Nearly there.

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Ragnar

Nearly there.

Post by Ragnar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:31 am

Hm. Since June I have managed to decrease my weight by 25 Kilo.

However, since December with the same diet, I have managed 3 grams!!

The doctor says I need to loose 20 kilo more to be "correct weight"!

So, the work goes on, whilst avoiding drainage covers like the plague.

Any one know if there is any truth to the theory that people loose more weight in summer than in winter?

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Nearly there.

Post by Kystar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:24 am

Wow...nice.

I've always been more apt to do "exercise" type things during the warmer months...which I think is true for a lot of people. I think our subconscious minds tell us to hide from the cold as much as we can, that Summer is when we should be out in the world...so there might be some minor validity to it. A throw-back to our hunter-gather/agricultural past, some would say.

Plus, the winter has the major holidays (Yule & New Years) that both focus on feasting. Summer, while filled with chances at good food, don't really have any major "eat yourself stupid" sort of holidays, that I know of.

I'm trying to force myself onto a diet/exercise program right now, but I'm having sleeping problems, so I'm not able to stick to them well...as I was raised that sweets = comfort. #-o Guess until I get the sleeping figured out, I'll stick to maintaining my current weight.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Sleeping. Hmm. Quite. My doctor goes mad trying to get me to sleep "regularly".

But since the day I was born I have known nothing but "shift workers", and BEEN a shift worker.

For example, it was nothing unusual to go for a drink of water at 2, 3, 4 in the morning, to find Granny cooking the Sunday roast, and the kitchen would be full of family. When the ship came in was when "morning" started.

That is why people look at me strange when I drink beer at 07:00, make myseelf a half liter of rum and coke at 09:00 or something, because for me time has no meaning. If I have been awake all night, THAT is my "evening".

This plays havoc with a diat plan that sais "don't eat after midnight", or has "calories in a 24 hour period". Sometimes I am just getting up at midnight. Other times I may not sleep for 72 hours, other times, particularly on coming back from sea, or a 48 hour shift, I can sleep for 30 hours.

After 50 years, my doctor does not stand a snow balls chance in Hel of changing me. :lol:

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:27 pm

I can totally understand that. I'm a nocturnal sort of person, to be honest. I've always slept better during the day, and been more awake at night, even when I was a toddler. Unfortunately, I live in a 8 am - 5 pm world, which totally makes my normal "nearly vampire" sleeping habits either annoying or useless. Trying to retrain a circadian rhythm that likes to flip that is annoying. ](*,) ](*,)

However, my recent sleeping problems revolve around never getting into a deep enough sleep to hit REM or dream state, so I don't feel rested when I wake up, no matter HOW many hours I've managed to get. I'm thinking about putting a few drops of lavender and Valerian essential oil into my humidifier one of these nights to try and correct that. I'd try a tea, but most of the medicinal herbs I would use make me nauseous to the point of cramps, so I have to find other avenues of herbal therapy. Aromatherapy seems to help.

I'm also working on getting more fruits and veggies in my diet to try and counter any potential deficiencies that could be causing a lack of restful sleep. Once I get SOMETHING working, I'll be able to actually get use out of my gym membership, so I might make some progress.

Doctors aren't my favorite people, to be honest. They either think that b/c they know the "Science", they know more about everything than their patients, even though they only see the people a few times a year. OR they think that a pill will solve all your problems, so you should let them drug you to the back teeth. And that side effects are either not as bad as ppl claim, or all in a patient's mind.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!