Honey... yes or no?

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Honey... yes or no?

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:58 pm

I have a friend coming over for a Mabon meal, but she's a Vegatarian (sorta kinda -- she will eat chicken, fish and eggs on very rare occasions... I don't know if there's a different word for that or not).

I'm planning my Mabon meal, but I started wondering about Honey. I've known Vegetarians who said that they prefered Honey, but some also say that Honey is bad because it comes from the bees.

What's your take on honey? Is it "freely given" by the bees? Is it natural, so long as you're not abusing the bees by taking it? Is it always bad? What's your take on it? As a meat eater myself, I don't see an issue with it, so long as you're not taking so much that you're actually harming the bees.

Oh, and that's another thing... Pasturized vs. UnPasturized? Your take?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Honey... yes or no?

Post by Max » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:32 am

As far as I know, vegans exclude animal products like dairy and honey, most vegetarians are fine with eating honey. I really like honey in face products and food, I'm with you, it's fine as long as you are not hurting the bees. And I'm a worrier, so I mostly use pasturized, and heat things within an inch of their existence.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 pm

Vegetarians - generally honey is ok - especially as your friend seems somewhat lax on the menu items.

Vegans - not so much - although there are different levels depending on how serious they are. but the generally won't use ANY animal products even if it doesn't harm the animal like honey or cow/goat milk.

The only real issue would be if they were also a PETA fan, that's when the abuse of the animals would really kick in.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm kind of a stickler on this, but if you eat chicken/fish, you're not vegetarian :lol: She would be a Semi-Vegetarian. Technically, someone who won't eat animal flesh but will eat eggs/milk are called "Lacto-Ovo Vegetarians" while vegetarian means no animal products of any kind, but over the years, that's become skewed, and if you go into a restaurant and order vegetarian fare, it'll most likely come smothered in cheese. Now, when you meet a fruitarian, wow... Here's a Wiki link for more terminology.

Yeah generally honey is only excluded by vegans, although some vegans still eat it. I didn't for a while. It's more of a medicine in my books, and has incredible healing properties. I'm not vegan for the ethics, though. Some beekeepers are bad to their bees, some are good, and it depends on your area.

As for pasteurized/unpasteurized, I'd stick with unpasteurized because you lose enzymes in the heating process. You can recognize it easily because it's hard and opaque. If it's clear and runny, it's probably pasteurized.

I would play it safe and ask about the honey, though :) Some people avoid honey because of allergies.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:53 am

I am pro local honey, and I go with unpasteurised most of the time because I use it for my allergies as well, I have no evidence to support this, but I think unpasteurised might contain more pollen to help build antibodies.

Besides, peanut butter, honey and cinnamon on toast was my lifesaver snack all through undergrad, I think I will go have some of that now :-D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Hmm, definately an interesting topic. As a strict Omnivore myself, I am constantly confused by the different types of Geasa that people put on their foods.

I can understand them doing it, but not the whys.

Personally, I just had my first taste of Unpasturized honey a few days ago. Man! Ten times better than the honey we can buy in our stores!

Maybe it's just our wacky Albertan honey that was so good though.

While we're on the subject Crazy, what does honey heal? I know it's great to use for throat ailments, but I can't remember what else you can use it for, Healing-wise?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:46 pm

It's great for all sort of skin irritation. So is beeswax.

I use a brand called Burt's Bees that uses mostly honey or wax for almost anything skin related. It's very nearly 100% natural and works great.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:30 pm

Burt's Bees is a great company :)

Honey actually has been shown to provide an effect like that of antibiotics, without the side-effects. It helps with allergies (I'm sure I can find those studies again, Willow ;) ), burns, skin issues, and general illnesses. It's also the only food that doesn't go bad (honey from ancient Egyptian times was found in a tomb just a few years ago, and it was still edible). That says a lot, both physically and metaphysically.

Generally speaking, when you heat anything above 105F, enzymes/phyotonutrients/vitamins are lost, proteins denatured, etc etc etc. You lose a lot of the good stuff. If you even just feel the energy of unpasteurized honey vs pasteurized, pasteurized feels sort of flat.

As for the "Geisa" on foods, being one with very different food choices, I just don't see anything else as food, because everything else makes my body slow, my mind dull, and my "vibration" slow and sickly. To me it's like gasing up a car with the super octane vs turpentine. It's a spiritual thing, too, but only because when I eat the way I feel is best for my body, it is easier to work as a healer and channel and all that good stuff. Others, it's like a comandment. Others, militant ethics. (*shudder* PETA wackos...)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG