Fundie of the Month: May

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Fundie of the Month: May

Post by Lotus » Sat May 20, 2006 5:35 am

With the release of 'The Da Vinci Code' lots of fundies are protesting in their own way to force "moral values" on everyone. As I was reading USA Today I came across the person I think should be our fundie of the month.....Dr. Ted Baehr charman of the Christian Film and Television Commission. Note that he founded Movieguide.org that rates movies to promote Christian values. Pay attention while visiting this site and look at the petition to ban 'The Da Vinci Code.' BTW: if link does not work then google movieguide.org

I will quote a section of his opposing view from USA Today that I think will tell the tale. Found in Today's Debate section 13A on May 19, 2006 (sorry I cannot provide a link because I physically got the paper)
"Although it <'The Da Vinci Code"> is fiction, it contains enough references to history to make Christians question their beliefs."

Isn't this what they are afraid of anyway because they are not secure in their faith? Yep, lets get rid of anything that questions anyone's religion. :roll: :-D

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Firelord

Post by Firelord » Sat May 20, 2006 7:01 am

It's not hard to make most of them question their beliefs...

Does that say something about their religion? Or does it say that fear isn't working for controlling people any more?

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat May 20, 2006 8:20 am

I learned from Brown Eyed Girl (Who I haven't seen on the boards for a while... Maybe this will bring her on, like having a shower when you're waiting for a phonecall) that the Bishop of Birmingham is calling everyone to boycott the film.

All the more reason to go see it.
My mother (a Catholic) is reading the book right now, and says it is fantastic.

I have been waiting for this film for about two years!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Sat May 20, 2006 9:19 am

I think he's actually working for the "Code" people. When visiting the site I saw books, articles, petitions, and blogs all denouncing the movie. How could they possibly give the movie any more free advertising?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun May 21, 2006 10:27 am

Question your beliefs? What a terrible thing! I did not like the book one bit and I have heard so many debates as to whether or not Christians should read it. Dr. James Dobson (one of my least favourite guys) is adamant that Christians shouldn't read it because it will put evil thoughts in their heads, and once those thoughts are in there, they won't come out.

:roll:

Oh well, I guess I will just have to watch and see what the fundies say about the movie.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rev. Asher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rev. Asher » Sun May 21, 2006 10:50 am

I loved the book and have been telling all my friends to read it. I liked the way he incorperated history and modern places. Not to mention all the art. I love art... anyway, I thought it was really wonderful. It makes you wonder how much of it was truth and how much came from Mr. Brown's head. I like the statement at the beginning of the book too. It lends a somewhat truthful air to the whole book. But it being a fiction book, after reading it you sort of have to step back and look at the whole.

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Sun May 21, 2006 12:33 pm

I've actually seen the movie now and I've also read the book. :lol: To be honest I don't think the movie makes much sense, unless you've read the book. For instance:

Fache: Do you like our pyramid.
Langdon: Yes
Fache: A scar on Paris.

lol :lol: What's the bet everyone who's read the book will immediately think of about everything that went through Langdon's head when that question was asked. I have no problems with the movie being an extention onto the book, as visually speaking the examination on Leonardo's Last Supper made alot more sense.

Go see the film and make up your own mind.
PS. Expect a few subtle changes in the story line, as it is an adaption to screen, hence the heroic escapades of Tom Hanks.
chuckle :lol: :lol:
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Rev. Asher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rev. Asher » Sun May 21, 2006 12:40 pm

I'm not sure I'll like the movie, for some reason I just can't stand Tom Hanks. He ruins movies for me.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sun May 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Yeah, I saw the movie too, and agree that you actually need to read the book in order to completely understand the movie. Also, because I read the book, the movie couldn't really live up to my expectations, but it still was a decent movie.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun May 21, 2006 8:53 pm

I am reading it as we speak!!! Chapter 40. Have only read for a few hours. I LOVE IT. My mom (the Catholic... It's important you know for this) looks at the book, looks at her upbringing, and says it finally all makes sense. I know it's a work of fiction, but, to be honest, this is kind of what I always thought had happened... :oops: Had no idea about Magdalene, or the nitty gritty like the info of the knights, but the rest...

(No I do NOT ruin movies for people! This is CODE!!! 8-) )
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Tue May 30, 2006 7:53 pm

Aaaarg! I want to see that movie SO BAD!!! I read the book a few years ago, and loved it! Although, you know, the guy who originally released the information about the Priori of Sion (or however it was spelled) has since said that it was all a big hoax, but still.... there are lots of good things in the book, and even if everything in it were false, it would still be a good novel.

I haven't been able to go see the movie yet because I have had rehearsals for the show I am stage managing every night recently, but now that summer is here and I don't have school anymore, I might actually find some time to do something for myself for once......
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Tue May 30, 2006 9:24 pm

Somehow i seem to be the only person that thinks the book is crap 8-)
It's well written, yes, but it's combining of fact and fiction made it only usable for toiletpaper.
/|\

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Tue May 30, 2006 11:34 pm

That's a shame you see the book that way Katsu. Don't get me wrong I don't think it's the pinical of literacy, however, it has succeeded in an area where many others have failed. For instance, I find it a hell of a lot easier talking to people about what I believe, particularly when I can relate it, in some way to this book. I use it merely a foot in the door and go from there, you'd be surprised at how many people who after reading the book are alot more open to other ideals. The whole divine femine is a lovely angle, :lol:
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Wed May 31, 2006 2:49 am

We have the Bishop of Birmingham on the TV.. saying to people of ALL religions to boycott the film...

*BEG got annoyed at the film cause it hurt the book!*

(Btw... Hey :D)
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Wed May 31, 2006 4:25 pm

Librarian wrote:I think he's actually working for the "Code" people. When visiting the site I saw books, articles, petitions, and blogs all denouncing the movie. How could they possibly give the movie any more free advertising?
Well, probably actually. Sony has been exposed recently for paying an academic to make references to the film in one of their published papers.

They're also under suspicion of bribing private individuals for starting "protest" sites on the net petitioning against the film, all for publicity.

Personally speaking, I have to say I absolutely hated the book. Dan Brown is a terrible writer, the plot has more holes in it than my nana's underwear, and it's a blatant mish-mash of prior historical fiction on similar subjects. It also annoys me to see 10 people on every tram reading a copy of it. Can't people choose something to read that isn't on the Borders best selling list? There are so many good books, fiction or non fiction on the history of the templars in medieval times.