NARNIA. christian propoganda opportunity.

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.

Could we get this banned from shops by complaining?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:17 pm

NO
36%
HA Ha HA. Are you "ON" something?
64%

Total votes: 11

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:17 am

i feel you...

hey has anyone here seen "Dogma"?

just kidding, Ragnar... :-D :-D :-D

:^o :^o :^o
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Chelle
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chelle » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:05 pm

Just thought that i had to go back to the LOTR thing. Legolas does it for me! :-D Or is it just Orlando Bloom.

Dogma is a fab film i LMAO when i saw that. Never seen passion though. Doesn't really interest me.

Just got back from the cinema now, went to see King Kong... absolutely brill and i cried like a little girl!!! :-(

Sorry to go off the subject there but i thought that I would just share that piece of info :lol:
Be what you are and not what other people want you to be!!! xxxx

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:34 pm

Sorry Ragnar,
Did you hear about that Mel Gibson movie the passion of the Christ? It was blatantly catholic (and from a catholic who thinks Vatican II was the worst thing to happen to Catholicism). Anyway, Christians were buying up tickets and giving them out to "needy" people for free.
Reminded me f the Chronicles of Narnia
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

gwmRNpozSC
Level 1
Level 1

Viggo?

Post by gwmRNpozSC » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Kystar wrote:You know, I didn't even know who that was until I googled him? :oops:

Aragorn...YUMMY! ;)
DITTO!

But I DID "google" him, and what I saw/found was this!!!!!

http://www.efavata.com/CBM/images/histo ... viggo1.jpg
morgana wrote:Yeah, he was the main reason I paid attention when I did. Definitely hot. ;)
Eh! It's Morgana's "fault" that I "googled" him! I couldn't resist after reading that!

Definitely a :heart: throb!
RoBeRt., the OfFiCiAl ReGiStErEd Nut.
Loris, South Carolina, USA.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:28 pm

GWM, you just helped me figure out why I never in my short life have found Viggo hot, and actually a little, erm, grotesque.

He completely looks like my dad in that picture. *shudders*
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

gwmRNpozSC
Level 1
Level 1

Oh, dear!

Post by gwmRNpozSC » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:38 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:

GWM, you just helped me figure out why I never in my short life have found Viggo hot, and actually a little, erm, grotesque.

He completely looks like my dad in that picture. *shudders*
Oh, dear! Well, I guess I'm glad I "helped" you "figure out why," but I'm truly sorry that you had to have such a remembrance!
RoBeRt., the OfFiCiAl ReGiStErEd Nut.
Loris, South Carolina, USA.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:35 pm

Willow wrote: Did you hear about that Mel Gibson movie the passion of the Christ? It was blatantly catholic (and from a catholic who thinks Vatican II was the worst thing to happen to Catholicism). Anyway, Christians were buying up tickets and giving them out to "needy" people for free.
Aye I reccognise the full title. I was half asleep. Sorry. I must write 100 times "Read posts AFTER coffee".

However. Last I heard was that the christians were almost rioting on the streets, (I was going to say "revolting" but we all know that.) because the film was "blasphempy" ? :smt017

Or was this a case of the U.K christians getting it wrong again?

:oops: "Sorry Wrong riot!" :oops:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:07 pm

I don't know,
about 8 churches in my area bought up tickets and gave them away. I am not sure about other areas, and I remember a bit of stuff on the news about it. I do remembers some people complaining about Mel Gibson and his artistic choices. Whatever, anyway it was a definitely Christian movie and I just laughed when people argued about inaccuracies, he uses the catholic passion, some disagree with that. I think it comes back to my problems of my Protestant friends disliking Catholicism. Oh well. But that is interesting how public the rioting got in the UK.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:59 pm

Well, there were no actual riots. But protests outside cinemas, letter writing campaigns, trying to get it banned from video stores and all that.

Strange. :-k

Kelreth
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Kelreth » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:31 pm

No Riots?!?! wheres the fun in that....

:smt014 :smt021 :smt075
i am prone to free association. Basically whatever i think i type, so sorry if things get really erratic...

melina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by melina » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:14 pm

Well first off, I saw it last weekend and was not impressed. I loved the books (I don't mind the Christian message, I actually enjoy picking out the biblical references) and I grew up with them. I had loved the cartoon version when I was little, and the movie was pale in comparison to the books or the cartoon. Yeah, the graphics were good, but the acting sucked and it just can't be as powerful as your imagination (is that corny?)

I think it says a lot about the Pagan community that we can enjoy a book for it aesthetic attributes even though it preaches a religious message that contradicts our beliefs. I think that the Christians who get up in arms over books that they deem "Satanic" are the ones who are actually unsure about their faith deep inside. If you're comfortable enough in you own beliefs, you shouldn't be bothered by the beliefs of other people. That's not exactly how I want to say it, but the words don't seem to be coming to me, like always :-D
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!-

Isaiah 5:20

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:38 am

melina wrote: (is that corny?)

I think it says a lot about the Pagan community that we can enjoy a book for it aesthetic attributes even though it preaches a religious message that contradicts our beliefs. I think that the Christians who get up in arms over books that they deem "Satanic" are the ones who are actually unsure about their faith deep inside. If you're comfortable enough in you own beliefs, you shouldn't be bothered by the beliefs of other people. That's not exactly how I want to say it, but the words don't seem to be coming to me, like always :-D
"is that corny?" Not as much as a "patriotic" speech from Bushy babes. :lol:

Second bit. I TOTALY agree. A religion must be on extreemly thin ice, to have to invent "sin", "Hell", and steal "Satan" from the Summarians (?), to control the audience. :-?

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:14 am

all this talk about Christian symbols reminded me about this book i read called "The Light of Eidon" by Karen Hancock.

anyone read it?

it was pretty good. i, like melina, had lots o' fun picking out Christian messages in it. it was about this guy who tried to find "Eidon", like God, and went into something like a priesthood but didn't find him for 8 years. it was pretty cool. then there was this religion called Terstan that was thought evil, and the practicers had a small golden shield magically fused to their chest above their heart. it's awesome, must read it again...

rambling over. :oops: :oops: :^o
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:22 am

Artemisblessed.

Pretty sure I have heard of, and even seen the book. In fact now I come to think of it, I am not entirely sure if I have not read it. :-?

So many good books I have read over the time they all get mixed up.

I will try and find a copy though.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:31 pm

I'm a regular reader of this webcomic called shortpacked. The artist recently had something to say about Narnia.

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20051212.html

By the way, I absolutely loved the movie. I kind of remember reading these books when I was a kid and seeing it in live action on the big screen was pretty cool.

Yes, the Christian mythos is present. But it takes a sideline to the story, just as it should. Wow, great casting. Wow on the effects. They're not quite up to par with LOTR, but it was still pretty darn good.

I hope people aren't avoiding this movie because it's popular with the Christian sect. It's a good movie. And filled with all kinds of nice, little pagany tidbits. Deep Magic Indeed.

Blessed Be.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake