Don't mix water with Jo'hos

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Sun May 07, 2006 12:01 pm

If some one comes to you asking for money to buy food, you go buy them bread. Do not give money. You'd be suprised at how often they feel that they are insulted when you don't give them money, hmmm is something up here?

Tagwen, you obviously haven't had the experience that I have had with Jo-ho's. I'm nice to them, I treat them fine, but that fact of the matter is I've just answered the door, after just waking up mind you. The people actually sneered! and they were very rude, as if I should feel priviledged that they had bothered to knock at my door. I admit I was tired and not overly patient, but I was far from rude, and didn't really say much. In the end I told them that I wasn't interested and went to wash my face in an attempt to fully wake up. Lo and behold my trusty pentagrams are dangling from my neck free for the whole world to see.

This initial, for lack of a better world, hatred towards a simple symbol which they obviously misunderstand is appauling. You can not simply write off that they mean good, if their very principals are founded on the negative precepts.

My $0.02 + rise in interest rates, $0.03.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun May 07, 2006 12:18 pm

I had Mormon's come to my door once, it was really strange. I study religion like an entomologist studies a bug. I always want to ask them questions and have them fill out surveys. They re the people who usually wind up saying "Oh look at the time!" And I think it is so cool.

Anyway, when you study religion and someone knocks on your door it is like your research finding you rather than the other way around.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Sun May 07, 2006 12:33 pm

Most of us here have at one stage to a variety of strengths have indeed read up and researched on religion, we wouldn't be here if we hadn't done so. Of course I could always stand at the door asking, "Which century's version of the bible are you referring to?" "I'm sorry but that verse actually reads differently in the Latin context."

The simple fact being is I don't do this because I would feel as though I am lowering myself to their level. Yes at times I admit I have done these sorts of things, when adgitated.

(not trying to sound narky, I get very testy with the very reason they are at my door.)
But the very reason for them being at my door is that they are trying to "save" me, as if my choices have doomed myself. They have made up their mind that my choices, even though they are my choices are simply either not good enough or down right evil. I know this is taking it alittle bit too far, but when your friend and yourself are at a restruant, your don't criticise your friend about making the wrong decision by ordering the chicken. What do you have against chicken?
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun May 07, 2006 10:25 pm

Arcanum Owl wrote: You can not simply write off that they mean good, if their very principals are founded on the negative precepts.
I agree totaly there.

I HATE this, "Oh they are only trying to do good" (See my signature for further evidence).

I am pretty sure, and 90% of historians, and personal aquaintances will tell you Hitler was only "trying to do good", as well. Same with Stalin, Pohl Pott, Magrat Thatcher, (Boy)George Bush, etc, etc.

Does that mean we should even stop ourselves from giving them (Except Thatcher) a swift kick in the nut's? Let alone LISTEN to them.

Tagwen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tagwen » Tue May 09, 2006 2:03 am

I did say they where only trying to do good didn't I. I should have used that phrase with more discretion. I've never actually met someone I considered rude at the doors yet, guess am lucky; however, I never did have a pentagram around my neck. :oops:

Maybe they aren't rude to me since they see a naive guy with open ears who knows.

Ragnar if you actually answer the way you do when someones knocks at your door all look up for your address in a few years...
I might be weak and pathetic, lacking resolve and full of arrogance mistook for confidence. But am walking forward thus I can hold my head high.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue May 09, 2006 2:33 am

Tagwen wrote: Ragnar if you actually answer the way you do when someones knocks at your door all look up for your address in a few years...
:-D If you mean yourself. People from the Library are quite welcome. So long as I have reasonable notice. :roll:

I just do not bother answering the door any more. Luckily we live, as do most Germans, in a 1890 built house, with eight flats in each house. So we have a door message service phone thing. So I just leave that switched off. Every one that may need to visit either has a key, or tells us in advance.

of course, the door answer thing does not help when any soft sod, can ring the door of some one five floors up, say "Adverts" and get let in.

A row I have had with them a lot. How do they know it's adverts, and not some house breaker? #-o

Or are house breakers banned from saying "adverts"?

Also, the answer system only lets them in the main door. But we have some old git up stairs who lets the Joeys and mormons in EVERY time.
Naturally, THEN they come knocking on the internal flat doors.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue May 09, 2006 9:19 am

Okay, back online!

Tagwen: Yes, Cancer can be treated through self-realization and energy and yadda yadda. How many of the people of today are willing to do this? How many want to be told, "You're going through this because _____"?

Energy medicine and metaphysical "therapy" are just one end of the spectrum. Balance is needed. We are not just physical beings. We are not just spiritual beings. All areas of our being need treatment. The metaphysical stuff treats the mental, emotional, and spiritual, which in turn effects the physical (with the exception of Reiki and Brennan-style healing, which also effects the physical quite directly). Western Medicine treats the physical only. If someone has a deadly tumour who will die in 6 weeks if they do not get chemo, you do not send them to a just Reiki practitioner to learn the cause of their disease and how to fix it, which would take weeks, maybe months anyway depending, but send them to Chemo AND Reiki, to help heal them quickly and to actually give them time to learn the nature of their disease and to have it healed FULLY so it will not return.

The days of Shamans in every community are gone, for now, and this is what we are doing to survive without it. Western Medicine and Alternative Medicine go hand in hand. Throw a shrink in there, if needed.

I have nothing more to say on the JWs or on charity drivers. Everyone has the right to slam the door or be rude. I just want to live in my happy-go-lucky world where everyone is nice to one another, and a) not being rude but also b) not going door to door to force money out of people (aka not doing anything that would MAKE people rude)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Earth Daughter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Earth Daughter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:07 pm

I make telemarketers sing for their sales, oddly enough I've never had to buy anything, my mom actually had a guy who asked the boss if he had to though. I wonder if this would work for door to door things as well... *insert evil laugh here*
Blessed be.
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:49 pm

Earth Daughter wrote:I make telemarketers sing for their sales,
Aye. All 652 verses of "hey Jude" is a good one to have them doing, or "250,000 002 green bottles", ...and if you loose count you will start again!"

Or keep a copy of "Ancient and modern, domestic and wild breeding species of the world, with complete cross referencing to sub and sub sub species". Next salesman that comes, "Ah...yes..."You know the song "One man and his dog"? Well, here is your text, please feel free to start in your own time, AND make sure you pronounce the Latin names correctly".

Also works well at "trick or treat". The parents love to know that it can be SO educational for thier little ba****ds. :lol:

Saves a fortune in napalm, and doesn't have the cop's wondering why the kids allways seem to explode on your door step.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:22 pm

ROTFLMAO!!!! That was great Ragnar!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Love like you've never been hurt."