March Fundie of the Month

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:40 am

When I was at school, if I found something difficult, I just had to bloody work harder.
i envy your conviction...i am SOOOO lazy. i never do ANYTHING!!! i always thought of school as a way to dick me in the bum and knock some sense into me and it has...up till now. now, everything's gotten so EASY that it makes me sick!!! now, i have to pull myself out of my procrastination MYSELF!!!!!!
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:04 am

Kelreth wrote:meh dyslexia can be over come as long as the person afflicted with it has half a brain. same with most other mild mental issues.

ragnar can they not actually spell? at all?
The answer to your last sentence is linked with the first.

There are of course people that are useless at spelling. As I am useless at maths. But....... Na O.K, AND spelling, before any one else sais it. :lol:, but with a good teacher, and nights of torn up note books, I actually learned to be able to do algebra and trigonometry, and passed my exams.

When the lentil chewing bead worriers, found this out, they needed a quick excuse to cover their tracks. What they came up with was GRADES of dyslexia. Mild, serious, VERY serious, Polish, and "OH MY GODS FORGET IT HE'S WELSH".

In my school there was no such thing, there were those that could read and write, those that were slower at learning, and the "hard cases". BUT we ALL, without fail, learned to read and write.

Now, they hear "dyslxia" and treat it as an excuse to give up trying.

Aye. If any one is wondering 1963 till 1978, were my schooldays.

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:14 pm

don't you still go to school from time to time though? i could have sworn you did...
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:13 pm

Well, I have just finished six months at Berlitz, on a German "integration course", and I do on occassion give talks on Wiking mythology at the Uni here in Berlin. The chances are I will be going on another course soon.

I WAS going to say not proffessionaly, but I think it would be better to say I do not make my living from it. Although the Uni do pay fees. :-D
Last edited by Ragnar on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:50 am

so you ARE an expert on Vikings!

i thought that was just because you live in Germany...

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:51 pm

Artemisblessed wrote:so you ARE an expert on Vikings!
I don't know about "expert". But it is one of the things I got a degree in.

The other was "modern German history" Napoleonic to World war II.

Well, Germany was noted more for Saxons than Wikings. Most of them went further East, in what today is Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia. Using the rivers to get to Kiew. But the earlier Scandinavians settled around here, and Westward to Denmark.

They became Saxons. Then later Karl Gustav X, invaded as far as Berlin. The North East of Germany staying Swedish (Swedish Pommerania), until Mid to late 17 hundreds.

Thats why I get annoyed at these people that like to point out, when talking about the destruction of our culture by immigration, "Oh well we are all so mixed we are probably arab as well".

NO WE ARE BLOODY NOT!! ALL the invasions in the past went North to South. The only "culture that came the other way was christianity (and look what THAT did to us!), and that was not an invasion of people, but of an idea or philosophy.

All the attempted invasions from the South and East were stopped before they reached North of the Rhein or West of the old Eastern Brandenburg border (The Far East of OLD Brandenburg is Poland today. West Brandenburg is still here.)

I am NOT counting stone age man in the above. Because they were wanderers not settlers, and they carried no cultural threat.

There ends todays history lesson.

Read Gwyn Jones "The Vikings" for home work. There will ba a test Monday. :-D

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:22 pm

test? but we know so little.

MORE :lol:
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:04 pm

Can't remember who said it, but the Japanese may have words for I, and You, but they don't use them. As I said, You're expected to figure out who they're talking about through context. It's irritating. I asked my Japanese teacher why the Japanese have these words if they don't use them? My teachers answer, "The Japanese are exceptionally lazy language speakers, in fact, that's how you can tell the gaijin (foreigners) even if they are ethnically Japanese".

#-o

Secondly, the Saxons were a wonderful people. I don't know very much about them true, but I do know that they were considered warlike, although they were actually just aggressively looking for arable farm land. Because of this expansionist attitude, they brought new culture into most European cultures, generally whether they wanted it or not.
;)

Oh, Ragnar, as I said, I don't know much for certain. If I've got it wrong, please, let me know. I wouldn't want to be spreading wrong information.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:43 pm

Kitsune wrote: Secondly, the Saxons were a wonderful people. I don't know very much about them true, but I do know that they were considered warlike, although they were actually just aggressively looking for arable farm land. Because of this expansionist attitude, they brought new culture into most European cultures, generally whether they wanted it or not.
No more war like than ANY tribe had to be to survive at the time. Their main competitors were Angles, Jutes, and Wikings. So...
"aggressively looking for arable farm land"
I LOVE that. I may even use it else where, if I may? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am just imagining all sorts now. Like "agressively looking for chicken wings in Walmart". "Agresively seeking Susan". :lol:

As to bringing "new culture". The peoples of the lands they were moving into, were so similar, that the only thing that really changed was a bit of vocabulary.
Oh, Ragnar, as I said, I don't know much for certain. If I've got it wrong, please, let me know. I wouldn't want to be spreading wrong information.

No, not wrong at all.

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:02 am

Their main competitors were Angles, Jutes, and Wikings
but didn't the Saxons and the Angles become one tribe to form the Anglo-Saxons, and in fact, become the founders of the english language?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:19 am

Aye. But we are talking from 400CE to about 750CE. A lot can happen in that time. Plus, what happens far from home, is different to when it is your own fields you are protecting.

I.e, uniting against the common enemy. In this case Angles, Saxons and Jutes against Britans and Picts.

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:23 am

did the Britons take over?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:44 am

Ahh, of course BritOns. My typing get's worse.

No, the Britons were smashed to small pieces by the good guys. :-D

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:56 am

then how did the country come to be called "great Britain" and all it's people called "Britons"?

uberpi comeback centuries later? ;) :roll:

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:54 pm

They are not called Britons. They are British.

The name probably comes from the French, or Norman for the Islands, Bretagne.

Remember "Britain" as such, has only existed since 1707CE. (YES! Less than a hundred years older than the U.S.A!!), when Scotland was stolen by the English, as "their own property", rather than existing as two countrys in a "Union".

But the Islands were also know as "Britannia" to the Romans. But only because the Bretons, from France, had fled to Britain to escape the Roman invasion. Britannia superior ("Great" Britain) and Britannia inferior (Bretagne, or Bretonny, in todays France).
uberpi comeback centuries later?
What? :-?