Some fundie pagan e-mails (breast feeding)

Post those fundie conversion, spell request, turn my little brother into a frog, UFO, and just plain freaky emails you receive here. We can all critique them.
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Some fundie pagan e-mails (breast feeding)

Post by Lotus » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:20 pm

Autumn Butterfly <autumnfaery14> wrote: (this e-mail was titled “Very close-minded for a pagan)

Just a few questions for you: If you walked into a pet store (or a friends house) and saw a dog nursing her puppies, would you be offended and ask the owner to ‘please cover up your dogs, they are offending me by eating’?
And how can you possibly compare second hand smoke to breast feeding? Second hand smoke harms other people who chose not to slowly kill themselves with pesticides and arsenic. Are you so uncomfortable with your own body that you feel you are physically harmed by witnessing a mother naturally feed her child?
Would you like to be forced to eat your soup under a stuffy blanket or in a disgusting public bathroom, where germs fly everywhere every time a toilet is flushed?
And not every child is a ‘screaming brat’, and I don’t like my child being lumped into a ‘brat’ category because you happen to know a few that actually fall into that category. I happen to have a very well behaved 2 year old son (whose primary form of ‘punishment’ is a 2 minute time out, not spanking). No one can begrudge a child for getting cranky when they are tired or hungry; I’m sure that you get cranky under those conditions as well; you just have more knowledge on how to deal with it. When my son was a year and a half, we traveled from Germany to Boston by way of Atlanta, a 10 hr flight. To me, the fact that he cried maybe a total of 10-15 min (not all together) for the entire flight, says that I am a good parent, not lazy, and that I know how to handle my child.
We used to bring him to the movies with us because he would remain relatively quiet (we did have to get up with him a couple of times but we always sat in the back in case of this). The last time we brought him was about 6 months ago and we missed half the movie (kept leaving) because he felt the need to chat every few minutes. If he makes noise, we leave. That’s what good parents do. We don’t go anymore, out of respect for others, because we know he likes to talk a lot right now.
Do I think myself special just because I had a child? No. Do I think myself special because I am a good mother and my child is NOT a ‘brat’? Yes, I do.

I respect your choice to not have children, but please to not look down on me because I choose to.

Very Respectfully,

saritobarim <saritobarim26> wrote: (this titled: “you need to educate yourself”)
I find it intersting that in a community that is filled with people who have chosen not to follow others or believe what others believe without good reason or the proper information, someone can make such a snap judgement on how long a baby should be breastfed. I cannot argue against your opinion on whether they should do it in public(though I have no problems with it), but the actual information from many reputable medical associations is out there concerning this subject. This sort of snap judgement reminds me of christian fundamentalists who tell us we are evil without knowing who we really are. I hope you will find a website about extended breastfeeding and educate yourself.
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:52 pm

I breast fed both of my kids and I would do it again if I ever had another one It's natural and it is better for the baby as well I encourage people to do it. If other people have issues with it thats their issues, I think they need to go get a life, And stay out of ours...

SageWolf
To Error is Human, To really foul things up Requires a Computer.

unknown as far as I know

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:40 pm

The whole point is that these people called me closed minded, not pagan, and insecure (fundie even) due to my views on breast feeding.

I am not against breast feeding.....(Oh, btw: I do have a life).
What is wrong with doing a private thing (breast feeding) privately?

Lotus

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:27 am

Sorry, I am kind of lost here. Who are these people? And where were the posts recieved?

Some context please.
The last time we brought him was about 6 months ago and we missed half the movie (kept leaving) because he felt the need to chat every few minutes. If he makes noise, we leave. That’s what good parents do.
No, it's what parents with no idea of discipline do. No wonder that teengers of today are a bunch of undiciplined, uneducated, week willed, criminals, expecting everything to be given to them on a plate, if THIS is an example of modern "parent-hood".

An old Germanic/Prussian motto, that this "Woman" should take to heart;

"Ohne Prügel aus einem Kind kein rechtschaffener Mensch werden kann".

"Without a thrashing a child will never become a law abiding, honourable, person".

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:47 pm

No No No I didn't mean it to sound like that, I meant the people who are absolutely offended by breast feeding. I Understand your views, And yes as a man you will look at the breast as a sexual Organ, That is just the way it is, I meant those other people who think it is offensive, I'm sorry you took that wrong. I don't think you would have a woman kicked off the plane for doing the natural thing would you? HINT if you answer yes to that then I'm sorry I did mean you :roll:

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:53 pm

Oh and On that note, Babies tend to go by their own schedule, if your out shopping they get hungry for some reason, It happens all the time, you could have just fed the baby and they will be hungry 15 minutes, the funny thing is is they don't care that your out eating or shopping they want food and they want it NOW, not later. They love to do that to parents I swear, I've had it done to me.

And On that note Rag I do discpline my children They have been spanked, As well as standing in corners, as they are older now they don't get spanked much anymore, but Ive also had them clean out their entire room the only things they have had in their rooms have been clothes and their beds. They hate that. And when I tell them to clean thier rooms if they don't do it within the hour, I ask them if they want me to clean it for them, THey start cleaning right away and the whole time saying No momma I don't want you to clean my room. I've gone in their with a trash bag and cleaned their room, I've filled up a dumpster with their toys so when I say clean your room they do it. I'm a mean momma :-D (not mean just strict)

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:48 am

SageWolf wrote:And yes as a man you will look at the breast as a sexual Organ,
Speak for your self.
They hate that. And when I tell them to clean thier rooms if they don't do it within the hour, I ask them if they want me to clean it for them, THey start cleaning right away and the whole time saying No momma I don't want you to clean my room.
Yes. My Wife still does that to me and my work room. THAT is cruelty! :-D

I tend to think more of those people like in a recent report in U.K, that say to call children "naughty" damges them.

Also a Regimetal Sergeant major friend of mine who's main problem he puts as "Half these b***ards have not even been shouted at before. And they want me to make soldiers of them? Send 'em to afghanistan all the Talibs have to do is shout "Naughty boy, go home", and we have lost".

And the quotes you give in the first post. Are they from a web site or what???

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:57 am

I can't speak as a man I lack a penis Rag, But Most of the men I know (or have known) look at the breast as a sexual organ, I've had men stare at my chest saying "Well it's nice to meet you" SO you tell me, how would I get such an Idea that men are boob freaks,...............Ok not all of them but most of them.

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:29 pm

SageWolf wrote:I can't speak as a man I lack a penis Rag, But Most of the men I know (or have known) look at the breast as a sexual organ, I've had men stare at my chest saying "Well it's nice to meet you" SO you tell me, how would I get such an Idea that men are boob freaks,...............Ok not all of them but most of them.

SageWolf
Accepting that you're not making a total generalization, I nevertheless present this rebuttal:

I think context is very important. None of the guys I know would stare at a woman's breasts if she was breastfeeding, because in the context breasts are not sexual. They might avert their eyes because staring is not considered socially acceptable and they're aware that they might appear to be perverted but if they were staring it's more likely to be because they're interested in something they don't get to see very often: a baby being fed at his/her mother's breast. It doesn't have to be sexual interest to be interest. A woman breastfeeding is vaguely taboo as far as staring and sexuality goes.

As one of the friends I asked said, "The breasts might still be considered sexual but the situation is not, so I wouldn't be turned on and I wouldn't stare." Another one said "Small children tend to turn most guys off" and yet another said "Hey, not all men are breast men. I like ass."
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

SageWolf
Level 24
Level 24

Post by SageWolf » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:50 am

No I'm not making a genralization, I am stating what I've experianced, I do know that I have a nephew just recently weaned off the breast and when my husband walked in while he was being nursed, he turned around and walked right back out.Seeing as how it was his sister-in-law I can understand that, I wonder if it were me what would he do, anyway, No not all men are breast men, This post is posted in 2 different spots so I'm not remembering what I said in each.

I don't genralize anyone (at least I hope I Don't) usually when I say something it was referring to things of my past, and I have had men (while I'm married mind you) grab my butt on the dance floor, I grabbed the mans hand and told him that if he wants to keep his hand he wouldn't touch me again. I Have been know to make it sound like man bashing, but I really truely don't mean it like that.and If I offend anyone now or in the future I am offing my apologies now. I am also very good at saying what is on my mind. I may understand it but noone else might not be able too, if that is ever the case let me know.

SageWolf

unknown as far as I know

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:01 am

I find Germany is different, well the whole of Europe actualy, but Germany in particular, to U.K.

The whole "oggling women" thing does not seem to happen here.

Wolf whistles from building sites etc, none of it. (Unless the site is full of Poles or Turks).

Germans just do not do that kind of thing.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:35 pm

Sage Wolf,
I'm not a man. Although I do get to borrow one on occasion, I do not have a penis. In my original thread, I was careful not to be sexist or to include all men with the whole boobies=sexual organs thing. Stormy put it best what I meant by it all anyway. #-o ;)

Ragnar,
The original (topic and article) was found on WitchVox....you know how there is stuff to read and then some can comment. These are some emails that people sent to me privately.

BB
Lotus