In Review - Pagan Songs & Artists

Television, radio, RSS, podcasting... Anything you can record and take with you that promotes Pagans.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

In Review - Pagan Songs & Artists

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:02 pm

This is a page I'm going to try to update every week or so (with the mod's permission of course) with a new Pagan song and artist with a vidoeo of the artists on YouTube. Occasionally, I will make such videos, If I can't find a good enough video on YouTube for them. Let me know whether you like the artist or song, so that I can perhaps start sending things your way that are more tailed to our varied tastes. :lol:

I figure that a lot of us don't know many pagan artists, and since I am a reviewer, I may as well expand it here. :-D

Once again, mod's just let me know if you don't think something like this belongs at all on here. :-)

This week's Pagan artist in review is Omnia.

Omnia is a self-described "neoceltic pagan folk" band based in The Netherlands and Belgium and whose members are Irish, Dutch, English and Belgian. Their traditional music takes on the form of various cultural routes, from places around the world such as Ireland, England and Afghanistan.

They sing in Welsh, English, Irish, Breton, Finnish, German, Latin and Hindi and play Celtic harp, mouth harp, hurdy-gurdy, bodhrán, guitar, bouzouki, didgeridoo, flutes of all kinds, bagpipes, various drums and percussion instruments.

They have made an insane amount of albums, and until 2007 their fan base seems to have been mostly in Europe. 2007 they released an album titled "History" in the US which was mainly a sampler cd of some of their best works.

The song chosen for today is "The Raven". Basically, they've taken Edgar Allen Poe's poem, The Raven, and matched it with Music. This is the best song I've ever heard of theirs, and it's second only to their song, Alive! (which is the theme song for one of the novels I'm writing... I never promised I'd be an unbiased reviewer :badgrin: ). The video was taken from one of their concern performances Pagan Folklore (concert). They sell a DVD of the concert on their site (I'm hopefully picking one up next month) if you're interested in seeing the rest...

Off-hand, their outlook on illegal downloads is awesome as well. They figure they can't stop it, and so support it, figuring that any exposure will be good for them. Their only stipulation is that if they aren't making enough to travel around, put gas in the van and have to get "real jobs" to support themselves, they will have to stop making music. A very reasonable, common-sense position if you ask me. I'd still suggest picking up a CD of theirs from their site if you're interested. You won't be disappointed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1166DHvSVW8

Omnia's website : http://worldofomnia.com/
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: In Review - Pagan Songs & Artists

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm all for it. I'm always looking for new Pagan artists, and I know many who are in the same boat. You're a professional, too. Have atter! I look forward to the updates!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: In Review - Pagan Songs & Artists

Post by Kitsune » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:05 am

You didn't mention whether you liked the music or not though, Crazy. :-" :-" :-"

Although I thank you for the endorsement. :-D

It's hard to find good pagan artists, especially since many of the ones I've found don't seem to advertise much. They grow much more organically, as one friend tells another. I figure, mentioning them here can only help with us promoting them.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews