The Ten Most Harmful Books

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:55 pm

Thanks,
I put a long post somewhere to explain my absence.

Let me tell you, The cyber abyss greatly resembles Australia... Kangaroos and all.

Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:55 pm

Willow wrote: Let me tell you, The cyber abyss greatly resembles Australia... Kangaroos and all.
In that case the cyber abyss must be a very nice place.....
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:05 pm

One of the coolest places I've been in a while. Although I could do without all the things that can kill you (cyber snakes, cyber spiders, cyber box jellyfish) etc.
Once I get my own computer back I will try and figure out how to post photos.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Fairydust
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fairydust » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:53 pm

kangaroos are awsome...

i felt that needed to be shared.
haha
<3
<b>lets just let ourselves be what ever it is that we are</b>

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:45 pm

Willow --Where'all in the great cyber-abyss of Australia did you get to?

and...

Fairydust observes:
kangaroos are awsome...

i felt that needed to be shared.
Thank you for sharing...! :lol:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:45 pm

My partner and I travelled the east coast,
it was a graduation present from everyone I knew to go for a month, we visited two of my friends too. One who is down there for teachers college and one who is working at the Australia Zoo, home of the Crocodile Hunter (most over marketed man on earth).
Favourite place...I think I liked Fraser Island best. I did some sailing in the north and came down with the worst sunstroke ever recorded in human history.
Kangaroos are very neat, but Imuch preferred the wallabies, they were smaller and cuter
Blessings
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:54 pm

Kangaroos are ****** terrifying when they're running towards you though. Especially the HUGE red ones. So many of our native animals are, although unique, fascinating and sometimes cute, really dangerous. And almost everything is poisonous.

One of my English frinds said that there's a really quick way to spot and Australian- if approached by insects, they kill them immediately. I heartily agreed. :lol:

Glad to hear you liked it, Willow. Fraser Island is brilliant.
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:19 pm

Interesting Anecdote,
While IN Melbourne we went to the Melbourne zoo with a few guys from the Aussie rules team (my friend was a coach).
Anyway we were walking through the part of the zoo where they had bears, Lynxes, wolves, pumas, foxes and a few other of our Canadian creatures. My Canadian friends and I are all pretty outdoorsy and have thus had run ins with all these creatures. I told the story of the time I saw a dog get taken out by a cougar on a golf course in Alberta and this big Giant football Australian team member says , Wow, i would be so afraid to go to Canada, everything there can kill you.
Perspective is a wonderful thing.
Blessings
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Florarose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Florarose » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:07 am

:lol: :roll:
Hi! I am new but I do have a comment on the ten most harm full books. There is a Christian group in my area that think God needs help in condemning Harry Potter. They had a book burning the other day where the boasted that they burned "hundreds" of Harry Potter books. Well I was thinking outside the box and came to the occlusion that if they bought all those books that would show support of it and put it closer to the best selling list and would it not add to A.J.s income. I smiled to myself and thought boy they sure showed her. ;)
BB Florarose

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:09 am

Yes -- but any book burning still evokes an image much like those of the book burnings in Hitler's regime, and a myriad of anti-intellectual pograms like those in China and Cambodia in the late 60's and 70's. I think it is a very ugly expression of hatred, and scarey ignorance. It also seems to be a very disturbing symptom of repressed violence. Makes me wonder what they'll want to burn next...
:violent3:

Imagine what kind of a person finds satisfaction in such a display of enforced stupidity. Harry Potter books are children's books. You might just as well go lynch Winnie-the-Pooh and Piglet in effigy. I've never understood why people can't just let other people read or think what they want.

Anyway, as a political statement --I think book-burning says a lot more about the burners than it does about the book.
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Florarose
Level 1
Level 1

Book Burning

Post by Florarose » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:58 am

[-X Don't get me wrong I was not trying to make burning Book seem like trivia. I think burning books is their way of trying to intimidate and control, If left unchecked They will Burn you and me they have been there and done that. This is the legacy that they leave their Children,Do not die for right to be who you are but kill.

Artemisblessed
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Artemisblessed » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:58 am

omgs! that's terrible! what i can't understand, though, is why most of those books are on there in the first place!!!!! like many of you said before, "oh sure, condemn the books that support any kind of progressive thinking! that'll show those seperatists!" #-o

my eyes nearly popped out of my head when i saw Darwin on the list. Dangerous? not really... Controvertial? oh yes. a daring attempt in it's day! celebrate it! even if it's not true, even if it's a load of crap! (which i don't think it is...i happen to believe in evolution)

as for Mein Kampf, well...that's a touchy subject. i don't condone fascism or anything, but it's an interesting look into the mind of a highly disturbed, imprisoned man. a great read. not that any information in it should be taken to heart. a good friend of mine (who was Jewish, by the way...how bout that?) read it and bought it...waddaya know?

something to think about...

BB
Artemisblessed
Last edited by Artemisblessed on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:15 pm

dragonflydrummer wrote: Harry Potter books are children's books.
Actually, as an avid follower of the series, I have to say that I would NOT let a child under the age of MAYBE 11 read these books...and in fact, I would restrict said child to reading one book a year, so that they were the same age as Harry.

The reasons behind this is:
The books have aged with the character and have gotten progressively Darker and more mature. A child younger than the characters won't understand some of the themes or situations, and could also be disbturbed by some of the situations.

At this point, I would classify them as "young adult". I have NEVER considered them as Children's books...magic and fantasy regardless. I mean, come on, the first freaking book talks clearly about abuse and neglect of a child!

*Pant, pant* sorry, you've just discovered a pet peeve of mine...dumbing down things that really aren't for kids. (Don't even get me STARTED on Fairy tales or Anime!)
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:12 pm

I think I agree. The first one or two were pretty harmless. But they do seem to get more away from "childrens books" as the series goes on.

Love the series, but I wish she would not wait so long between book releases. My nieghbours kids loved reading the first three, but waiting for the next instalment lead to boredom, the last book they are just not interested in reading at all.
They have lost interest in the whole idea, because of the time gap.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:49 am

She keeps getting pregnant in between books.

Fan fiction helps keep the interest up...but can be addictive.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!