The Trading Spouses TV show on the FOX network

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:04 am

I showed it to my friends while in Vancouver.
They were traumatized. One is in school to be a director, and we watch the goriest movies with the craziest people. Have any of you seen Frailty? It is about a lunatic killing people he believes are demons.

What's so horrible about this is that it is real.
However, when I watch it, I do what I always do with something just so utterly stupid. I laugh. Better than flicking the computer screen to teach her a lesson. :roll:
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:17 am

Yes that was horribly disturbing. I feel sorry for both families for having to put up with her for any amount of time.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:38 pm

AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!! This is driving me MAD!!

I cant't bloody see it! There was one on the German version (Frauentausch), where a family was "Goth", and the woman was, what passes for a "fundy" here. That was quite fun.

But this sounds like a good "sociological study" piece. :evil:

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:51 pm

O you could do a good long study on that clip. The whole episode could prolly fuel some ones Ph.D. thesis paper
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:56 am

For anyone who's interested in this little piece of work, you can apparently see her again...

She's on the same show again... This time pairing her up with a black family (uncertain if there are religious differences this time or not). Hilarity insues (or at least, that's whats supposed to happen, I assume :-D :roll: ).

Anyways, I'll try to find a link for it tonight, when I'm not at work... :-? I can't believe they'd let her "try again"... If I had my way, she wouldn't have been able to touch the first prize with a 10-foot pole (although, to make it fair, her family still would have gotten the donations and "stuff" that they deserved.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:21 pm

I've just watched the clip, I'm shocked, Anyway if you noticed at the end the Pagan family gave to other family the money, right and 20thousand was given to the fat fundie woman, for a gastric bypass, well In the Name of Jesus Christ our Savior she took it. What a Load of BS, How dare her, be so uppity on her Christian values and then Well I'll take it but only cause I'm fat and I want to loose the weight.

I'm mad as hell on that one alone. The whole of it is enough to Make me sick. Honestly even if I disagreed with their religius values, If I had an issue with the money, well then shoot me in the head seriously, I wouldn't turn down 50 Grand not when I have bills to pay,

Anyway I'd be interested to see what she does with a black family, She will end up going psycho on them cause they have a picture of Jesus as a black man or something.

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Not certian, Sagewolf...

I do know that he tells her off and lets her know if no uncertain terms that in his house, he is in charge and that she is not to yell at him for anymore... :lol: I'm going to have fun looking it up. Even if I DON'T have fun watching the F%**#@ing Woman get her panties in a bunch again....

Oh, and in case somebody actually cares... I don't think she's even bothered trying to loose weight. She was still huge in the 2 min preview I saw.... :evil:

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:54 am

Then what did she do with the 20thousand she took for a gastric bypass? IF she took the money for a spefic purpose then she should have used it for THAT spefic purpose. What a lying B***H.

Good for the black guy telling him off thats funny and she deserves it.

So here's a kinda off topic question, Are there any african americans here at the Pagan Library? And does anyone know any Black people who are pagans?

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:46 pm

I don't think so....
I think "pagan" African Americans, would be those who follow traditional religions from wherever they are from (anything from tribal beliefs to voodoo to Christian Synchretism).
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:38 pm

Actually, there was an African American guy who lived in my apartment complex who was Wiccan. As far as on the board, not so far that I've seen.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:00 am

Ah, the God Warrior. She's frightening. She makes the bile rise at the back of my throat. Horrible woman. However, the episode was apparently so entertaining that they showed it twice here. If anyone was ever possessed in the history of the world, she would be at the top of the list. Scary woman. Poor family, they looked so mortified.

Was it Maya Angelou who went back to Africa because she dreamed of getting in touch with her African roots all her life... and hated it? Someone did... I forget who it was though. Many Black people (oy, we don't have many black people here, I'm not sure how to phrase it without being politically incorrect or otherwise offensive #-o ) might be drawn to their indigenous paths, but others might well be into Wicca or other branches of Paganism. Here there are far more Pacific Islanders and Maori, most of whom seem to be Christian. They're still really into their indigenous myths, though, so there might well be a good number of them who honour their old gods. My family has Celtic roots, apparently, but the Celtic path is not one I'm strongly drawn to, and I don't work with many Celtic deities. Maybe I'm pulled more by the other side of my family or something. I unno... it takes all sorts, eh?
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:23 am

So (and I know it's a STUPID question) what do they call Black people in England? In American we call them Africian American, But if they were born in England they are not American. Just curious.

I have a few friends that are black, We've just settled on calling them Black, they don't get offended when we don't say African American, in fact they think it's kinda stupid. But they do get offended if you call them the N word, which I don't say anyway. But I have asked one of my friends if they call it N rigging like some whites do or do they call it Jerry rigging, He laughed and said that they call it the first.

ANyway Just curious about what other parts of the world call them. I'd be interested in seeing the difference in beliefs in Black pagans compared to ours. Do they do more tribal voodoo From Africa?

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:43 am

We just call black people 'black people'. My uncle is black, he was born here but his parents are Jamaican and he says he's not Jamaican and he's not African, he's British and it annoys him when people try and be too politically correct by bringing in the fact that once upon a time his ancestors came from Africa.

I think the African American thing is uniquely American. You will never find African Englishmen or African Irishmen...in this part of the world, you're either one or the other. The reasoning is that you can't be born in two places at once, can you?
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:19 am

I totally agree, Now my question on this is this, Back before the Civil war, I know Americans weren't the only one to have slaves, In England and Wales as well, you kept slaves as well didn't you? Not you but your ancestors, Now how is it that here in the US Black people are still angry with us and we didn't even do it. I am wondering how Black people in other countries act reguading the same situation as it is here in America.
I'm sorry that I had ancestors who "owned" slaves But it wasn't me, if I had been born (and I probally was) I would have been the type of person to set them free, and help with the underground rrailroad.

I know it might make me unpopular but I have to say how I feel.

I feel that Black people here in America feel that we owe them for the years of Slavery that now is no longer in existance. I understand that they have been treated wrongly and I understand that they still are but I don't do it. I treat them with the same respect I do white people, if they earn it. I don't look at them like OMG"s a black person lock the doors, and stay together.

There was a radio guy who got fired for racial remarks on the radio, has anyone listened to what he said? He had a teen basketball team in his studio and they were all Black girls, they were going around calling the team members N this and N that. He asked them, in a serious voice why do you call each other N and when we as white people say it your offended? And they fired him, I understand it was a racial remark, but In all honesty I would ahve asked the same question,

If we as americans are trying to make it were EVERYONE is equal Blacks White Chinese everyone, then why is it that the blacks are seeming to make it where they won't allow ANYONE to forget who and what they are and have been?

I hope I'm making sense and not making anyone mad, it's jsut something thats been on my mind for awhile and I thought I'd share.

I'm in no way predjucice. I've been friend with several different races and I will do so again if I can. But it's just stuff I have wondered about.

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:43 pm

As far as I know, Britain was involved in the slave trade by shipping them around...but there weren't that many slaves actually in Britain compared with slavery in America. Mass immigration of black people to Britain only occurred in the 1950s and 1960s after the second World War when we had so many jobs to fill.

It was very, very rare to see a black person in Seventeenth century Britain and when you did they were seen as exotic servants, but not as slaves. In the Seventeenth century, much of America and the Caribbean were still part of the British Empire and people were still emigrating out there to take advantage of the new land being opened up (and causing problems for the Native Americans in the process), the black people being brought to America and the Caribbean were being brought over for the British landowners who had emigrated. Because there wasn't actual slavery on British soil, we've never had the same situation as in America, like I said, it was only after the second World War that Britain saw mass immigration from all over the Commonwealth.
SageWolf wrote:I feel that Black people here in America feel that we owe them for the years of Slavery that now is no longer in existance. I understand that they have been treated wrongly and I understand that they still are but I don't do it. I treat them with the same respect I do white people, if they earn it. I don't look at them like OMG's a black person lock the doors, and stay together.
I think this is a similar situation to the gay/lesbian rights issue, and the women's rights issue. Straight people think that everything's fine and dandy, that we're all equal now and everyone has the same opportunities, but if you ask a gay man whether his rights are the same as a straight man's he will probably say no. Likewise, if you ask an average man if men and women are equal in the workplace, he will probably say yes, whereas if you ask one of his female colleagues, she will probably say no. The people who have the better deal will generally think things are ok, whereas the people who have the short end of the stick can't see past the shortfalls.

We've worked very hard to put the discrimination behind us, but the job's not done yet and probably won't get completely done for a while. The facts show us that women get paid less than men for the same job, that a white kid has a better chance of getting into university than a black kid and a straight couple get a better room at a hotel than a gay couple. We've still got to work on these things and we are doing...but people are still going to complain about how slowly things are changing around. That's all it is. You can be as nice as you like, but it's no fun being discriminated against, day after day (as most Pagans will agree - we're not exactly welcome in a lot of places). After a while you're going to have to let of steam, and most of us do that by grumbling and demonstrating.

As for the N***** remarks by that radio guy, I think he was seriously wrong. There are things you call your friends and your friends call you, that you would never allow other people to call you. I have friends who call each other 'slut' affectionately, but if anyone else tried it there'd be hell to pay :lol: Black people in Britain use the N word with each other because they're reclaiming it, they're disarming it amongst each other...but when people from outside their group use it, it's usually said with offensive intent. Words and names have immeasurable power and the N word still carries a lot of weight and power.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men