The Ten Most Harmful Books

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

The Ten Most Harmful Books

Post by dragonflydrummer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:27 am

Well it's finally happened -- The American Neo-Consevatives have targeted the ten books they think are the most dangerous.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591

Fortunately they haven't started burning them yet.

I find it very curious that Kinsey comes in fourth place after Marx/Engels, Hitler, and Mao.

So far no Starhawk or books of pagan mythology. Give them time.
Eventually they'll boil all the approved reading down to the Bible, and the Life of Ronald Reagan.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :bootyshake: :salute: :salute: :salute:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:49 am

Wow, did you see the ones that got honorable mentions on that list? Freud, Darwin, Skinner, holy crap. Don't read any books that might lead to independant thinking or actual learning! [-X
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:43 am

bleeding heck... they will want want psychology banned next?!
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Well, they can want all they wish, doesn't mean they'll ever receive it... close minded lil biggots and hypocrites.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:23 pm

The list is interesting both for its inclusions as well as its omissions:

I would have expected to find the Koran there. And some of the teachings of the Dalai Lama.

To see (under honourable mention) "Unsafe at any speed" by Ralph Nader and "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson will probably lead to a revision of the first chapter of Genesis of the christian bible:

On the 7th day God created General Motors, Ford, Toyota and all the other Automobile manufacturers. And He saw that they were all good.

On the 8th day God created DDT, Agent Orange, Dioxin and all the other poisons. And He saw that they were all good.

On the 9th day God rested.

(This would also have the added benefit of expanding the working week by 40% at no extra cost to business.)

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:18 pm

There is something rather odd on that list, in the fact that the "Communist Manifesto" and "Mein Kamp" are number one and two:

If there ever was an anti-communist is was Adolf Hitler.

Quite probably, If Britain and France had not declared war on Germany in 1939, Adolf would have gotten rid of Communism in the world within a few years. (What would have happend after that is of course anyone's guess, and presumably it would not have been a pretty sight....)

Blessings
RainForestMoon

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

harmful books...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:37 pm

Rain ForestMoon muses:
To see (under honourable mention) "Unsafe at any speed" by Ralph Nader and "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson will probably lead to a revision of the first chapter of Genesis of the christian bible:

On the 7th day God created General Motors, Ford, Toyota and all the other Automobile manufacturers. And He saw that they were all good.

On the 8th day God created DDT, Agent Orange, Dioxin and all the other poisons. And He saw that they were all good.

On the 9th day God rested.

(This would also have the added benefit of expanding the working week by 40% at no extra cost to business.)
Well -- actually -- by outsourcing all the related jobs in these areas to Chinese industries, the savings are virtually the same. You know how inefficient over-time can be... :lol:

p.s. I'm a little surprised Harry Potter didn't make the list --oh well -- there's always next year.
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:00 pm

I agree with the statement of "Don't read anythign that might lead to independant thinking"

aye de mi! Loco!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:49 am

Me too. If thats O.K with every one?

O.K. so ... HOW do you "summarise" Hitler, Marx/Engels, and Mao in 9 lines?
Mei Kampf I would agree with them on.
"Communist Manifasto", "Put into practice by the evil Soviet Union"? EXCUSE ME? Was that not EXACTLY the problem with the USSR? That they didn't practice it?
And who's god is it that believes all property is evil? HMMM?
Something about camels and needles ring any bells?
Sorry, I do not need to say all this to you all. Just a small rant of disbelief.
What, out of interest would your 10 "bad" books be?
1) obvious
2) obvious
3) Mein Kampf. (and yes, I have read it)
4) >10) Any book recomended by Neocons/Fundies.
Really, I can not think of any book I would not read.
Mills and Boone, Readers Digest and "sports" Excepted. (I am sure I just wrote that some where else(?))
How about every one else?

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:54 pm

Well as far as bad books meaning bad for society, I dunno. I've never read Mein Kampf, or the Communist Manifesto but I do think that there is something to be learned, even from so called "bad" books. As far as books that I'd never read again just because they (in my opinion) were bad in the sense that they didn't capture my interest, I'd have to say The Scarlet Letter is at the top of the list. After that is pretty much every textbook I've ever had to read for school. The ones for highschool were especially bad. Bad in the sense that they were horribly out of date and not very truthful. :roll:
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Re: harmful books...

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:46 am

dragonflydrummer wrote:
p.s. I'm a little surprised Harry Potter didn't make the list --oh well -- there's always next year.
That's what I thought, too. But then I realised that the judges are all old fogeys that live so far removed from the real world that they have never heard of Harry Potter.
RainForestMoon

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:51 am

I don't think any books are "bad" per se. Demented sometimes like Hitler's little tome. I had some problems with aspects of Nietzsche --especially in "Zarathusthra," and Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead," gives me hairballs.
:cat:
I haven't read any of the American NeoCons' writings, but I bet they would be fairly inane. Bigoted right-wing media people push my buttons a lot more than authors do...

I kind of liked the "Communist Manifesto." It was a brave piece of writing in it's day. :brave:

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*insert swear work*

I saw that when it was first posted. Typical that the Communist Manifesto would come before Mein Kampf, this was written by Americans was it? I know what would be number one as judged by a European panel. How many millions died in WW2?

And a HUGE pat on the back for listing "The Feminist Mystique". Also saw Simone de Beauvoir given an honorary mention. We should know that were are women, therefore dirty, worthless, but potentially dangerous. We should NOT be given any literature that gives us ideas above our station in life. Now I'll go back to scrubbing the floor.

The Koran and the Bible should be top two in terms of destructive literature. However, I do not support the cersorship of any literature, regardless of content.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:08 pm

Its good to know that politicians are taking an active interest in important matters.
Now that w have this usefule resource list maybe we can use it to helpus end world hunger or stop terrorism.

Gah, some people's priorities.

Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:48 am

Heeeeeyyyyyyy! Willow!

Welcome Back... Thought you fell off into the Cyber-Abyss...

:blob: :wav: :blob: