The Ten Most Harmful Books

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:31 am

Tut, tut, if I said that you would call me "sexist". :-D

Well if she does not know whats causing that then who are we to tell her? [-(

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:55 am

i LOVE the Harry Potter books! but i do have to agree with all of you...i wouldn't give it to a child. what i don't understand is, what's the big deal? i'm sorry if i'm ticking any of you "anti-Harry"'s out there, but it's basically a more mainstream fantasy series with a melodramatic undertone! what's the difference between THAT and, say, Eragon? or Fingerprints? (btw, have any of you read Fingerprints? it's not fantasy like Harry Potter, but the girl has a "super power" so Fantasy it is!!!!)

i guess what i'm trying to say here is, why alienate Harry Potter??? i'm not saying to alienate some other fantasy series, but why Harry Potter?!
Kystar wrote:Don't even get me STARTED on Fairy tales or Anime!
gotta agree with you there, Kystar. i'm a huge anime fan, but some of the stuff out there, like Battle Royale or the first book in Saikano, is just not appropriate for kids.

i'm done now

BB
Treat every new person you meet as if they will be an important influence on you later (you know, love thy neighbor?)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:38 am

Because Harry Potter specifically deals with "Witchcraft and Wizardry", it is the work of the devil in a catholic's mind because those things are the devil's.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

a Silly Ol' Fundy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by a Silly Ol' Fundy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:21 am

Who would make a list of the 10 most dangerous books? My college text books weren't on this list but trust me if you got hit with one you would know just how dangerous they could be. I mean lights out.

a Silly Ol' Fundy

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:59 pm

a Silly Ol' Fundy wrote:Who would make a list of the 10 most dangerous books? My college text books weren't on this list but trust me if you got hit with one you would know just how dangerous they could be. I mean lights out.

a Silly Ol' Fundy
LMAFO!! My university text books were very much similar, and got given the term "Big enough to kill a small rodent".

And they make a list of the 10 most dangerous books, because they dont understand them, they dont understand the people that wrote them, and quite frankly people are scared of what they dont understand.

I mean look at the Harry Potter fiasco atm. Trying to ban them because of references to magic??? You'd have to ban every fantasy novel ever written, because without the magical aspect of these books, some of them just wouldnt be the same. In many cases of fantasy writing, it is the magic that makes the story. *sigh*
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

a Silly Ol' Fundy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by a Silly Ol' Fundy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:54 pm

I think it takes a truly evil person to be inspired by these books... I think for the most part, when people read these books their kinda like, "OK this dude's a little crazy" and leave it at that. For me personally, will I read these books? No. But if I did, do I think I would be inspired to promote genocide or non-christian value? I doubt it.

Take Er Easy

a Silly Ol' Fundy

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:12 pm

I think it was easier to be "influenced" by books, when a large library probably had four. Now days it is, I feel, a character weakness to be influenced by books. Let yourself be advised, entertained, taught (and then only very few books, It is impossible, for instance, to learn a language from a book, no matter HOW many free casettes they give you). Allow your mind to be opened. But that is all. NO book, or idea, is worth putting your life on the line for. Or killing for.

"Mein Kampf" is banned here, except for higher education study. Luckily those idiots that would make political use of it can probably not read any way. But they allow themselves to be lead by people that may be able to read; Who "translate" it into grunts, for them. That is probably the third most dangerous book in the world. More people, who have never read it, have been influenced to murder and atrocities than you could begin to count.
Last edited by Ragnar on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:21 pm

There used to be the belief that the written word had magical powers, which is why there are so many superstitions about a witch's book, and about names.

It was also believed that if someone knew a person's full true name, they could gain power over the individual, which is where the tradition of having a "Practice" or "Magical" name came from. A witch or druid believed that if they had a name to be known to the spirits by, and another name to be known to the humans by, they wouldn't be trapped that way.

Of course, the "influence" of books being "evil" comes from the day when only the very powerful and the church were educated...because the comman man couldn't think as clearly as the noble.

It's all a load of hogwash.

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:51 am

Oh yes definitely Harry Potter, definitely evil their. The writing is atroscious, god does she have to describe every little thing that's in the room. "They walked into the dark room, across the floor although wood sounded like gravel, possibly marble or in the worst case concrete or blah blah blah,"

It's just a floor!!
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:02 am

Arcanum Owl wrote:.......does she have to describe every little thing that's in the room. "They walked into the dark room, across the floor although wood sounded like gravel, possibly marble or in the worst case concrete or blah blah blah,"

It's just a floor!!
Otherwise it would just be a "short story". But with the blahblahblahblah it fills a whole book.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:08 am

Just poking some fun at Harry Potter, :lol:

I just got kinda tired of it in during my writer's course I did where everyone would constantly talk about HP this and HP that.

I don't like her writing style plain and simple, that said I think her world is fantastic, and the idea of a nobody living under the stairs who suddenly becomes a celebrity is rather nice and very helpful for alot of ppl.

Still don't like her style though, :lol:
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:50 am

She sufferes from Tolkienitis...the compulsion to take four paragraphs to describe a blade of grass and three sentences for a battle scene.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:10 am

Kystar wrote:She sufferes from Tolkienitis...the compulsion to take four paragraphs to describe a blade of grass and three sentences for a battle scene.
THATS not so bad with a novel, but I wish, as an historical researcher, people had not done that with books about actual battles.

As to writting style. I kind of like it. I think we may be suffering from the fact that, as we have discussed before, H.P ("Sauce" to his mates), does seem a bit ambiguous as to it's target audience. I do not think it can really be called a "kids" book any more. The subject matter, or the events seem a bit more "adult" than that. Particularly as the series goes on. So we are reading young adult matarial written in a style that is meant for kids. May be a dissapointment all round. Kids do not understand the "deeper" philosophy of it, and adults get hacked off at the style.

Just a thought. Perhaps Arcarnum Owl could answer with some ideas as to this, admitedly amateure, attempt at literary critisizm?

P:S Any one finds Hagrids hut....
IT'S MINE:::ALL MINE :evil3:
:toothy5: :toothy5: :toothy5: :toothy5: :toothy5:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:39 pm

I agree, I think it has gone way beyond kids book, however I am still hooked, I got so mad when that character died in the last book and when Harry Broke up with his girlfriend that I Cried.
But the movie is coming out in a week and partner is coming to visit me and see it with me.
Yay!
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:57 pm

I would say that the later books in the series are intended to grow in maturity with the characters. There is no question that after book three, the stories took a much darker turn, what with three major characters getting killed off in the last three books and all.

I would question the lableing of Rowling's battle scenes as short and Tolkien-esque. In Order Of The Phoenix, the battle at the end is quite long and also a rather apt rendering of a true battle. The individual fights were short, chaotic, and incredibly violent. It shows the depths of the human soul, both the bad and the good and just how far a person can be pushed before they snap.

Of course, I'm a fan of Rowling's work and most likely can't see past the fact that I love the books and see much of my younger self in one of the Main Characters, so take my words as you will.

I also am looking forward to the Goblet of Fire movie and hopefully my Sapphire and I will be in line on opening day, gods willing.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake