at work, which holidays should people get off (observant Jews have a lot of holidays). Its hard to balance.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)