New Pope to try to stop Harry Potter and Witchcraft

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
Somber Sky
Level 1
Level 1

New Pope to try to stop Harry Potter and Witchcraft

Post by Somber Sky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:59 pm

You guys are going to like this on . The new pope is going to do his dead leval best to stop children from reading harry potter books. It Teaches children about witchcraft and influences there young minds to do bad things and susposadly turn to satan later on down the road. What the hell is he going to do burn all the books and kill RL Stine come on !!

Rain ForestMoon
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Rain ForestMoon » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:41 am

The worst thing about this is, that the Pope now seems to take the same line as the fundamentalist protestants....

Up to now I had hoped that some parts of christianity had more sense than to worry about Harry Potter...

Maybe they don't have anything else important to occupy their minds with...

Blessings
RainForestMoon

"Excess of anything is bad, but especially the excess of Moderation"

"AQUILA NON CAPIT MUSCAS'

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:36 am

i don't read the books but my b/f does. and its great for kids... it improves there reading!

silly pope.... soon he will say all Christians have to wear gray robes and not speak to non Christians in fear of corruption!..... yeah i know that's a Lil over exaggerated but you get what i mean.
why can i see some one trying to write a christian version of harry potter or something and changing it complete....

yeah I'm in a weird mood today

silly people!
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lunaria » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:49 pm

Didn't the last pope approve of Harry Potter? Why is this one so against it?

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:37 pm

Actually, the last pope said that the Harry Potter books and moives "Fostered a preoccupation with the occult" and that they should be avoided.

BUt, the funny thing is, publicity like that is to DIE for. Everyone wants what's forbidden. So the more the church says "DON'T" the more people will run out and buy the book to see what's so EVIL about it.

It's cutting off your nose to spite your face, is what it is. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:53 am

Good god, they are clever well written pieces of fiction I think they said the same of some disney flicks too.
Get a grip pope boy, its not like Haggred is really wisking people away to Diagon Alley!

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:00 pm

Gods, I wish Hagrid WOULD come whisk my butt off to Diagon alley, life would be so much easier if I didn't have to deal with this mundane crap!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:11 am

This isn't really new. In the 80's, there was a "Fundie revival" in my local area, and they tried to get role playing groups banned from using local school halls, because "They are an influence of evil on our children, and encourge and lead to Satan worship". I must admit though, the local catholic priests said that it was religion gone mad. I think the "Harry Potter" case is showing that, according to thier own spokesman; the catholic church is going mad(der).
As to Brown eyed girl saying about christians dressing in grey robes and not talking to non christians: to late lass, if you have ever met a strict member of "The wee frees" in Scotland. Thats the free church of Scotland who are strong calvanists, allowing no picture, or photograph in the house, Women must wear long grey or black skirts and cover thier heads at all times, unless sleeping. They (all of them) are only allowed to talk to the rest of us to "enable the minimum of outside contact for "civil life"". They are allowed to read nothing but the bible and approved religious texts... etc etc. Then you get people turning around and saying us Norse Heathens are fascist!!!

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:55 pm

Harry Potter does not teach children witchcraft. It most certainly does not teach children to worship the devil.

Harry Potter is a series of books about friendship, love, good conquering evil, and above all, it is a series of books about growing up.

Ugh. I can't say I'm surprised by this. My own family thinks the same way.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:16 pm

Arg, exactly. If you're going to pick on a book that encourages interest in the occult or magic, start going for some wiccan texts or something. I like Harry Potter (especially since the books turned by beloved little cousin into a voracious reader :-D ) but they're about as indicative of magical practice as my cookbook.

Actually, probably a lot less. :lol:
First they ignore you.
Then they laught at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.
--Ghandi

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:22 am

I think it is indicitive of the atitude of the church, that they do not seem to take Heathen/Wiccan/etc, etc, text books seriously, but a story, which was made up on the spare of the moment (at least the idea), is worthy of the full consideration of the inquisition. I would say that they are not drawing attention to the text books, by trying to ban them, because they fear they do have power. The thing about Harry Potter is just a red herring, to distract "would be witches" along the wrong path. Away from the "real threat".
I suposse we should all take heart from that. We have got something right. =D> :-D

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:24 am

You know, I think the real deal here is that the new pope doesn't want kids to read, stupid people are way easier to control and they don't ask questions.... :smt017 just look and what he's done to the tolerance level of the church, old pope did bad to ok job and new pope does horrible to 120 mph down highway to hell kinda job.
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:17 am

Yup, I believe that was why the old mass was in Latin. No one knew what it meant. Repeating it parrot fashion is not the same as knowing it. I can not remember the name of the horse, but the one that realised something was wrong with the writing on the wall in "Animal farm". But could not read enough to prove it.
Look also at "faranheit 451" by Ray Bradbury.

SWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SWK » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:04 pm

I learned this in world history. During the dark ages (before the rennaisance) the church pretty much controlled everything in europe becuase they were the only ones who knew how to READ. Because nobody else knew what the bible said and the christian church held power over the masses. Peasants and such were too poor to learn to read, and books were not in mass supply (which was changed eventually by the so called "invention" of the printing press). Well, at least that was the basic jist of it (methinks). I slept a lot during the school this year :D.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:57 pm

You must be a light sleeper, what you said was basically heard correctly.
That is the problems we have reading the "Eddas" and the "Sagas", they were allways passed on by word of mouth. When they were eventualy written down, (some on command of the Archbischoff of Bremen so he would know how best to turn our mythologys against us), it was the monks that did it.
So what we now do is go through the myths comparing them with the mythologys of Japan, China, the Native Americans and Australians. You would be amased, though maybe not, at the corespondance between them all. It then becomes obvious which parts of ours were christian additions, due to the fact that all the above, especially the Japanese, are the least christian poluted mythologys existing. Something i started at Uni, but never got chance to complete before my four years ended, and I was released for good behaviour. But I carry on the project as a hobby.