Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Glassmirror
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Scorpio

affects of medication on magick usage

Post by Glassmirror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 am

Hello everyone!

I have a friend who practices with me every once in awhile and she asked me a question today, and not knowing the answer myself I got permission to ask here.

So she is thinking about going on anti-depressant medication soon as she has had problems most of her life and she wants to make an attempt at improving it, but she is worried that the mind alteration could cause a weakening effect of magicks she might practice. She then asked if there might be a way to counteract that issue with some herb, medication, what-have-you.

Thank you in advance for any help.
"May the Universe shed its grace upon you." as said by yours truly

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: affects of medication on magick usage

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 am

I think, definitely, she will notice a change. It's a little risky to mix anti-depressants with herbs because most anti-depressants have not been tested for interaction with herbs or even interaction with some other drugs. A definite no-no is St John's Wort, which is actually an anti-depressant herb and could even be an alternative.

If she is still on the fence about anti-depressants and wants some alternatives to try first, she can go to an energy healer, do lots of personal healing work, and cut meat out of her diet, or at the very least eat meat that is organic, because all of the hormones in meat cause hormone imbalances in people. Optimally I'd recommend a live diet because SO many people heal themselves of depression that way, but not everyone's up for that, so just to be aware of exactly what she's eating and making healthy changes. So much of depression is actually diet-related, but no one thinks about it! Exercise, even just a bit of yoga each day, will also help. Apparently eating a handful of raw cashews a day really helps to balance hormones as well, and someone once told me a handful is equal to one prozac pill! :lol: She could even try a 30-day juice feast/green smoothie feast and see if that helps. It's basically a giant cleanse and there is lots of information on the web. I'd recommend the smoothie one over the juice feast simply because you get fibre and I haven't done a juice feast before.

If she decides to do the anti-depressants, all I can suggest is blessing each pill before she takes them, and I mean really blessing it and healing it, drinking lots of water, keeping a clean and high-vibration diet, and actively working to heal the damage the medication will do. A number of people try different anti-depressants before they find something that actually works without as many crazy side-effects, and because each body is different, she'll have to do that experimentation herself.

Maybe she won't notice any difference in her magical workings. Maybe, by not being so bogged down in depression, it will actually be easier. Who knows?

Good luck to her! And, if she's OK with it, give her a hug for me, and let her know that she is loved, infinitely and unconditionally. <3
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Glassmirror
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Glassmirror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:32 am

Thank you very much CHL those are all good suggestions and there were many things I didn't think of which is what I wanted.
I'll make sure she gets that hug. :-)

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 pm

The drugs will not cause a weakening of her magik, what they might do is cause a slight mental disassociation or a feeling of being slightly off balance or out of focus. It really depends on how her brain chemistry interacts with the specific anti depressant. That being said, if she does get that kind of reaction, which is not uncommon, then she would need to focus past it. It takes some work, but is doable. I've done so in the past, about 9 years ago for a year or so. That being said, the effects can make it more difficult to make yourself do the work, focus, work the energies, in much the same way that when you're sick, sometimes it just seems like a bit too much effort to do something until later, when you feel better.

Additional alternatives for depression:

Kava and valerian
B complex in large doses (this assumes a b deficiency, which is more common that I used to think a decade ago, or a aecetocoline issue, again fairly common)
Tai chi (as suggested by CHL yoga) or other forms of moving meditation. These are good exercise, but the energy work also helps rebalance the body and heal it as well.
Meditation, hypnosis, NLP
Counseling (in combination with some of the above) as there may be psychological factors playing in as well

I've known a lot of practitioners on antedepresants and other psych related drugs, including antipsychotics, who functioned just fine. They just had to find a new balance to do so after the Mede leveled out in their system.

CHL is right that diet can play a lot into depression, on a lot of levels. I don't agree with the specific diet things, but I've watched trends and such over the years and seen them all crumble as well. That said, they usually always have valuable info in them, things like lower your carbs, stay away from processed carbs and starches, eat lean meats, don't eat a lot of red meat if your not putting forth the physical exertion to need all the extra amino acids and heavier proteins, make sure you eat enough greens and get enou vitamins, etc. However, in the end, eating more healthy usually does aid against depression, cause when your body feels better, it's one less thing to trigger the depression and if the depression is chemical, being more healthy helps your body be less out of balance.

Blessings
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Glassmirror
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Glassmirror » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks for the thoughts Rune!

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

I honestly don't think I can add much to what CHL and Rune have already said lol. I have in the past been on anti depressants and also still did my energy work/magicks and had next to no trouble doing it. But that's just me, on one type of anti-depressant. The Goddess only knows how many different variations there are of the drugs now.

But I will say that, from my own POV, if she wants to continue to practice her own magicks, she should probably work on herself first. If she's not big into doing energy work herself, find someone (be it friend or practitioner) to start the healing process for her. It won't take much for her body to realise that this is fantastic and just what it needs to kick start the "revolution" as it were. I have always found that getting the ball rolling in the beginning is always the hardest part with depression. Number One (ie yourself) is always the most important. When you start things off there, and get it 'just right' it's only going to continue that "good vibe feeling" off like a chain reaction in every other aspect of your life. It took me alot of years to understand that I really am the most important thing and that is where I should be focusing first in all things. It's a hard lesson to learn lol, but I hope that whatever she chooses she gets back up on top of things asap :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:20 pm

I have nothing really big to add other than, OMG Tai Chi is awesome!

I picked up a dvd a few years ago on it, and the moment I started trying to do the exercises at all, I found my energy started reacting and moving into the spaces made between my hands. It really does work on clearing out the energy paths within you. It's almost as good as Reiki for clearing the energy paths.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:25 am

Absolutely! When I have a really bad stretch I get out the Tai Chi dvd. Makes me feel so sososososo much better afterwards lol :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:38 am

You want to really experience it, find a good teacher. Not sure where he's at cher, but there's and excellent taiji teacher down under by the name of Montigue.

Stay away from the new age-y tai chi instructors though, they get more wrong than right, unfortunately. One of my pet peeves, actument.

And oui, it is similar to Reiki, however, from what I've been able to tell, they seem to "vibrate" at slightly different "frequencies". Guess eventually I should get my own attunements so I could make a better comparison from a practitioner point of view. Chigung and neikung seem to vibrate closer to the physical plane, but both are active energy channeling schools.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Reiki vibrates at the level of healing and the mind while Tai Chi vibrates at the level of fitness and the body. They do feel very similar and they can react in similar ways, but they are definitely different. I was just making the comparison since both do the same thing when they are "active". The energy flowing through your body in a way like clearing leafs and small debris from a dam clears the water ways.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews