Fundie of the Month: May

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 31, 2006 7:41 pm

I really enjoyed the book. I can see many plotholes, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Movie... sucked. I would have enjoyed it if I had not read the book, MAYBE.

I don't think I would like any of Brown's other books, though, but I really was happy with all the info about the Divine Feminine and sticking up for Pagans without totally bashing the Church, much less Xianity
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:47 am

yeah but in the film langdon stuck up for christians and said he prayed to jesus....

anywho..

Angel and Demons (also has langdon in it) i'm currently half way through it.. it is Brilliant!
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:00 am

I liked the movie, and I really enjoyed the book. Perhaps because I saw the movie first, the book couldn't make me dislike the movie.

And I'm quarter-way through Angels & Demons as well. Very good book, although for me, simply because of all the science, I'm finding it harder to get into.

Not that I dislike science, but I much prefer symbology. ;)
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:57 am

In the movie Langdon stuck up for Xianity, but the Church was completely bashed down. They turned Aringarosa into an evil man, when he was just a desperate Fundamentalist. (Don't say they're the same thing :lol: ) In the book, the Church had nothing to do with the attempted recovery of the Grail and the assassinations, but here they were strictly involved.

I wonder, did Ron Howard actually read the book, or just skim through??
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:36 pm

I particularly like Langdon's speech at the end to Sophie, in particularly the line "... perhaps human is divine..." can't remember the rest of the actual quote but it has a nice ring to it don't you think. Considering the Xianity basis of belief of man as sin.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Rockhopper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:40 pm

I think that a lot of people are either forgetting, or completely missing, that The DaVinci Code is fiction. It amazes me to see grown adults get their knickers in a twist over something that some guy made up.

Also, I just want to say that I've found the DaVinci Code Tarot Deck, that had me laughing for a good half hour. :lol:
Avatar is Feathers McGraw, from Wallace and Gromit's The Wrong Trousers... I love that movie :)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Oh no, they did NOT make a Davinci code tarot deck. Please tell me they didn't stoop that low! ::sigh:: Ok I could've believed that perhaps the story had some grains of truth to it (because it does appear to), but now that they have a tarot deck related to the book, it loses all credibility...and makes me very sad :cry:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Is there a link where we can see pictures of this DaVinci Code Tarot? Just for a laugh...? Come on, I find my links to the Ferret Tarot and the Hello Kitty Tarot!

Oh, I should specify, that these are real decks that you can buy. I've considered buying them, just for some of the pictures.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Rockhopper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:35 am

Avatar is Feathers McGraw, from Wallace and Gromit's The Wrong Trousers... I love that movie :)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:58 am

Oh gods you are kidding...

Although the artwork really is stunning O___O

It is a work of fiction, but to me the book really touches something with its description of the Sacred Feminine, the pain of loss of which myself and I believe almost all others are dealing with and have dealt with since its loss.

You know: on second thought, I would buy these tarot cards a) if I used tarot and b) if I needed a new deck. The concepts brought up in this book are valid and beautiful, even if it is just a work of fiction and the author is selling out like there is no tomorrow.

Ahhh I sound like a fruit ^__^
Crazy Healer Lady

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:27 am

Allright I will say that the artwork is incredible, and if I bought the deck it would be just for that alone. But yeah, it still amazes me that they went that far. It's about as credible as the Harry Potter deck. :roll:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:36 am

I'll admit it's ludicrous, but really isn't the point of all these crazy new decks to find one that speaks to an individual?

I could honestly see that deck speaking to me.

Maybe I'm just being a picky b***h ;)
Crazy Healer Lady

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:45 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Maybe I'm just being a picky b***h ;)
You're not! I agree with all the 'crazy new decks' being made and all. As you said, they're supposed to be there so people can find something that speaks to them. I'll be the first to admit- out of all the different decks I have seen, my favorite ones most definately are not the 'traditional' ones.
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:31 pm

Well, I didn't like the book or the movie. I figured out half the clues before the main character.

For anyone who likes that type of book though, Foucaults pnduluum is amazing, it is more complicated but phenomenal. And if anyone is interested in stories of the Sacred feminine, I cannot recommend the book The Red Tent enough. Absolutely amazing.

As for the tarot decks, I have seen several out there. My friend got a fairy deck designed "only to bring you good luck and positive energy" I think it has a change card rather than a death card.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:43 pm

Ooooo VERY interested in works on the Sacred Feminine!!

That's really what I love the book for :P

The codes and all that are fun, but meh.
Crazy Healer Lady