March Fundie of the Month

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:11 am

in the states, we do have the phrase "piss drunk"...
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:12 am

I think the English language is weird, i pity people who have to learn it.

More than one mouse is mice
More than one house is houses
more than one goose is geese
more than one moose is mooses
more than one sheep is sheep
more than one jeep is jeeps

And that is just the beginning, words like bear, bare, sail, sale, pair, pear and pare. holy moly.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:02 am

Japanese and Chinese are more difficult, I think, only because they have 3 different alphabets, all of which supposedly mesh together, they can have 4 different meanings for 1 word, all of which are spelled the same, and you are supposed to divine the meaning through "context" - a German word, I believe, that means "You're screwed!"

#-o
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:02 am

moly???

Animals seem to be the worst, especialy once cooked;

Sheep > mutton
pig > pork
cow > beef
dog > kebab
donkey > Big Mac.
etc.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:15 am

donkey > Big Mac.
*snickers*
more than one moose is mooses
We like to call them meese instead of moose for fun. I am watching my niece wrap her head around our crazy language, and although it is great fun, I can imagine how frusterating is it. "I fall down, auntie." "Yes, you fell!" Learning who, he/she, plurals (although she is great at plurals)...
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:23 am

That's another thing Japanese is missing. I, You, Me... Another thing you're supposed to figure out though "context".... #-o

Don't you sometimes wish languages were easier?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:36 am

"Watashi" and "boku" are both I/me depending on context in Japanese, and "boku" only if you're male. "Anata" is you. I have used all those phrases a thousand times or more in my learning of Japanese, but I guess when its your milk tongue you learn the short cuts easier.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:57 pm

Ragnar, you forgot one

Raccoon=hot dog

Holy Moly is just an expression, I more old mannish way of saying holy crap.

Another language that is tricky is wolof (from Senegal area) I believe there are a few clicking sounds that you can't make unless you were brought up with the language.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Kitsune wrote:
Well, there is a row going on in Germany because of just that.

A couple of years back the German government decided to have a report into why the school kid's were so thick.

This report found that the main problem was with the spelling and sentence structure.

So, the Government, obviously being the same type of idiot the report was meant to investigate, decided to have a "Rechtsschreibreform"(Spelling reforms). #-o

Now as I see it, if you have a load of lazy :censored::censored: bast**ds that can't be bothered to learn, the answer is not to lower the standards for them. :smt097

In fact they should be flogged until they bleed and/or wake up and start learning. There is no bloody excuse for it. Shower of sub human :censored::censored::censored::censored: :smt093 :gib: :smt021

Now, we have the ridiculous situation of Government workers of all levels,
including teachers, having to sit there when writting reports etc, like imbicilic school kids, going through a dictionary for nearly every word. :censored: :censored:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:56 am

Ragnar,
I am getting the feeling you have some strong emotions/opinions on this issue ;)

I could be wrong though
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:14 am

Ragnar wrote:
Kitsune wrote:
Well, there is a row going on in Germany because of just that.

A couple of years back the German government decided to have a report into why the school kid's were so thick.

This report found that the main problem was with the spelling and sentence structure.

So, the Government, obviously being the same type of idiot the report was meant to investigate, decided to have a "Rechtsschreibreform"(Spelling reforms). #-o

Now as I see it, if you have a load of lazy :censored::censored: bast**ds that can't be bothered to learn, the answer is not to lower the standards for them. :smt097

In fact they should be flogged until they bleed and/or wake up and start learning. There is no bloody excuse for it. Shower of sub human :censored::censored::censored::censored: :smt093 :gib: :smt021

Now, we have the ridiculous situation of Government workers of all levels,
including teachers, having to sit there when writting reports etc, like imbicilic school kids, going through a dictionary for nearly every word. :censored: :censored:
I agree with you 100% ragnar, same problem here. But most people refuse to admit there is one. Because that makes there "perfect straight a little baby" not so perfect. Not all students in the US are thick, but a growing % are.

Im a fan of the "the beatings will continue until moral improves." but slightly modifeid too. "The beatings will continue until you all pull your heads our of your arse and decide to learn something so you are a worthless bit of society." slightly longer, but more fun.

Its called "No Child Left Behind" and guess what, a lot of school at leat 30% fail the "No Child Left Behind" and thus loss federal funding. Now how is loss of federal funding going to make things better? Its not, add in the fact that the current goverment doesnt like the idea of education everyone, and the US is soon to be run by a large group of dimwitted self pleasing :censored:

:sad11:
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:22 am

isn't it already?
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:29 am

yes, but i have a feeling that it will only get worse with the coming generations lack of self discipline. well at the least people where i grew up make me wonder. some of them got what ever they wanted when ever they wanted.so they dont understand the idea of trying for something. i cant really phrase it too well, my head starts running and everything turns into chaos.
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:31 am

Willow wrote:Ragnar,
I am getting the feeling you have some strong emotions/opinions on this issue ;)
Me?. Whatever gave you that idea? :roll:

Realy it is because this is only one thing of many. In U.K and here, they have done the same with maths, biology, physics, history, and geography.

When I was at school, if I found something difficult, I just had to bloody work harder. I did NOT get some wierd pinkoe, sandal wearing, lentil chewer of a supposed teacher coming around and saying, "Ah O.K, it is hard isn't it. Well don't you bother, because you tried we will give you an"A", even though you can't spell "the".

So what was the point of that? NOW, I go places and wave my degree at them, they say "So what" and show me the list of the other half million degree holders that have applied.

Because of this lowering of standards, the degree is so prevelant, that it is looked at as of no more worth than a basic 6th grade leaving certificate.
Not ONE worth the paper they are written on, because from their first day at school, they have only had to get half the grades I had to, to end up with the same thing.

So now, because of the Governments pandering and surrenderig to the tacticts of this lazy shower of imbicilic bastards, my paper work means nothing.

When I went to school, it was unknown for any one not to be able to read and write. NOW they just don't bother turning up for half the classes. When exams come they yell dyxylilias, and get the grade any way.

This "dyslexia" is the biggest load of utter bollocks I have ever heard. Why has it only appeared since the 70's? Because the kids are lazy bastards, the teachers the same, and add bloody useless. So what do they do? To give themselves both an excuse for cretinous results, they a) lower the percentage you need to get a pass, and they invent dyslexia.

:smt093 :smt013 :cussing: :smt097 :blob6: :smt093 :smt013 :cussing: :smt097 :blob6: :smt093 :smt013 :cussing: :smt097 :blob6:

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:34 am

meh dyslexia can be over come as long as the person afflicted with it has half a brain. same with most other mild mental issues.

ragnar can they not actually spell? at all?