They Want Protection

Post those fundie conversion, spell request, turn my little brother into a frog, UFO, and just plain freaky emails you receive here. We can all critique them.
Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

They Want Protection

Post by Dark Waters » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 pm

Received this forwarded e-mail from a member of my son's scout troop. First the email, then the response I sent back to them.

Pastor Removal from Television

Removal of Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, Charles Stanley, David Jeremiah and other pastors from the airwaves.
An organization has been granted a Federal Hearing on the same subject by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in Washington , D.C. .
Their petition, Number 2493, would ultimately pave the way to stop the reading of the gospel of our Lord and Savior, on the airwaves of America . They got 287,000 signatures to back their stand! If this attempt is successful, all Sunday worship services being broad cast on the radio or by television will be stopped.
This group is also campaigning to remove all Christmas
programs and Christmas carols from public schools! You, as a Christian, can help!

We are praying for at least 1 million signatures. This would defeat their effort and show that there are many Christians alive, well and concerned about our country.... As Christians, we must unite on this.

Please don't take this lightly. We ignored one lady once and lost prayer in our schools and in offices across the nation. Please stand up for your religious freedom and let your voice be heard. Together we can make a difference in our country while creating an opportunity for the lost to know the Lord.

Please, if you don't wish to participate, return this email to whoever sent it to you so they can at least keep this email going or forward it to someone you know who will wish to participate.. Dr. Dobson is going on CNBC to urge every Christian to get involved. I hope you will sign and forward to all your family and friends. Please press forward, CLEAN UP THE MESSAGE, and forward this to everyone you think should read this....

Now, please sign your name at the bottom (you can only add your name after you have pressed 'Forward' or you have copied and pasted the text).
Don't delete any other names, just go to the next number and type your name. Please do not sign jointly, such as Mr. & Mrs., each person should sign his/her own name. Please defeat this organization and keep the light of our freedom of religion.

When you get to 1,000 please e-mail back to: Lisa Norman email address is: [*email removed for privacy*]

{Then a list of 1001 signatories including the family that sent it to me}

those of you who don't know how to add your name - hit forward first and then just add yor name at the bottom and then forward it on to your friends. So many people do not know this and are forwarding it without their names added.
Not a word said ,, but actions speak very loud.

Romans 10:13 For " whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved".

Here was my response to the e-mail. Note my response got bounced back from electricyello with a message saying "mailbox unavailable" so I asked the guy who forwarded
the message to me to forward my reply back.

I must decline to sign this petition, but wish to make a statement so as to allow you to understand why. Since I carefully read your message, I hope you will offer me the
same courtesy.

First, I do not know the pastors mentioned in your e-mail, but find that several media evangelists should be removed for reasons that have nothing to do with their faith.
I offer examples like Scott Anderson the Pastor in Arizona that advocates the killing of homosexuals and the assassination of Obama. Also the Reverend Jeremiah Wright
who continues to throw anti-Semitic and anti-American comments at every opportunity. If we wish to use a classic example, we can look to Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker.
People like this hide messages of hate, intolerance and greed in a "Message of Peace," and then seek protection like you offer to continue to do so.

Next, I agree in part with your message. I do not believe that all services should be removed from the airwaves. There are plenty of all-Christian radio and TV stations
where such services and messages are desired and appropriate. These are stations where people know the theme and expect it, whereas if someone does not wish to
listen to it, they simply can choose not to tune in. I just hope that you will not try to use the approval of your signatories to force the message beyond those limits and attempt
to influence other stations to carry what is tantamount to media missionary work.

Now to the part of the message which disturbs me. I must point out that I am not a Christian, I am a Wiccan. I know many people who are Christian, but also many people who
are Jewish, Muslim, Hindi and Buddhist. Your message speaks of freedom of religion, but if networks started airing weekly Islamic or Buddhist prayer messages I feel we
would see a petition like this from the same people demanding the removal of such programs. If the public schools were to begin teaching Wiccan Yule education or Jewish
Chanukah Songs, again I feel protests and petitions would soon follow. I ask you to look into your hearts and ask, do you really mean freedom of religion or just freedom of
your religion.

On his programs, Glenn Beck is a strong advocate for bringing "God" back into school and back into government. I e-mailed him once, and never received a reply, but I will
ask the same question that I asked him. Which God? Are we to go back to only teaching the Christian version and telling students of other faiths that their beliefs are wrong,
that they are sinners and unwelcome? Are we to tell impressionable youth that hard science is misguided and a lie? Public schools are just that, Public, and therefore must
teach to all children of all faiths, or no faith at all, without prejudice. I do know they sing Christmas songs, but they are secular and nondenominational. That would be preferable
to me than to force a Jewish or Hindi student to sing "Away in a Manger."

Thank you for your patience and respect. I wish you the best and hope that you will be able to keep your programs on your stations. I also wish you happiness in the
upcoming holiday season.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Re: They Want Protection

Post by Hytegia » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:28 am

I couldn't have put it better myself, DW!
^^
:hug:
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:55 am

First, I hid the email quoted above for privacy reasons.

Second, fantastic reply. I must ask: Why do those who send out emails like this request it to be sent back to them? It's not the only hard copy in the world. I'm pretty sure they used up their resources in sending it out the first time. Do they just want an idea of who isn't on their crazyship?

Third, Hytegia, when you call Dark Waters DW, all I can think of is Darkwing Duck!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:38 am

Torn two ways here.

Trouble is with this kind of law, they tend to end up as a "catch all".

Be carefull that it does not stop US from broadcasting as well. Depends how the bill is actualy worded, and WHO it actualy covers.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:00 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:when you call Dark Waters DW, all I can think of is Darkwing Duck!
Hey! It works for me.

I am the Terror that flaps in the night!

When there's trouble you call DW!

Let's Get Dangerous!

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 am

The bill spacifically is worded toward people preaching "Hate" on the airwaves.

I doubt that Pagans will have any problem with this.........
I hope. (>_<)

BTW:
YES! DARKWING DUCK REFERENCE!

*Cookies CHL for bringing back awesome Memories*
Nor any drop to drink."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:21 am

That Darkwing Duck reference has been floating on the boards ever since Dark Waters JOINED! I think I can find at least two other posts that have it...ah, the persistence of strange childhood memories!

But, yes, Darkwing Duck was a fun show!

If it persists, Dark Waters, you might want to use Darkwing as your avatar! LOL...that would be funny.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Kystar wrote:But, yes, Darkwing Duck was a fun show!

If it persists, Dark Waters, you might want to use Darkwing as your avatar! LOL...that would be funny.
I agree! All in favour? lol

Also, I really liked your response Dark Waters. Now lets hope that they actually read it and take it in, rather than reading it and sneering at it. Well done!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Update to original post, received message back from the Forwarder:

Well, to be truthful, this has turned out to be a hoax.
Sorry about that.

Who's God... for general practices (outside your own place of worship) ... I like the Boys Scouts take on it.
i.e.; My Club soccer team prays before every game (Chris and Jon's U19 Silver).
I had various Christians, Jewish, Hindu and Islamic players. All the parents have supported this practice.
It's very short and generic prayer, using the term Lord or God (not Jesus).
Again, sorry it was a hoax to begin with.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:52 am

THIS may have been a hoax. But the general idea has been introduced, slowly, all over Britain. And, in fact, there HAVE been people taken to court for the new "religiuous hatred" crime for what they have said on T.V or radio.

So just because it is a hoax THIS time, don't think it will always be.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:32 am

What happens is that you have the REAL preachers being hurt by the HATE preachers.

Then again, did I tell you all about my debate against the Pastor at the Ren. Faire here a few weeks ago? He was causing a major disturbance to all of my friends and the rest of the people there, so I stood on ANOTHER table and put him in his place. O.o It was much like the man annoyingly bugging me at my Tattoo tent at the Art Festival.
I'm not proud of putting anyone down, but a line was crossed. Particularly calling my VERY-CHRISTIAN girlfriend a Satanist for dating me and enjoying a public event...

*Shrug*
Even I have a snapping point, I guess.

The POINT of this entire digressive response is to note that SOME people are just trying to get attention, and recieve Hate for wide-spread hate.
Nor any drop to drink."

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Of course, we must NOT forget the "proffessionaly insulted." The type that are only happy when they have something to complain about.

These types pf laws fall RIGHT into their hands.