Time To Panic

Welcome to Fundies! Here you can discuss, vent about, or bash fundamentalists of all persuasions. That means pagan fundies, too.

Should I Go & If So, What Should I Do?

Get sick, leave town, what ever it takes, but DON'T GO!
21%
Go and answer all their questions honestly - this is a free country!
43%
Go and flat out lie - tell them what they want to hear and keep the peace.
7%
Go and find a way to avoid answering the questions.
29%

Total votes: 14

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:20 pm

I would say go and have fun and use the wit. If you are casual about it, most likey they will be too. Although a funny thing happeend to me at a wedding once with a Fundie Aunt. I told her I was a vegetarian. And She told me that "Being a vegetarian was a sin becuase Jesus ate fish." My boyfriend looked at her and said "Yeah, well i wouldn't take dietary advice from a guy who fasted for forty days and forty nigths" It was pretty funny. So short answer, use wit.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

whitegravity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whitegravity » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:18 pm

Yeah, this opportunity to meet the people you live with sounds like a golden one, and one you might regret to pass up. If the religion factor comes in *perhaps they accept it, you would then have a lot less to worry about, and *may feel more comfortable in the new cul de sac (sp?).

I'm a little young for you to consider my advice, but I would bring up the subject of religion with a question, "So, how do you feel about people of different beliefs, I'm sure you wouldn't corner them and poke the person with a stick, right? :smt064 " Then simply drop little hints every so often to show that you aren't ashamed of your beliefs and nor do you fear other's views about it and you. Be the life of the party, show them how different people truly are, enjoy it!

Well, that is what I would do; but that's just me. Love to hear what happens if you go, or organize a party of your own.

BB

White

(EDIT) Well, I didn't realize this took place in November...what choice did you make, then? I'm interested.(/edit)
"...The world around us, turns;
a continuous and constant motion.
Much like that of a hand upon a cradle,
and just as lovingly..."-Siblingmune, a teacher/poet

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:16 am

Hey, I forgot all about telling you how it went - fairly smooth. There were so many people in such a small house and so much noise and so many kids that I was able to get out of saying much of anything. Plus I busied myself helping out our one extremely old neighbor by getting her food, napkins, drinks, etc. so that she didn't have to risk trying to todder around herself and get knocked over by one of the racing kids.
Only "bad" thing that happened was that the cops wife sudden noticed that there was no Ken (he refused to go at the last minute cause he felt lousy) and she literally barked at me "Are you ALONE!" and I passed it off with the truth, which was he wasn't feeling good, and she let it go at that.
I do have to say though that the cop and his wife are doing a good job of raising their kids to be just as arrogant as they are. Their little girl is about 2 and a half and one of the women said to her "Oh honey, how DID you get to be so cute?" and the little girl struck a pose, tilted her head in a cocky way and said "Good genes!" Now, a 2 and a half year old doesn't figure that one out on there own...

Stormy
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:12 pm

OMG That is hillarious (the bit about the 2 year old). I so agree that a 2 year old doesn't just pick that up!! Must be the mother's influence by the sounds of it, either that or they really think that because they're so "above the rest of us" that their genes really are superior! lol It would be interesting to see which one it is!! lol

Glad you got through the night in one piece and without too many run-ins!

Blessings!!! :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

sort of late on this but...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:12 pm

So um, Stormy? Are you going again this year?

(There could be a Bar-B-Q in the offing come 4th of July...) :santa:
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Stormy

Re: sort of late on this but...

Post by Stormy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:30 pm

dragonflydrummer wrote:So um, Stormy? Are you going again this year?

(There could be a Bar-B-Q in the offing come 4th of July...) :santa:
Absolutely NOT :-D I made my one time appearance - and YES, smarty pants, there IS a BBQ but I have the ultimate excuse - I'm allergic to the sun ;)

Not to mention the fact that a certain smart alex husband has shouted out some rather risque comments, requests and exclamations when the windows were open and the cop, his wife and kids (as well as a number of other neighbors) were outside... we probably won't be invited ever again.

Stormy

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:58 am

This is where Norse Heathens differ, I woul put a statue of Thorr in the garden, Frej... Na that COULD cause trouble.. Freya in the window, and Odinn on the garage, go to the party and ask, friendly like, "This is me, this is what I do, any problems take it to court, you will probably find it's not an offence. Now pass the beer"! Another thing that puts "them" in an awkward situation is to start a conversation about "how open minded you all seem". (Try not to be sounding to sarcastic here). Lets see 'em say any thing that contradicts their "liberalism" when you finaly tell 'em why you are in the garden at 3 A.M. or whatever. Start keeping notes on the coppers wife, He may be facinated to know what she was up to at 3A.M. when He's on night shift!

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:56 pm

I find it's better to just pass it off as "oh, I'm Pagan." and leave it at that.

They'll, of course, come right back and ask "what's that?" At this point they have opened the door and asked you to step into their lives. Maybe even pass along some information.

It makes it more friendly this way since THEY asked.

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

one of them Thorr statues would be kinda cool...

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:13 pm

Stormy wrote:
a certain smart alex husband has shouted out some rather risque comments, requests and exclamations when the windows were open and the cop, his wife and kids (as well as a number of other neighbors) were outside... we probably won't be invited ever again.
Now Ken has the right idea. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of prevarication, I always say... heh heh heh... =D>
The spirit abides immovable; it beholds the infernal monsters swarm down upon it, and does not fear. (Eliphas Levi -- The Sixth Hour)

Stormy

Re: one of them Thorr statues would be kinda cool...

Post by Stormy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:43 pm

dragonflydrummer wrote: Now Ken has the right idea. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of prevarication, I always say... heh heh heh... =D>
Well, I have to say that I'd much rather spend a few uncomfortable moments evading telling the truth about my religious practices than ducking the appalled/disqusted stares of the more prudish neighbors because they heard Ken's latest :director: :fouet:

Keep in mind that this is the same man, who, many years ago when we had a group of three old ladies living across the street who were always looking in our windows to see what we were doing - jumped up onto the couch in front of the living room window, buck naked and doing the wiggle dance... ahem, needless to say, it DID stop the old ladies from looking in the windows anymore :lol: So, point is, he's said some REALLY NAUGHTY things LOL.

Stormy

dragonflydrummer
Level 10
Level 10

the Mamooshka!

Post by dragonflydrummer » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:02 am

A little :director: :fouet: never hurt anyone. It'll keep their imaginations from atrophying. Now if it had been :sex: :toothy1: I'd be worried. I'm thinking I should try that "wiggle dance" on my nosy neighbor... LMAO

lunaria
Level 5
Level 5

Re: the Mamooshka!

Post by lunaria » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:39 pm

dragonflydrummer wrote: :sex: :toothy1:
omg. That's hilarious.
Hey look... I got a new icon....

So what if its Sailor Moon again? *shifty eyes*