Same Old Argument

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:29 am

socialgreen wrote:What? No response? I believe time is better spent not trying to ague with the Fundies. I mean we are not trying to convert them but they us. Usually, people, like my self, end up leaving anyways. New people always show up with bigger donations and better tithe giving. :roll:
Well I was out of town. Ya know sometimes I actually partake of real life and not just the internet.....but only sometimes. ;)

I was actually referring to the original quote posted by Brown-Eyed Girl. I realize that not all Xtians think like the crazed individual she was referring to.

I had forgotten about that passage in Romans. I was actually thinking of the Mosaic Law laid out in the OT. It is VERY specific about sexual law, very nit-picky, very detailed, and yet it does not mention anything against women engaging in sexual activity together. My thought is that it had something to do with polygamy. Can you imagine a man having more than one legal wife and only using one at a time? Isn't a threesome like every heterosexual man's fantasy? Anyway.....I am really digressing from the original topic.
Come to the Dark Side.....
We have cookies! :)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:25 pm

[quote="dragonflydrummer"]

I don't think there's much hope for her to confront those fears until she puts that freakin' book down. But hey, what do I know??? /quote]

If you REALLY want to scare her why don't you suggest to her that "Katrina" struck because Osama-bin-whatshisname-and-his-band-of merry-men were praying to their God (which is also the christian God) to inflict pain on the christians....

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:31 pm

2Crunchy wrote:It is VERY specific about sexual law, very nit-picky, very detailed, and yet it does not mention anything against women engaging in sexual activity together. My thought is that it had something to do with polygamy.
I had always assumed that the idea of a woman actually enjoying sex (any sort of sex) had never even entered their mind.....

Blessings
RainForestMoon

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:48 pm

Rain ForestMoon wrote (about the Xtian woman at my workplace):
If you REALLY want to scare her why don't you suggest to her that "Katrina" struck because Osama-bin-whatshisname-and-his-band-of merry-men were praying to their God (which is also the christian God) to inflict pain on the christians....
Yes the moslem fundamentalists are just as bad aren't they? NO I don't want to scare her any further than she already is. I wish that she would confront what is frightening her and be more at peace. I think of all the generations that have sought a kind of ready-made solace in that book, and it makes me sad. How much more could have been accomplished if more people had just had the courage to live their own lives...?? :roll:

(although I must admit I have muttered under my breath around some xtians that the storm was their god's vengeance for supporting Bush.) :lol:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

socialgreen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by socialgreen » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:05 am

2Chrunchy wrote:
I was actually referring to the original quote posted by Brown-Eyed Girl. I realize that not all Xtians think like the crazed individual she was referring to.

I had forgotten about that passage in Romans. I was actually thinking of the Mosaic Law laid out in the OT. It is VERY specific about sexual law, very nit-picky, very detailed, and yet it does not mention anything against women engaging in sexual activity together. My thought is that it had something to do with polygamy. Can you imagine a man having more than one legal wife and only using one at a time? Isn't a threesome like every heterosexual man's fantasy? Anyway.....I am really digressing from the original topic.
Yeah I am not always on the net either and get busy me self. Not all Xians are Fundies which is good. I agree that the OT does not mention women in sexual activity together. I have to agree that three would be company in OT times when polygamy was in practice. I don't recall anywhere that it said it was a no no [-X [-X [-X
social
If more of us valued food and cheer and song
above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:21 pm

So -- would you say that the Judeo-Xtian tabu against homosexuality applies only to men?? :-?
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:48 pm

Yeah. But somewhere along the way lesbians got lumped in with homosexual men. Afterall, we can't actually enjoy sex. It is for procreative purposes ONLY! [-X

socialgreen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by socialgreen » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:22 am

dragonflydrummer wrote:
So -- would you say that the Judeo-Xtian tabu against homosexuality applies only to men??
No...simply because of the passage in Romans. At one time in America, in my opinion, I believe most people did not think of women engaging in that act but I could be wrong. It was not until the 1970 when Protestant Xtianity became political. I remember a lot of books coming out against Satanism or fortelling the Rapture and/or a few other issues and the call to get politically active.

What 2Crunchy noted was that the O.T. had no mention of women with women as a sinful act simply because a man could have more than one wife. Of course, that did make problems since the man would show favoritism.

Paul introduced Xianity to the world with his additude of women being inferior and more capable of leading men into sinfulness. This is when women were lumped together with men when it came to homosexuality. After Xianity got organized then the role of women was reduced to procreation purposes and their role in society became inferior.
social
If more of us valued food and cheer and song
above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:30 am

Dark character that Paul. He seems to have imposed a moral system, that if not as original and sweeping as Jesus' was at least about as far reaching in the details. Thing is -- it seems the only reason the early Xtians followed him was for his organizational capabilities. I guess if your religion makes you a sheep, you're going to do what the sheep-dog wants you to. Of all the foundational Xtian characters, by far he seems most suspect in his intentions.

Thanks for the clarification twixt the statements regarding him v.s the OT. :-x

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:00 pm

The story goes that in Victorian England, when laws pere passed against homosexuality the reason that only male homosexuality was made illegal was because queen Victoria did simply not believe that there was such a thing as a lesbian.

Maybe the story is an uban myth, maybe not.

But queen Victoria also reportedly said about sex: "I close my eyes and think of england..." (Unless that's an urban myth as well.)

Blessings
RainForestMoon

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:26 pm

sorry i have not been back much lols. the admin of the site caught me of guard and chucked me into a debate about 2 priests being locked up for inciting racial hatred...

i dislike it when people moan about the law lols :)
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:55 am

Rain ForestMoon wrote:The story goes that in Victorian England, when laws pere passed against homosexuality the reason that only male homosexuality was made illegal was because queen Victoria did simply not believe that there was such a thing as a lesbian.

Maybe the story is an uban myth, maybe not.

But queen Victoria also reportedly said about sex: "I close my eyes and think of england..." (Unless that's an urban myth as well.)

Blessings
It seems I've heard that too. It sounds about right considering how terribly prudish the Victorians were.

daibanjo
Level 9
Level 9
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by daibanjo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:45 pm

Please read and enjoy.

Dear President Bush:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you and understand why you would propose and support a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. As you said, "in the eyes of God marriage is based between a man and a woman.” I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination...End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves.

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

(name suppressed by homeland security)
It'll be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:27 pm

Wasn't that originally to a talk-show host that was talking about the evils of homosexuality? I believe I remember reading that around or a little before St. Bush was elected the first time.

Heil Bush :roll:

That is a really good letter ^_^ I wonder if anyone has sent it to St. Bush? Are political authorities legally obliged to respond like they are in Canada?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:36 am

A pity we could not arrange for a million copies to be sent from all around the world to Bushy babes personaly. By snail mail so it can not count as spam.