Doulas

Health, nutrition, medicine, & healing.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Doulas

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:10 pm

Hello!!

I am considering becoming a Doula, at least as supplication of my services. I am wondering if any of you have personal experience or stories of Doulas, and if you are aware of their services in your area. (Willow, I'm especially looking for anything you know, as I hear Doulas are very popular on your end of the cracker.)

Wow... First CHL deals with death in her field (hospice), and now is moving on to bringing in life. I think there's something there ;)

For those who do not know what a Doula is, here is the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doula
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:52 am

Wow, Crazy!

That's really interesting. I had to follow the link though... :oops: I've never ever heard of a doula.

I think it's great that you are thinking of moving on to this. What sort of training do you have to go through? And are you thinking of doing this proffessionally, or sort of like you were doing Hospice?

Either way, I think that it's great. You'll have to keep us updated on your progress!

:-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:10 am

I would be doing it professionally - sort of a supplication of services. I'd still be an energy healer, but also offer these services, although something tells me it would become a huge part of my practice. I've been thinking more and more about doing classes and healings specifically for women - there is a tremendous healing needed specifically on the sacral area - and the women in my city are stepping up into a level where they are ready to be healed. We have a city full of pole dancers now ^_^ Not strippers, but pole dancers.

The training is a series of workshops

And ZOMG!! I'd get to deal with little babies on the breast!!! And in the tummy!

Ok - CHL's girly side just came out there.

My favourite Reiki treatment was on a young pregnant woman, and on my friend when she was pregnant. Tapping into that energy is exhilerating. The infant has SO MUCH to say! It's not really always in words, but they have so much energy, so much excitement.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:37 am

My friend just has twins and she has used two types of doulas. one for the birth, and another to help one of her children who was having sleping problems.

I think it is a great career choice. I will give you a heads up though, her birth Doula said it can be hard for people who don't have their own babies and haven't gone through their own birthing experience to getthe same respect as older Moms.

But still, I think it is a great idea.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:11 pm

I have never heard of this, thanks for the learning opportunity.
This sounds like a wonderful profession for you to get into.

Go for it! :-D

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.