Would you find this offensive too?

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.
dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

but...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:18 am

See -- that's the way schism starts! Next thing you know
someone will be espousing Babylon 5 as the only "true" way! lol

I beg to disagree. Even Whorf gets time in Purgatory for his affiliation with DS9...

:banghead: :booty: :violent3:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:58 am

Nope, I'm sorry. His place in Sto'Vo'Kor has been assured for a long time now. And Sisko's with the Prophets as we speak. Dukat and Kai Winn are the only ones who belong in the fire caves, and that's exactly where they are.

And the only ties Babylon 5 has to the true way is the tenuous connection through Walter Koenig. Although I never watched it, so I can't really say anything. Stargate Atlantis has Colm Meany, however.

Speaking of Schisms... isn't that the episode where Riker gets sucked out of the ship and into some other dimension where clicky aliens are performing experiments on him and other members of the crew? Yeah, I think it is. ;)

but getting back on topic

I've heard the purgatory and limbo stories, myself and never really put any stock in it. I've read the bible a few times and found nothing about either one. Baptism isn't a requirement, it's only a symbolic way of announcing that yuo've been washed in the blood. That's kind of a gruesome expression isn't it? The Catholics dreamt all of that up at some point. It's got no basis in the the scriptures.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:29 am

My hat is off to the scholar! :tongue8:

But this brings up the serious point of the relative nature of things. So given a Purgatory. You're saying Whorf goes to Sto'Vo'Kor and I'm thinking nope -- gotta do time in television Purgatory first. How could anyone decide with objective certainty?

I mean even YHWH would have a hard time with it... although I guess in that system, he's sorta the final word. I'm not sure that holds true for Klingons tho'.

:kermit:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:47 am

Well, Michael Dorn did have a role in that horrible film "Amanda and the Alien" .... not to mention Star Trek Nemesis. Wouldn't those be considered purgatory?

Raven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raven » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:54 pm

and thus, i avoid Star Trek at all costs. Oh the lessons from the PaganLibrary are neverending

Kobak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kobak » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:05 pm

because William Shatner singing wasn't enough?

the original series has a special place in my heart, though.
...'tis most evident and plain that simple Nature is the most harmless, inoffensive, and virtuous mistress. 'Tis she alone, if she were permitted, that better instructs the world than all the inventions of Man. --Aphra Behn, <u>Oroonoko</u>

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:16 pm

But Spoken word music is so IN right now!

And what about Nimoy's "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"?

http://homepage.mac.com/evanbaumgardner ... ater6.html

or if that's still down:

http://gr.bolt.com/download/trickyl/goo ... aggins.mov

Kobak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kobak » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:16 pm

bilbo, bilbo, bilbo baggins...!
...'tis most evident and plain that simple Nature is the most harmless, inoffensive, and virtuous mistress. 'Tis she alone, if she were permitted, that better instructs the world than all the inventions of Man. --Aphra Behn, <u>Oroonoko</u>

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:19 am

Back on February 16th Raven said:
...But her comment about how i am destined for a stay in purgatory, and then of course heaven.... that just pisses me off. She no longer has enough respect for me to even begin to think that, MAYBE, i'm not like everybody else, and i MIGHT be going somewhere else??
I suppose the Shire would be as good an alternative to go to as any... heh heh...

:smt006

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:34 pm

Where are the ones from the original series? They were the most politically incorrect of all.

Speaking of politically correct or maybe catholic sensibilites what the heck is with this :sex:

there was no sex on star trek, they had moved eyond that by then.
Blessings
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:48 pm

damned if I know it just seemed like something that might happen in Purgatory... :lol:

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:24 pm

It's a pirate thing. A Jolly Rogering.

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by dragonflydrummer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:40 pm

It could be I guess -- if that were one's persuasion. Mostly it looks like a fair to middlin' dawgy-style quickie to me. Seriously though -- there was another couple and a guy on stage in the original composition -- so it was more otherworldly -- more Hieronymus Bosch-like and Purgatorial...

more like this:

:sex: :toothy1:

:sex:

melina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by melina » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:05 pm

You are definitely not being bad. I really don't think you're disrespecting her beilefs either. You're not telling her Catholicism is wrong. I go through this stuff all the time. One of my really good friends is a born again Christian who doesn't believe in same sex marriage, or any homosexuality for that matter, and we disagree on almost everything religious or political. Basically we just realized that we shouldn't talk about those things together cause it makes us all kinds of ticked off. I love her and think she's a great person, I just don't discuss religion with her. Even if you used to be able to talk about being Pagan with this friend, you might not be able to anymore. I can't say don't be offended, cause stuff doesn't work that way, but don't hold anything against her. Try your hardest to shrug stuff off, or just tell her straight out to keep her religious comments to herself. Of course, if you do that, it's a two way street and you'll have to keep yours to yourself too.
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!-

Isaiah 5:20

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

Pardon me but...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:17 am

But doesn't that constitute having to keep quiet about your beliefs? This is an insidious facet of Xtianity. They for the most part (every culture has a few enlightened people) feel it's fine to blather on about their very unbalanced faith where they worship only the Male aspects of the Universe and divide that great big MALE into a great big GOOD & EVIL. While the avatar of Jesus seems an admirable master -- he really is just the "Nice Cop" or front man for a much older Hebrew War God who thinks nothing of genocide, or the complete subjugation of the Female in every way shape and form. Top that off with the Xtians lovely habit of relegating anyone who doesn't believe what they are told to believe, to Hell or at least a phony mock-up called Purgatory...

Isn't the answer to that kind of closed-minded oppression to speak up? More importantly isn't it paramount in the face of that "religion" of denial & guilt to live a life openly and freely which comprises the things you really do cherish and believe? Somehow staying silent just makes you sort of a sub-Xtian. One that if she/he stays nice & quiet all their life might still get into 'heaven' after a few hundred years in Purgatory.

:brave: :brave: :brave:

I think the answer to a Xtian relegating me to Purgatory, be they friend or not is : "How the hell would you know?"