New Pope to try to stop Harry Potter and Witchcraft

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:59 am

Well, the last pope was kind of a hard act to follow, and the new one hasn't exactly been "all over the papers". He probably thought he needed to say something to remind the world he was still there. If this is the best he can come up with...

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:55 am

scandalicious wrote:
Back onto Harry Potter ... if the pope doesn't like Harry Potter, well good for him, but he shouldn't try and stop others from reading it.
Yeah, that's the way we think. But to a devout Catholic there is the way their GOD thinks, and then there is the WRONG way of thinking, and if something is WRONG it's the work of the Devil and must be stopped. If His High Flippin' Holiness the Pope thinks Harry Potter is anathema -- well then by Jesus, the damned books are Evil !!!!!! Break out the torches and pitchforks...

On the brighter side of all of this -- I guess there must be some benefits to Xtians never having to think for themselves. They don't have to worry about confusion or indecision in their lives. I mean, did you ever hear of a sheep having a nervous break-down? :lol:

:tool:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Perigee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perigee » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:43 am

The thing that disturbs me the most about the staggering number of christians complaining about Potter books (just type "Harry Potter is evil" into Google!) is how few complain about His Dark Materials!
:roll:
btw has anyone here read His Dark Materials? personally i think those books rule and knock spots off the mediocre Potter books!

Anywho, its nothing new for Catholics and other fundies to try and censor unsavory material. Who was that bloke that said the Earth went around the Sun?
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our souls.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The truth will come to you at last.

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:34 pm

Galilleo. Boy -- did they ever make him sorry he ever spoke the truth. They say "the Truth will set you free," but all it did was imprison him. :roll:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Perigee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perigee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:06 am

I was trying to be ironic. In any case, it seems that the amount and power of Anti-church content in literature is inversely proportional to the amount of bad press the churchies give it. Observe:

Harry potter (no real anti-church elements) gets plenty of bad press

Satanic Bible - no bad press to speak of.

Perigee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perigee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:07 am

dragonflydrummer wrote:Galilleo. Boy
How did you know i was a boy? Man, I'm impressed!

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:34 am

C'mon now - t'was just an expletive like Gorsh or golly-gee... :-(

I guess I'd have been more accurate to say, "Boy-Howdy..."

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:35 pm

Perigee wrote:Satanic Bible - no bad press to speak of.
You are joking, aren't you?
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Perigee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perigee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:19 pm

scoia wrote:You are joking, aren't you?
I have yet to see any topic in here talking of the Catholic Church denouncing the Satanic Bible, whereas whereever I go there are people telling me Harry Potter is evil!! Oh yeah, sure, im joking...

2Crunchy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 2Crunchy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:41 am

There was plenty of bad press when the Satanic Bible was first published, but that was in 1969. That's 36 years ago. It's old news. You strike me as being young (I could be wrong) so you wouldn't remember any of that. Harry Potter is here and now. It is a huge part of popular culture, and is therefore perceived as a threat by religious fundamentalists.
Come to the Dark Side.....
We have cookies! :)

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:16 pm

*sigh* I was debating your assertion that members of the church had said nothing against the satanic bible. They have a whole lot to say against it, and still do. As 2Chrunchy said, it was published 30 something years ago, so it's not exactly new news.

But just look up satanism on google to see how the majority of information on the subject is written by nutbag xtian fundamentalists.
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:26 pm

I think the Nutbag Xtian Fundamentalists ( love that label, scoia...), see us all as pretty much the same thing -- witches, devil-worshippers, atheists, heathens, moslems. buddhists... etc. -- all going to hell... all to to be converted or compelled to see the "light."

Harry Potter is just drawing a lot of attention these days -- so it's a trendy target -- and that makes good press... :lol:

Poor Harry, everybody's always picking on him... meanwhile the kids (and adult fans) are lining up to get each new story. Try as they might, the Xtians just can't make their silly constrictions into something that captures a child's imagination. It has to be drilled into them...

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :laughing3: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

I'm not sure that a lot of little kids would like LaVey. He's a bit of a curmudgeon. He's less of a threat in the short run than Harry Potter who enters kids' realms of fascination when they're young, and is -- well -- quite harmless... unless you're threatened by open minds.

Perigee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perigee » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:17 pm

2Crunchy wrote:There was plenty of bad press when the Satanic Bible was first published, but that was in 1969. That's 36 years ago. It's old news. You strike me as being young (I could be wrong) so you wouldn't remember any of that. Harry Potter is here and now. It is a huge part of popular culture, and is therefore perceived as a threat by religious fundamentalists.
Yep. Very good. You people sure are perceptive.
There's not really much I can say to validate my ignorance, other than that I stand corrected.

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:48 pm

dragonflydrummer wrote:I'm not sure that a lot of little kids would like LaVey. He's a bit of a curmudgeon.
:lol: Yes, to say the least (well, at least he was). I can't really imagine children being entranced by lectures on social darwinism or the 9 satanic sins.
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:46 pm

Speaking of curmudgeons though -- Lemony Snicket is doing quite well with the kids. No Papal Bull against him yet ... :-)

Maybe there's still hope for LaVey after all. Perhaps they'll uncover some unpublished children's stories by him...
:blob4:

They'd make a great birthday gift.... :lol: