Visit by W.J.s

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Visit by W.J.s

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:36 am

This morning there was a visit by JWs.

In the past I was never able to see them on their way without an acrimonious exchange. But I'm getting to the stage in life where I've mellowed a bit, so I thought I'd try a different approach.

(BTW, even though we live in a clearing in the rainforest, it seems the JWs have found out that someone lives here, so they come here with religious fervor and regularity...)

They (a Man and a Woman) started off by saying that they have come to talk to people about the environment.
To which I replied: Oh, you are Greenies!!
He said: "Not really." (I pointed at his (greenish) shirt.) "Or I might be Irish - they are Green"
To which I answered: "Or Orange!" (But this was lost on them.....)

After a brief exchange in which they suggested that the earth might be doomed .... to which I replied that - whilst humans might be doomed, the earth certainly is not ..... they got around to wanting to tell me what God has to say about these things.

Me: "Which particular God are you referring to?"
this seemed to confuse them - probably not in their script.
They: "Well, we are Jehovas Witnesses!"
Me: "Aaaah, you are talking about the christian God."
They" (confused by now) "We are Jehovas Witnesses."
Me: "I believe that christianity is a superstition." (A nice line I got from a Hindu somewhere along the line.)
They: ...... silence......
Me: "I'm a bit busy at the moment; Goodbye"
and away they went.........
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:52 pm

LOL, good catch on the orange Irish.

I always want to have intelligent discussion and learn about what they believe, but the problem arises that after the fact is that if you express interest, they don't leave you alone.

Congrats on your patience.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Re: Visit by W.J.s

Post by Ragnar » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:33 am

Rain ForestMoon wrote: it seems the JWs have found out that someone lives here, so they come here with religious fervor and regularity...)
Must be BAD if you feel forced to move to Switzerland as a result. :lol:

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 pm

I have a friend whose family is JW. She's having problems with the religion because although she's a Christian in her beliefs, she doesn't like pushing those beliefs on others (being the sweetest girl in the world) and she's in love with a guy who isn't a JW.... *insert drama here*

So, in general I don't have a bad history with JWs. No one has actually come to my door with pamphlets. As far as I can tell from what odd information I have gleaned from friends, for JWs, heaven isn't a very big place and you only get in if you recruit a certain number of other people. This seems terribly mean of their god. It's like you only win the prize if you sell a certain number of boxes of cookies - only worse, because if you don't make the cut you don't just get no prize, you get eternal detention or something. I appreciate I may have completely the wrong idea, but still.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

BornoftheEarth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BornoftheEarth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:56 pm

::starts singing::
"Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green...."

I love that song!

I'm glad that I've never been hassled by any JWs. I do have a line ready for when they come though.

"Oh man, JW's? Look, if I give you 10 bucks will you just go away so I can finish my dinner? I mean, youre wasting my time and I guarantee I'm wasting yours. So look, just take this and go get some beers or something. See ya. Thanks."
Odin, guide our ships,
our axes, spears and swords!
Guide us through storms that whip
and in brutal war!

-Amon Amarth-

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:03 pm

BornoftheEarth wrote: "Oh man, JW's? Look, if I give you 10 bucks will you just go away so I can finish my dinner? I mean, youre wasting my time and I guarantee I'm wasting yours. So look, just take this and go get some beers or something. See ya. Thanks."
Like it! Particulrly the beer bit. :lol:

Graver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graver » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:45 pm

JWs are fun and a lot easier to mess with than Mormons. The difference is that the JWs know the weird things that the Church teaches, but just don't like to admit it. The Mormons don't even know what's going on in their church.

Honestly, the quickest way to get rid of any of them is to pretend to (or, as some of you here might, actually do) cast a spell on them. Its funny. I did it once (Pretend, of course). I swear you'll never see JWs run faster in your life!

There is a movie coming out that tells the story of the Mormon massacre of 150 people lead by Brigham Young. You guys might find it interesting, I know I will.
Maybe not?

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:28 am

Graver wrote:JWs are fun and a lot easier to mess with than Mormons. The difference is that the JWs know the weird things that the Church teaches, but just don't like to admit it. The Mormons don't even know what's going on in their church.
Both JW's and Mormons are christians as far as I'm concerned.

And the stuff they believe, when you get down to the nitty-gritty, is basically no more and no less weird than what any christian church teaches.......
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:18 pm

If I were to answer the door and say stuff like that, my bootay would be in serious trouble! From what I hear, and my opinions, the LDS church owns most of downtown Salt Lake City. They have new laws prohibiting smokers from smoking withing 50' of a large gathering of people. Rediculous! They promote all these 'Stops smoking! It's soooo bad for you! Your gonna die in *insert date* cuz you smoked!' type ads. Recently, and to my disgust, they were putting anti-smoking cakes in some of the URINALS in downtown SLC! Hmmm, I don't see many anti-alcohol ads.... or meth, or coke, or *Insert drug*... :roll:
I don't like those stiff starchy type missionaries, they act so... weird. My mom opened the door one night, and there were salesmen out there. She cracked it open like 2 inches and they're sat there haggling her until she finally let the door shut. Then one OPENED THE DOOR, and started to haggle her some MORE! She shut the door and locked it this time!=D> Oh, the people these days...

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:47 am

put a no soliciting sign up, maybe that will help, or (even if you don't smoke) light up a cig and blow it in their faces, if they are on your porch being rude, well I say you can be rude back

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:47 am

I gotta love the Mormons. I was in Utah in 2002 working for the Olympics committee during the winter olympics. I was based in Ogden, I was working up on Green Mountain where they do the skiing. Of course I soon found 26th street where all the bars are. I still chuckle at the memory of Mormons arguing their religion over a beer.
The other thing i noticed was the way they curse in Utah. Words like "Oh Fetch." and "It's freakin' cold" I suppose when Mormons have sex they "Fetch" While I was there I was working such long hours that i was too freakin' tired to fetch.
When I was about 13 years old back in Wales, I met some Mormon missionaries. After talking to them I went to my Grampa, old Druid as he was, and told him that the mormons said that Joseph Smith saw god in a grove of trees. My Grampa just said.
"When you are in a grove of trees, don't eat the mushrooms."
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

iriseyes
Level 6
Level 6
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by iriseyes » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:53 am

SageWolf wrote:put a no soliciting sign up, maybe that will help, or (even if you don't smoke) light up a cig and blow it in their faces, if they are on your porch being rude, well I say you can be rude back

SageWolf
Spoken like a true Missourian!! :lol:
To thine own self be true.

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:26 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: But I'm an implant, maybe Hubby is rubbing off on me, #-o #-o

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Sapphire
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Taurus

Post by Sapphire » Tue May 01, 2007 5:02 am

We've recently had our first (in my lifetime, at least) visit by the JWs. Man, are we scared of them in the West Country! My mum phoned in advance to say that they were coming, so I just had time to close the curtains, switch off the TV and make my younger brother lie down on the floor. Jynx stood guard on the doorstep, but it didn't stop the JWs hanging around for about ten minutes, banging the doorknocker ferociously.

They must've met our neighbours, though, because they haven't come back!

~ Sapphy
Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens ~
Douglas Jerrold

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue May 01, 2007 6:58 am

Wow, I can't believe you hid from them.

I have been encountering mormons on the bus in Toronto lately, they always seem to go for ethnic minorities.

I always want to tell, their "victim" to ask the mormon what the church teaches about people of colour
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)