New Pope to try to stop Harry Potter and Witchcraft

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:35 am

plus the Church had control of every thing way back. inc the law were god made the verdict... i till find that hilarious.

but I'm sure a christian some were will never be happy unless that have something to whine about.
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:44 am

Hilarious but logical, if the priest, who also in many cases was the judge, was god's mouthpiece on earth, then it was "god's decission". As the law was seen at the time.
Of course, now the system is reversed.
Then the judge made the decission and the jury, or the mob, made the sentence, now the mob decide guilt and the judge the payment. Is it any better? Would you trust your freedom to a group that are so idiotic they read tabloid news papers and are also football fans? (How much more imbicilic can you get than a football fan?).That is the major statistical make up of modern British juries.

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:04 am

I'd rather that then the dodgy old methods of holding a scolding rod and then not being aloud to clean my hand.... (if its infected I'm guilty.. if it is clean (fat chance) i have been spared by god)
that there was the coffin in the water one to... lol... if you drowned you were innocent... if you didn't you were guilty and killed ..

law teacher gave us loads of recorded case's of trials like these being done on gods verdict...

at least being sentenced by aloud of jury idiots (which may soon be going through yet another reform in the UK which may end in the jury being abolished) is less painful :)

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:05 am

I know it is getting off the topic a bit (what was the topic again?) but this is the interesting thing about the jury systen.

It was originally introduced with the purpose that all the members of the jury knew the accused, and their decision was made mainly on the basis of their knowledge of the defendant. (Was the defendant likely to have done such a thing?)

Now of course it is totally reversed, in that you can't be on a jury where you know the defendant. So the decision is made on the evidence. Often a juror (be he/she a football fan or not, btw) just does not have sufficient grasp of the evidence presented, and in the end some rather strange decisions are sometimes made.

Also, being a juror is not an easy thing. I know that from my own experience, having served as a juror in a number of criminal cases.

But all-in-all I believe it is better if 9 guilty persons are let go free than if 1 innocent person is convicted.

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:23 am

that is one of the main rules.
rather a guilty man walk free than imprison an innocent man.

you can't have people who have connections now cause people are more biased. when i t as first introduced alot of people would be to scared of being biased or would simply drop a mate in it to get on good side with the authority.

I've never had to do jury duety yet... well with being 17 and all but i have viewed a few court cases during trips to the crown court.
it's hard not to become clouded by the act so people can twist the evidence in there own mind.

inside the jury room to... totally private... you never know if one guy says... "look lets get out of here and I'll buy you all a burger king..."

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:14 am

Brown Eyed girl,
What are they planning on replacing the jury with? In Germany it is a judges decission as to guilt, but even though it is one person, it is pretty rare to hear appeals here. I would have thought the opposite. Either thhe judges are so good that they always get it right, or his word is so powerful that you may as well forget appealing. I would also say that one peson is easier to "Knoble" than twelve. Particularly when Government interests are at stake.
Did you also know that now the police do not have to swear an oath to the Queen? What is happening with British law?
Oh aye, HARRY POTTER FOR POPE!
Or is that a slight misunderstanding of the topic?

scandalicious
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Pisces

Post by scandalicious » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:47 pm

The pope can't be serious in trying to stop kids from reading Harry Potter? Can he? I am a die hard Harry Potter fan, and I find this the most ridiculous thing I have heard, since the last time I heard our Prime Minsiter speak .... He should be intelligent enough to realise that 99% of people know that Harry Potter is fiction, and none of the magical spells or places are for real ... although the other day I had a guy tell me that there is a chance that the spells could be for real ... and mind you this guy is around my age (20ISH).
But seiously, if kids want to read Harry Potter, then let them, its not like they're going to run to a wand store and buy a wand with a feather of a pheonix in it, and rosewood outer. :smt046 :naka:
Life moves quick, if you don't stop and look around once in awhile you might miss it.

Beauty fades, your spirit is forever.

The bad things in life open your eyes to the good things you weren't paying attention to before.

:munky2: :angel13:

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:36 pm

Ragnar, I believe the horse in Animal Farm was named Boxer, after the Boxer rebellion.

Also, I would love to read your comparison of the worlds' mythologies. That's sounds incredibly interesting, and given the way the Church integrated itself with Pagan Europe, it doesn't shock me at all. If you should ever get around to finishing it, or feel like posting the raw copy, you've got at least one eager reader.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:43 pm

Davisherm, Aye it's a matter of pulling all the thrteads together and put it into readable form, as soon as it is done I'll deffinately think of the library first.

scandalicious wrote;
"although the other day I had a guy tell me that there is a chance that the spells could be for real ...".

Yeh, well, and he's the type that end up getting interviewed when the press want an "expert" on "The Occult", or the vatican want an example making of us. Which is basically the same thing any way. Didn't introduce himself as "Gandalf" or something did he? Or start swating those pesky U.F.O's that the Government have fly around his head to spy on him?
Can you not get him onto these boards so we can rip the p*** out of him?

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:33 am

Ragnar wrote:Brown Eyed girl,
What are they planning on replacing the jury with?
In Germany it is a judges decision as to guilt, but even though it is one person, it is pretty rare to hear appeals here. I would have thought the opposite. Either the judges are so good that they always get it right, or his word is so powerful that you may as well forget appealing. I would also say that one person is easier to "Knoble" than twelve. Particularly when Government interests are at stake.
Did you also know that now the police do not have to swear an oath to the Queen? What is happening with British law?
Oh aye, HARRY POTTER FOR POPE!
Or is that a slight misunderstanding of the topic?
Qualified people like judges or Qualified Magistrates.. Not Lay magistrates

a lot of people want lay people taken away from the law... personally i think they do a Lil bit of good.. imagine the lay magistrates (who handle 95% of magistrates cases) were replaced with payed magistrates....
ouch

if any chance of knobbling is discovered in one out of the 12 juries members the whole jury is chucked out to.

I've only done police powers... but i know alot of police officers are just sour cause they don't get to decide which cases go to court any more cause when they did they sent EVERY case they had worked on to court.. and ALOT of them failed.

:: continues reading harry potter... its a very good series for people with reading difficulties... well that was why i started reading them any way... I'm hooked now lmao!::

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:07 pm

The trouble I found with lay magistrates is that they are apt to erratic sentencing. I have seen two virtually exactly the same cases in the same morning, and before the same magistrate, with 90%similar family circumstances for the guilty party, and one gets 20 pound fine and the other gets two years youth custody! If that could be evened out then fair enough.
Jury knobling, your point is that I was trying to make exactly, If there are twelve there is a much greater chance of any attempt to knoble bieng found out. With one, all you need to know is where he goes for fun when his wifes tucked up with her "Womans weekly" and her cocoa, and he's (She's) knobled.
The final decission as what went to court was never in the hands of the police. It was the clerk of the court, or the Crown prossecution service. Both of which are independant bodies.

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:37 am

the crown prosecution service was made to take the responsibilities away from the police. i was on about pre cps when the police handled case's they used to do every thing and force cases through that any one from the outside would know would collapse easily.
Lay magistrates are awful with there sentences. and alot are biased towards non middle class people. and are always biased towards the defendant (which is wrong as there ACTUALLY pent to be biased in the other way as in making sure of every thing before prosecuting and seemingly acting in the favor of the defendant.)

i feel genuinely sorry for people on a jury any way. i watched an inside video of a shadow jury. a real jury was in a different room which could not be recorded but the shadow jury was recorded. in there for hours arguing. its also harder to skip jury duty now £1000 fine i believe and there also less excuses. like last minute holidays arnt a valid excuse and not many people are automatically immune from it any more.. bar the army obviously... not help ful is half way through a trial 2 of the jury get called of to join the war lols.

scandalicious
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Pisces

Post by scandalicious » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:51 pm

Didn't introduce himself as "Gandalf" or something did he?
Unfortuantly no ... but he does have a morbid sense of humour ... Why do they put fences around cemetries? Because everyone is dieing to get in ... pretty damn sick if you ask me. He is a christian though.

Back onto Harry Potter ... if the pope doesn't like Harry Potter, well good for him, but he shouldn't try and stop others from reading it. It would be like trying to get him to stop being a catholic. It is just a complete waste of time.
Life moves quick, if you don't stop and look around once in awhile you might miss it.

Beauty fades, your spirit is forever.

The bad things in life open your eyes to the good things you weren't paying attention to before.

:munky2: :angel13:

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:45 am

wonder if he has ever read the harry potter books. if he did he wouldn't be so worried.... unless... :: runs of to by a wand with a unicorn hair in it so i can zap the pope :D::

lols

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:05 am

He's not likely to succeed killing that popular of a movement... bad pr and political actions on his part won't kill that, only thing that will is time... the man is a fool for even trying.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com