Headaches

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Headaches

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:21 pm

I have a friend that has pretty sever headaches, but not necessarily migraines. And I tend to get headaches every once in a while. So I thought I'd ask you all here what you can think of that would reduce them, one way or another.

I know reducing stress would help, but the issue becomes what if you can't do that for a while?

So what knowledge do you have about getting rid of headaches or keeping them at bay.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Headaches

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Drinking lots of water throughout the day is a big one. Drinking a full glass of water at the first signs of a headache will help to ward it off.

About 95% of the headaches I encounter (myself or others) is brought on by a knot in the neck, the base of the neck, or just above/behind the inside corners of the shoulder blades. Find the source knot, and put steady pressure on it for a good minute (best if someone else does it so you can completely relax). Rub for a minute. Press for a minute. Alternatively, you can press until it "melts" away. This restricts blood flow to the muscle, which will eventually cause the muscle to relax, as it no longer has fuel to remain so tight. This has cured so many headaches and migraines, even for people on heavy medication for severe afflictions that doctors say can only be helped through said medication.

Hope that helps!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:49 am

Exactly what CHL said. Also: Has your friend looked at what they are eating/drinking too? If I eat lots of sugar-filled things in the morning I can get headaches in the afternoon when I have a sugar low. Some people find that caffeine can give them headaches too.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:11 am

Max wrote:Some people find that caffeine can give them headaches too.
*Puts up hand* That was me, until I got rid of my normal coffee and went to a lower caffeinated coffee. I can drink the same amount as I used to, but get a huge reduction in the amount of caffeine the body gets. I like to trick it sometimes lol. But, I'm also a coffee lover, so this works well for me.

But I have to agree with CHL. Water helps a lot. When I feel one coming on, that's the first place I go. I can also vouch for the knots in the base of the neck, or just above/behind the inside corners of the shoulder blades. Between that and the coffee headaches I used to get, it was pure agony.

The CHL has all the good tips as usual :lol:
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:41 am

Barometric pressure changes or temperature changes can trigger sinus clogging/draining, which can trigger headaches. (That's my main cause right there!)

If the headaches tend to pattern with weather changes, you might want to look into some stuff to clear the sinuses. Because sometimes its hard to feel the sinus pressure before it triggers pain. And abrupt draining of the sinuses ALSO can cause pain...which I haven't figured out yet.

I tend to use mints, mint cough drops or Vicks vapor stuff (Mint, eucalyptus, does good things to clear the head), though I have thought about making my own essential oil blend to go into my vaporizer instead of the commercial stuff. I just need to find a good place to get essential oils in my area.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:53 pm

My friend has problems with dry mouth so she drinks a ton of water. So I don't think that is the issue. It isn't stress related or weather related. She doesn't drink much caffeine and she has watched her food intake, as she is also trying to lose weight. She doesn't eat many sweets.

For me however, I know mine is stress. But the mint sounds interesting, or the vaporub stuff. I'll suggest it to her and see what she thinks.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown