Looking for advice...dietary issue.

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Re: Looking for advice...dietary issue.

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:39 pm

I typically don't add salt anymore. I'm sure there is some sort of food that I eat that comes with iodized salt. So there is no need for me to add it myself.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:21 pm

When I do use salt, it's usually less then the recipe calls for, and it's normally the kosher salt or sea salt.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:38 am

I posted some soups in the other section, I hope they help...do you have any ingrediants or foods that you absolutely love? I can definitely find some recipes that work with what you enjoy already!

Just let me know some staples your family enjoys. And how do you feel about curry?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:35 am

Veggie-wise, I love carrots and tomatoes. Potatoes are usually good. I like sweet potatoes more than hubby. I like onions...um...kohlrabi, in moderation. Though, no one in my family has ever COOKED Kohlrabi...we've always just eaten it raw.

I love pumpkin, but hubby can't look at it past dessert. I don't cook squashes well, lack of experience with them. But, I do want to find a few new uses for Pumpkin. I know it makes a wonderful heavy cream soup...but beyond that...lost.

other than veggies, we love cheese, pretty much anything that doesn't stink like or more than my little brother-in-spirit's feet.

I cook rice a lot...but I"m having trouble going from the instant bleached rice to a more natural one b/c I can't get the cooking times right in the microwave and I don't have the space on the cooktop to make it there. My one friend is considering getting me a rice cooker...but meh, I've seen those turn rice into a hockey puck, so I'm not sure I want it.

We don't really DO soups often...mainly b/c I don't like them. The cream soups, I like more than broth soups...but still not a fan. I'd rather go out when I'm craving soup.

As for curry, spicy foods have a 50/50 chance of upsetting my IBS...so I'm careful...that and I don't care for the heartburn some give me. I usually knock the hard spices down a bit in recipes. At least the first time or two...then slowly creep them up to the stated amount...and see what happens. If nothing, good. If something bad, knock the amount back down. Curry was never a favorite flavor of mine...but in some small moderation, it's not bad.

I've started to troll Foodnetwork.com...so if I see anything I think the gang here would like, I'll post a link.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:49 am

Agh, I wrote a super long post and it got deleted...curse the internet gods!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Kystar wrote:I don't cook squashes well, lack of experience with them.
If it's the same kind of squashes as I'm thinking of (it's still a wee bit early in the morning, and I know that the US sometimes names things differently to Aus lol) ... Squashes can be done heaps of ways. I myself prefer them simply steamed enough that they're a tad soft, so that they aren't over cooked; or I'll cook them in with other things, as squashes are the kind of vegie that will take on some of the flavour of everything around it. Kind of similar to another vegie I know .. But I can't think of it's name this morning >< lol It has a weird spelling too. I'll have to have me a look around cause it is a marvellous vegie! lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 pm

If cooking butternut squash, I'll chop it in half length-wise, gut, and in the cavities put a tsp grapeseed oil (you can use butter) with a pinch salt over the whole thing (no salt if using butter) and a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg, then bake until soft at 375F.

Otherwise, I'll spiralize it and use it as noodles for veggie pasta or dehydrate for veggie cantonese chow mein
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:16 pm

The thing about curry is that there are like 100 different types of curry spice. Some are sweet, some are really hot spicy, some are mild spicy and some are more savory. I suggest you look into a site that gives more of that info. I myself have only eaten it from friends, so really don't know much other than what I gave. But I plan to look into curry here in the future.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:07 am

It is really difficult for me to give you recipe ideas since I actually consume many soups. I looked through and almost all of my personal cookbooks are soups. :oops: Other than that, I eat very simple things like steamed veggies with a little bit of butter. I do have a roasted veggie recipe from Barefoot Contessa. Mostly the recipe calls for chopped veggies roasted with olive oil and then a dash of salt (of your choosing).
The best I could recomend recipe wise would be my numberous baked apple recipes.

Due to my schedule I find less time doing actual cooking and more preparing fast things.
As for rice, there are some places that have precooked rice (brown and all sorts) in the frozen section. I had a rice cooker once and it was not good at all.ll

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:17 am

Alternative use of squashes:
Roasting them with a sprinkle of olive oil with other veggies like carrots, peppers, parsnips, onions and potatoes tastes so good. I'd have that as a side dish.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:59 pm

I found an interesting post in my sparkpeople stuff at http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post ... rld_is_tvp

"Each Friday during Lent, the dailySpark will feature a different meat-free main dish. Whether you observe Lent or not, we can all benefit from learning about alternate, affordable proteins.

It looks a bit like cereal, but it smells saltier and tastes more savory than sweet. It's a cheap, versatile and incredibly easy to use protein source that is sometimes hard to distinguish from ground meat. It's TVP. Textured Vegetable Protein. (TVP is in the front of the photo of soy products accompanying this article.)

Let's demystify this vegetarian protein, which can be used in everything from chili and meatballs to tacos and shepherd's pie.

What is TVP?
TVP, or textured vegetable protein, is a byproduct of soybean oil production. After the oil is extracted from soybeans, soy flour remains. All the fat from the soybean remains in the oil, so only the defatted flour remains.

The soy flour is then heated under pressure and then pressed through a revolving knife, which cuts the TVP. Most of the water evaporates because of the heat and pressure, leaving behind dehydrated flakes, granules and other bits, depending on the production process. TVP is mostly commonly seen in flake or granule form, but it can also be made into cutlets or other, larger shapes.

Once rehydrated, the TVP has a spongy and fibrous texture.

TVP is considered by many to be quite "processed," compared with other vegetarian protein that comes from "whole food" sources like beans or lentils. TVP is convenient when you want to make a vegetarian version of a dish but keep that "meat" texture.

TVP is useful for people who are new to vegetarian cooking and want to adapt favorite recipes or for people who want to lighten up favorite meat recipes. It also can be used with ground beef, turkey, or lamb to stretch a dish. TVP is often used in prisons, schools, and other institutions in place of or alongside meat because of its affordability.

A 10-ounce bag of TVP costs less than $3 and yields double that amount. In bulk bins, it goes for $2 or so a pound, which is much cheaper than an equal amount of ground beef.

Nutrition:
1/4 cup flakes (dry, yields 1/2 c cooked)
80 calories
0 g fat
7 g carbs
4 g fiber
12 g protein
2 mg sodium

How Do You Use It?
TVP is often a "transition" food for vegetarians because it looks and feels so much like mince/ground meat. Swap it for meat in tacos, chili, soups, stews, meatloaf, meatballs, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, lasagna--pretty much any of your favorites. Season it as you would your meat, and you're good to go!
TVP can either be rehydrated before or during cooking. For tacos, for example, add twice as much water as TVP, add some seasonings and let it simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.

When making soup or chili, add the TVP straight to the pot and let it rehydrate while the rest of the ingredients cook. "

I thought others might be interested in this, if they haven't already heard of it.

FyreGarnet

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:12 am

Those TVP or soya mince products can be good especially if you are cooking for meat-eaters.
I was thinking of posting of this topic as a few nights ago when I was fed mexican wraps. I though this would be a yummy different non-meat meal for you to have. If you don't want a spicy meal you can make it more tomato-based. Put some of the stir-fry veggie mix on the wrap, add some salad, salsa and yogurt, roll it up and make a mess as you try to eat it...sooo good. I won't put a recipe because there are just too many online, and you could always cheat and get a spice packet :-D
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:40 am

The problem with that is that I have a medical condition called Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which reacts badly to processed foods. The main thing that triggers it is artificial sweeteners, but I've had issues with soy burgers and dogs in the past.

It's a good general suggestion, but doesn't help me to find a way to cook a meal here and there without meat or a meat substitute...which is what I was really looking for when I posted this.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 am

Ahh, now I understand. I'm sorry this doesn't help you at all. I wish I knew of something to help. :)

FyreGarnet