What does the pagan think of Heaven??

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
a Silly Ol' Fundy
Level 1
Level 1

What does the pagan think of Heaven??

Post by a Silly Ol' Fundy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:48 am

Curiosity
Those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:45 am

IMHO:

Heaven doesn't really exist. (but then, neither does Hell) Heaven, the cosmic "Happy Place" where all good little mortals are rewarded until the end of time, is not the afterlife I believe in.

See, I believe very strongly in reincarnation, which cancels out the belief in Heaven.

I believe that when we die, we go before the Creator and they ask us what we have learned. Based on what we've learned, our next lives are decided. (What, where) The soul rests in the Summerlands (For lack of a better term) until the Divine Creator is ready to send them to their next life. Of course, if someone reaches a point where they no longer need to learn the lessons of life, they Ascend, (for lack of a better term) and become a Spiritual Guardian or possibly a Spirit Guide (if they always felt more comfortable in their Spirit Animal Form)
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:03 am

Nil.

I don't believe in heaven. I believe glimpses of heaven as a final resting place were misunderstood glimpses of the Other Realms to which we go when we die before we are reincarnated where we talk with our Guides and arrange the next incarnation again and again until we possible become Guides and eventually once our spiritual lives have been tapped for all they are worth - learned every lesson, felt every thing - we are once again part of Great Spirit, because when you reach that state you know without doubt your oneness and feel everything. Sounds like Samadhi I know, but I think Samadhi is a very very small-scale awakening that is possible in this realm.

However I do believe in angels, which Xianity tells us live in Heaven. They are in that realm that we go back to when we die, as are Guides. There are so many realities, so many dimensions as Quantum Physics nearly proves (a heck of a lot better than the bible) that I see the existence of a single heaven that we all go to an unfathomable ideal. That realm that I said we all go to I believe permeates all things, and vibrates at a higher frequency than this realm and perhaps others.

These are my beliefs, anyway. I cannot speak for all Pagans.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Chelle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chelle » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:54 am

I believe very strongly in reincarnation
Ditto... i think when we have done all we can do as mortals, we become guardians for others. :-)
Be what you are and not what other people want you to be!!! xxxx

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:20 pm

ditto again,
i think we go some were to think about what is learned then when we are ready we start a new life.
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:20 pm

Personally,
I am not sure, nor do I really think it matters.
I used to really need the idea of a heaven but I would always question it, what would I do all day, would I get bored? I was answered being told that God is so infinite that I would never get bored.
Over time I began to realize that this was kind of selfish of me, to want to go to heaven (save me, redeem me, cause me no pain!). I thought about it a lot, I get more comfort knowing that when I die, my body will go into the ground and bring forward new life. Any energy I have will go back into creating new life. So no matter what there will always be a part of me somewhere because matter cannot be created or destroyed, only changed.
If there is a heaven, whatever, but if not, that is OK too, I try not to be so selfish as to think of only myself.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:19 pm

I believe there is a heaven, in the christian sense, but I also believe it is merely one of many many many other realms, planes, dimensions etc. I believe that the Christian God does have dominion over Heaven, and that that plane (and its God) have strong connections to this one, but I don't believe that that is the only plane, or the only Deity, that has connections to this place. Therefore, while I do believe in God, and I do respect Him for his devine clout, I choose not to worship Him.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:45 pm

Ditto what Kystar said, though there are some days when I'll just say I honestly don't know, cuz really, nobody really knows anything for certain. :-)
"Love like you've never been hurt."

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:45 pm

Kystar wrote:IMHO:

Heaven doesn't really exist. (but then, neither does Hell) Heaven, the cosmic "Happy Place" where all good little mortals are rewarded until the end of time, is not the afterlife I believe in.

See, I believe very strongly in reincarnation, which cancels out the belief in Heaven.

I believe that when we die, we go before the Creator and they ask us what we have learned. Based on what we've learned, our next lives are decided. (What, where) The soul rests in the Summerlands (For lack of a better term) until the Divine Creator is ready to send them to their next life. Of course, if someone reaches a point where they no longer need to learn the lessons of life, they Ascend, (for lack of a better term) and become a Spiritual Guardian or possibly a Spirit Guide (if they always felt more comfortable in their Spirit Animal Form)

I really don't know that I could put it any better than Kystar has.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:29 pm

Thanks for all the compliments!

I'm kind of flattered that so many find my ramblings to be a nice description of the afterlife.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:15 pm

It depends on what you mean by "heaven". If you mean the christian concept of heaven, then the answer is no:

The christian belief of heaven as a reward, and hell as a punishment has its roots in the (mistaken) perception that time is linear.
To us humans time "appears" linear, but in fact it is just another dimension, and the divine is not bound by the fact that time appears linear to us.

The past, the present and the future are all the same thing, and are all happening right now, have all already happened, and are all yet to happen.
In those conditions, the idea of heaven as a reward and of hell as a punishment just does not make sense.

Connected with that (mistaken) perception is also the christian belief that the world had a beginning and will have an end.
On the contrary: Everything is circular, and the end and the beginning are the same thing.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:30 pm

I have found the notion of "heaven" and "hell" to be amusing. No i do not believe that there is a "heaven" as christianity describes. I do not know what i beleive, but I do know that we do continue after death. I have yet to discover where though.

The biggest thing that makes be beleive there is no heaven is part of revelations the only part of the bible i bothered to read before i choose this path. only like 11,000 people make it, i read that and was like well thats no fun. and it contridicts everythings i had learned there.
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:21 pm

Kelreth wrote: I do not know what i believe, but I do know that we do continue after death. I have yet to discover where though.
Doesn't matter where it is, it's safe to say Mc Donkeys, Unlucky fried kitten, and coca cola are already WELL established.

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:14 am

St Peter: Welcome to heaven. Would you like fries with that?
(chuckle)

I don't trully think there is such a thing as heaven. The christian ideal of a place which is pure, noble and good can't surely contain mere human beings.

Angels I do believe in, though this high ideal that they a pure, noble and good is also clearly wrong. Angels do get mad, and let me tell you, there ain't nothing noble about them when they reach that level, ie. revenge/retribution same thing different spelling. Infact they are very similar to the Goetia, if you don't know who they are I'm not going to tell you, and anyone who does knows exactly why.

As whole I think we are here to do is learn one specified thing. If we learn it, great! we go on to the next "thing" to learn. If we don't we try again, or degress to the previous lesson in hopes that we understand the next better. What happens when we learn all one can learn? :lol: Don't be silly, infinite universes of infinite space, time and dimensions why would we stop. If we did I'm sure Everything will make up something else to learn.

Next stop Xen'era Slius, where ever, when ever, who ever, why ever, etc that is.
8-)
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:26 am

Ragnar wrote: Doesn't matter where it is, it's safe to say Mc Donkeys, Unlucky fried kitten, and coca cola are already WELL established.
Surely that's HELL you are describing.

In HEAVEN they serve delicious Thai Curries with Jasmine Rice, and Kasseler with Sauerkraut, ....and.....and....,and good Beer and Wine...........
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'